Easy way to set 'vacation mode'

MrEstateManager

Config:  ISY, 80+ switches, Orch Mobi Linc on phone, many Alexas.

Folks, I've got what I think should be an easy question, but that I can't really seem to find an answer to searching the forums.

I've got a simple program to run the backyard lights nightly:

BackyardOn - [ID 0010][Parent 000F]

If
        Time is Sunset  - 15 minutes
Then
        Set Scene 'Backyard / Backyard Mood Lights' On
        Set 'Master Bedroom / Rock' On
Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I want to disable it when I'm away.  I see some references to using a simple string variable ($sVacation) or similar and checking that in the program.  Ok, makes sense.  BUT: how do I get that state set from an easy, end-user, "pass the wife test" method?

I've got a Honeywell thermostat with "permanent hold" and she understands setting that when we leave.  Options I think about but don't know how to implement:

1. Somehow query the Honeywell.  If I could query and get info that it was in "permanent hold" that might work
  2. A way to use Alexa to set a state and be able to query it
  3. Maybe use an unnecessary wall switch ?

All thoughts/feedback/links to posts I missed surely appreciated!

Config:  ISY, 80+ switches, Orch Mobi Linc on phone, many Alexas.
Folks, I've got what I think should be an easy question, but that I can't really seem to find an answer to searching the forums.
I've got a simple program to run the backyard lights nightly:
BackyardOn - [iD 0010][Parent 000F]If       Time is Sunset  - 15 minutesThen       Set Scene 'Backyard / Backyard Mood Lights' On       Set 'Master Bedroom / Rock' OnElse  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

I want to disable it when I'm away.  I see some references to using a simple string variable ($sVacation) or similar and checking that in the program.  Ok, makes sense.  BUT: how do I get that state set from an easy, end-user, "pass the wife test" method?
I've got a Honeywell thermostat with "permanent hold" and she understands setting that when we leave.  Options I think about but don't know how to implement:

1. Somehow query the Honeywell.  If I could query and get info that it was in "permanent hold" that might work
  2. A way to use Alexa to set a state and be able to query it
  3. Maybe use an unnecessary wall switch ?
All thoughts/feedback/links to posts I missed surely appreciated!
After using a timer 16 hours after $sOccupied becoming false, for the last few years, I have switched over to watching my thermostat.

When one of my ecobees indicates vacation the $sVacation variable gets set to $cTRUE

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I don't know if the Honeywell has exposed states that I can query...
The old way was usi g 12 MSes for occupancy and a further WAIT 14 hours activated the vacation flag.

Another program slaved my stats to that flag and changed my stats.

I didn't like the delay of response and when I frequently traveled to another city and stayed overnight we would find the stats on vacation a few hours before getting home. In the dead of winter the house can take up to a full day to warm up again.

The ecobee states use vacation reservation tables that you can prebook times for on and off. I figured I may as well use it for my HA.

I don't have an ecobee, so I'm thinking there might be a "manual" trick that some has used?

Can you use the setpoint of the stat?

Less than 19c is considered vacation mode?

I don't know what fields you have access to?

I use a kpl for a combination code for my security system. The entries can be 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, pushbuttons long.

Well you could certainly use the poor man's method and just use a switch.  If there's a switch next to the door that you usually leave through, simply look for a "Fast Off" (i.e. double-tap) coming from it.  When you see that, toggle a state variable, say "$sVacation" from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0.  Then have a program that checks the value of that state variable.  If the value is greater than 0 set the LED brightness on that switch to 0 (that's your visual indicator that you've set vacation) via the THEN.  Otherwise, set the LED brightness to its normal level via the ELSE.  Use the "$sVacation" variable for any other programs you want to run while in vacation mode

Is there a "poor man's method" using Alexa?   I think the wife might like that one more...   
Sure.
Just write a program that sets the vacation variable to TRUE/FALSE in Then/Else.

Relate the program in ISY Portal to the vocal 'vacation'. Then use...

Alexa. Turn on/off vacation.

You may want to send yourself a notification so that later you know some automagic method turns it on or off.

