Suggested Flood Sensors

What flood sensors have people been using with ISY? I've been looking at the Aeotec, Fibaro and Dome ones. Anyone have experience with any of these? Or any flood sensor for that fact? We are going on a trip soon and I want to get some flood sensors by my sump pumps and some other pipes just to make sure we can be alerted by any water issues.

Insteon Leak Detectors work well. They are a bit poor quality and if you have a small flood (more than 1/2") it will ruin the sensor as it sits too low on the floor. They also have to be reset, but that is small potatoes when you have to check it anyway, and clean up a small flood mess. I have had a few with my septic system getting plugged but they may have saved my bacon a few times now, shutting off my well pump. It was cheap and easy all with Insteon LDs, and a few OnOff plugin modules. I need to shut off my Grundfos circulation pumps as they can run dry and burn the bearings surfaces.

I also monitor and conditionally shut off my washing machine. It didn't drain properly into the sink and overflowed.

I send myself and wife notifications with instructions to where to check, clean up, and a 4 letter combination code to be punched into the KPL to reset the programs and the OnOff Modules for running operation again.

I have both the insteon and fibaro leak sensors. There are pros and cons to both. However I prefer fibaro over insteon's.

The fibaro leak sensors can float and survive a major flood unlike insteon's which I like. It also has an audio alert so.if your standing nearby and have a small leak, you can know immediately vs receiving a notification.

I do prefer insteon's way of resetting the device after it gets way. If the water moves away from the leak sensor you still have to check on it which can prevent further damage. The fibaro will stop which can cause you to forget about it or make you think that it dried up. 

19 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I have both the insteon and fibaro leak sensors. There are pros and cons to both. However I prefer fibaro over insteon's.

The fibaro leak sensors can float and survive a major flood unlike insteon's which I like. It also has an audio alert so.if your standing nearby and have a small leak, you can know immediately vs receiving a notification.

I do prefer insteon's way of resetting the device after it gets way. If the water moves away from the leak sensor you still have to check on it which can prevent further damage. The fibaro will stop which can cause you to forget about it or make you think that it dried up. 

What version of the Fibaro sensors are you using? The regular zWave ones or the zWave plus ones?

Thanks. I have both insteon and zwave devices in my setup right now. Insteon for light switches/plugs and zWave for Thermostats. My stats are plus, so I was going to probably go with the plus version,  I don't know if my ISY currently does plus or not, I have to check that out when I get home.

I remember years back on this forum seeing (IIRC it was @Teken) a photo posted with an Insteon Leak detector with long machine bolts protruding out of the bottom. This made no sense to me, at that time, but now after ruining a few LDs I can understand the extensions to get the LD electronics out of the flood depth area.

43 minutes ago, arhub said:

Thanks. I have both insteon and zwave devices in my setup right now. Insteon for light switches/plugs and zWave for Thermostats. My stats are plus, so I was going to probably go with the plus version,  I don't know if my ISY currently does plus or not, I have to check that out when I get home.

Which zwave chip do you have? If you have the newer 500 series then it is plus. Any zwave device I buy now is plus. Should I need to replace devices those would be replaced with plus devices as well. Hopefully 700 series devices are released before either of those happen as id rather get those vs 500 series 

9 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Which zwave chip do you have? If you have the newer 500 series then it is plus. Any zwave device I buy now is plus. Should I need to replace devices those would be replaced with plus devices as well. Hopefully 700 series devices are released before either of those happen as id rather get those vs 500 series 

How do you tell? when I look at the Z-Wave version it says 4.55

13 minutes ago, arhub said:

How do you tell? when I look at the Z-Wave version it says 4.55

It's the older chip then. Personally I don't see a major reason in upgrading right now especially since your system works. I'd would recommend buying all plus devices so that in the future you are ready 

15 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

It's the older chip then. Personally I don't see a major reason in upgrading right now especially since your system works. I'd would recommend buying all plus devices so that in the future you are ready 

Thanks, that was my thought as well, buy all plus and then down the road upgrade the ISY and I'll be good to go.

30 minutes ago, arhub said:

Thanks, that was my thought as well, buy all plus and then down the road upgrade the ISY and I'll be good to go.

There's an issue with fibaro devices @Michel Kohanim  with the New chip where its not adding them at all. The other sensors show up but don't update. They work if imported from older versions but not if added New. They do work fine with the old chip that you are using however.