Well you could certainly use the poor man's method and just use a switch.  If there's a switch next to the door that you usually leave through, simply look for a "Fast Off" (i.e. double-tap) coming from it.  When you see that, toggle a state variable, say "$sVacation" from 0 to 1 or 1 to 0.  Then have a program that checks the value of that state variable.  If the value is greater than 0 set the LED brightness on that switch to 0 (that's your visual indicator that you've set vacation) via the THEN.  Otherwise, set the LED brightness to its normal level via the ELSE.  Use the "$sVacation" variable for any other programs you want to run while in vacation mode
To further that you could use the same program to enable a second program for 3 seconds. The second program would be the one to change the variable..

Now you have a double tap twice interlock to set and reset your variable.

This could potentially eliminate accidentally setting the variable.

how do I get that state set from an easy, end-user, "pass the wife test" method?

These days the only difficulty will be deciding if and how you want to indicate that the house is in vacation mode.  You'll be amazed at how easy this is - and how it will more-than-pass the wife test.

Step 1: I use s.Vacation as the state variable.  Vacation mode is considered to be active if s.Vacation is anything other than 0.  Create your variable if you haven't already.

Step 2: Navigate to the ISY Portal, Connectivity, Amazon Echo.  All we're worried about at the moment is a variable so select "Variable" in order to add a new one within Alexa.

Step 3: Fill out the form:

•  My state variable = s.Vacation (or whatever variable you're using)
  •  Alexa Category = Scene  
  •  Turn off Value = 0
  •  Turn on Value = 1
  •  Spoken = Vacation

Step 4: Save the form

Step 5: Through your Alexa device, search for new devices.  "Alexa, find devices".   Alexa should reply that it found 1 new scene called Vacation

Step 6: Say "Alexa, Vacation On"  - and watch your state variable switch from 0 to 1.  Alexa should confirm the change as well.

Step 7: Say "Alexa , Vacation Off" - and watch your state variable return from 1 to 0.  Alexa should confirm the change as well.

That's it!  Any of your Alexa devices can now be used to turn your vacation setting on & off via voice.  Personally I like to know that the house is in vacation mode through some visual indicator as well.  I used keys on KPLs by the front & garage door to turn on when in vacation mode.  With all the options you have now you could use a KPL, a light over the door, a light that changes colors to indicate status or a simple alert via Alexa (or text) that tells you when the setting has been turned on or off.

Hope that helps ?

6 hours ago, Hurting2Ride said:

Hope that helps ?

LOL - that's a step-by-step tutorial - of course it helps!   Actually, it is perfect.  Simple, clean, elegant.   Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Now the only question is, what will I use for an indicator.  The KPL is too subtle I think.  I sort of like the red light approach...  maybe I'll have to get a special "vacation light" for the garage...   :)

13 hours ago, Hurting2Ride said:

These days the only difficulty will be deciding if and how you want to indicate that the house is in vacation mode.  You'll be amazed at how easy this is - and how it will more-than-pass the wife test.

Step 1: I use s.Vacation as the state variable.  Vacation mode is considered to be active if s.Vacation is anything other than 0.  Create your variable if you haven't already.

Step 2: Navigate to the ISY Portal, Connectivity, Amazon Echo.  All we're worried about at the moment is a variable so select "Variable" in order to add a new one within Alexa.

Step 3: Fill out the form:

•  My state variable = s.Vacation (or whatever variable you're using)
  •  Alexa Category = Scene  
  •  Turn off Value = 0
  •  Turn on Value = 1
  •  Spoken = Vacation

Step 4: Save the form

Step 5: Through your Alexa device, search for new devices.  "Alexa, find devices".   Alexa should reply that it found 1 new scene called Vacation

Step 6: Say "Alexa, Vacation On"  - and watch your state variable switch from 0 to 1.  Alexa should confirm the change as well.

Step 7: Say "Alexa , Vacation Off" - and watch your state variable return from 1 to 0.  Alexa should confirm the change as well.

That's it!  Any of your Alexa devices can now be used to turn your vacation setting on & off via voice.  Personally I like to know that the house is in vacation mode through some visual indicator as well.  I used keys on KPLs by the front & garage door to turn on when in vacation mode.  With all the options you have now you could use a KPL, a light over the door, a light that changes colors to indicate status or a simple alert via Alexa (or text) that tells you when the setting has been turned on or off.

Hope that helps ?

I'd suggest one addition.  Somewhere you need to change the init value for the state variable to 1 as well so that it survives a power outage while you are away. I have a program that is triggered by "Hey Google Away on" that does this as well as sending me a text message confirmation.

Paul

One thing I have considered and rejected for my use was a 'vacation mode'.

I am sure there are people in areas that see a use for saving electricity when they are away for extended periods. But personally, I wish to make my home look as if it is occupied when I am away. I live in a suburban area where crime is far from rampant, but I have seen too many cases of burglaries when homes are unoccupied for extended periods. A home that is dark for some nights can become a target.

I consider it a feature that my inside and outside lights can be controlled using the Random option to cycle lights when I am away.
Certainly my patio lights may not remain on as long as if I was home, but the fact that they turn on and off at all during an evening will send a signal that someone is home, rather than two or three nights in a row of no lights on.

Sure, turn down the thermostat, no one will notice that unless frost forms on the windows. But to have the family room lights, the bedroom lights, etc, cycle through a morning/day/evening is more likely to discourage thieves than a home that is dark for 72 hours.
I have a Weather program that will turn on a light or two during the day when the Light Level falls below a certain percentage,as if someone is home.

1 minute ago, Sub-Routine said:

Certainly my patio lights may not remain on as long as if I was home, but the fact that they turn on and off at all during an evening will send a signal that someone is home, rather than two or three nights in a row of no lights on.

If anyone is in my back yard to see the lights are off, they have already broken in...  :)

I have a very long routine that operates at random between midnight and 3 AM when I am in vacation mode.
This entails lights to the appearance of getting out of bed, walking the front foyer, looking outside, travelling downstairs through the basement, peering out the basement walkout, and then reversing that stopping at each bedroom with lights on for about 3-4 seconds each. At the end all lights are turn off sequentially back to the last one being the bedroom lamp again.

This comes with a warning.
In my previous house, I did this appearance of checking the house with an x10 system back in the 1990s. When back from vacation a neighbour told me they had a neighbourhood gathering around my front door that ended up with police attending. Most of them knew we were always away that week each year. It was contemplated to break down our front door to inspect but the police finally told everybody to go home and they would handle it. I never heard any more about it.

7 hours ago, MrEstateManager said:

And you think some patio lights are going to stop that level of invasion?   :)

The Tilt/Pan/Zoom webcam with the acid-filled squirt gun connected to the io/Link  might. :)

If you are housing very expensive jewellery,k most of this nonsense isn't going to delay a determined high-tech criminal for too long. Most of us aren't and that is what insurance is for.

Most defensive techniques only invite a challenge from the neighbourhood juvenile delinquents.

It's the painting over spray paint art on your living rooms walls and water damage from the running taps with plugged sink drains, and the incredible violated feeling of some kid across the street eating chocolates from your freezer, for hours, while he browsed your wife's jeweller,y or even worse things he could have been doing while laying on your bed, watching your VHS tapes.  Been there...we moved away within  a year. Still missing some keepsakes like family war medals.

Alarm system warning stickers and making a home look like somebody is still inside is the best defence again the rascals. Make them pick somebody else's house.

18 minutes ago, MrEstateManager said:

I'm finally back home and following Hurting2Ride 's excellent instructions.

I created the variable, saved changes and hoped over to the portal.  When I try to click on the Variables tab in the Echo list I get a "State variables are not available" error.

I've tried refreshing to no avail.  I must be missing something obvious.

Any help appreciated!

You can have echo run a program.  The program can set the variable.  The same program can send you an email/text letting you know it activated and/or blink some lights or something.  When you tell it to turn a program on, it runs the "then", and vice-versa.  You also can skip the variable all-together and have that program disable the programs you don't want running while away.

Second the suggestion to have Alexa run a program, I call mine "leaving home" I have a 5 minute delay with Alexa announcing a countdown every minute. Then I set the away variable to 1 and check to make sure all the doors and garage door are closed. It's a nice piece of mind, I can't be more than 5 minutes away if someone (kids) left something open.

5 hours ago, apostolakisl said:

You can have echo run a program.  The program can set the variable.  The same program can send you an email/text letting you know it activated and/or blink some lights or something.  When you tell it to turn a program on, it runs the "then", and vice-versa.

I'm still on  Hurting2Ride 's step 3 - creating the state variable  in Echo...  and trying to figure out why it won't work.   Thanks for the alternative methodology, (that I might follow up on) but I'm still trying to figure out on what condition state variables are "not available."

Archived