Thanks for your help. I ordered a Fibaro device and should have it Friday so I can play with it. I might try some insteon ones as well. I do like how the Fibaro device allows external probes and external power turning it into a zwave repeater.

I am using a couple of the Aeotec ones with the Aeotec dock that provides power and two spot sensors. I have tested it several times and it has worked flawlessly. It also is working in my 994i on version 5.0.14 just fine. I am very happy with them.

I have 14 leak sensors strategically located at two homes. On two occasions they alerted me to leaks that would have otherwise caused substantial damage. One device is used in a cellar where the pump for the water system is located. Its purpose is to notify me and to communicate with other Insteon devices that turn off the power to the pump if the cellar floor is wet. I can't speak to other devices, but I am well-pleased with mine. I forgot to say I have mine set up to flash the bedroom lights if a leak is detected at night. I know i would lose a flooded sensor, but I consider any such loss inconsequential.

Sounds like the Fibaro, Aeotec and insteon sensors all work well. I may get some insteon ones in the future as well. I originally was going to get the Aeotec with the dock and remote probes, but that solution ends up being more expensive than the Fibaro device, defiantly looks like the Aeotec ones work well though.

1 minute ago, arhub said:

Sounds like the Fibaro, Aeotec and insteon sensors all work well. I may get some insteon ones in the future as well. I originally was going to get the Aeotec with the dock and remote probes, but that solution ends up being more expensive than the Fibaro device, defiantly looks like the Aeotec ones work well though.

I am using the wireless tag moisture sensors. 

https://store.wirelesstag.net/products/wireless-water-moisture-sensor-2-0

They're about $20 each plus you need a tag manager which is another $40. They say battery life is 3 to 6 years.  Mine are a little over a year old and still claiming 99% battery life. They have a sensor about 5 or 6 inches from the electronics, so it is easy to keep it away from any moisture. There is also Polyglot Node server to integrate with the ISY.

2 minutes ago, palayman said:

I am using the wireless tag moisture sensors. 

https://store.wirelesstag.net/products/wireless-water-moisture-sensor-2-0

They're about $20 each plus you need a tag manager which is another $40. They say battery life is 3 to 6 years.  Mine are a little over a year old and still claiming 99% battery life. They have a sensor about 5 or 6 inches from the electronics, so it is easy to keep it away from any moisture. There is also Polyglot Node server to integrate with the ISY.

I actually already use the wirelesstag temp sensors in my fridges and freezers and have been pretty happy with them. I just didn't like that the battery wasn't replaceable in the moisture sensors and I wanted to integrate it with other zwave devices, I will have to look at Polyglot to see what kind of integrations I can do.

4 minutes ago, arhub said:

I actually already use the wirelesstag temp sensors in my fridges and freezers and have been pretty happy with them. I just didn't like that the battery wasn't replaceable in the moisture sensors and I wanted to integrate it with other zwave devices, I will have to look at Polyglot to see what kind of integrations I can do.

Here is one of mine mounted on the sump pump drain line.  This pumps power is monitored by a Z-Wave power monitor. You can also see the float from a backup water powered pump as well.  I set an old internet camera next to it so I can check it all if I'm really concerned ?.

snapshot (20).bmp

So I got a Fibaro Flood Alarm but have a few questions. Sorry if this is simple stuff but I haven't done much with home automation yet.

1. Does anyone know what the Binary Alarm and Water Alarm devices are?

2. How can I have it reset automatically after there is no longer water present. Currently if I move it out of the water the audible alarm and light stops but the "Flood Leak" status stay as On, the only way I have been able to reset is to trip the TMP switch to Green and then it resets.

FloodAlarm.JPG

2 hours ago, arhub said:

So I got a Fibaro Flood Alarm but have a few questions. Sorry if this is simple stuff but I haven't done much with home automation yet.

1. Does anyone know what the Binary Alarm and Water Alarm devices are?

2. How can I have it reset automatically after there is no longer water present. Currently if I move it out of the water the audible alarm and light stops but the "Flood Leak" status stay as On, the only way I have been able to reset is to trip the TMP switch to Green and then it resets.

FloodAlarm.JPG

They may have a newer firmware but mine automatically changes once it's out of water. Did you exclude then include into your system prior to adding? You can also manually factory reset the device to ensure its at it's factory settings (I recommend) then excluding then including

19 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

They may have a newer firmware but mine automatically changes once it's out of water. Did you exclude then include into your system prior to adding? You can also manually factory reset the device to ensure its at it's factory settings (I recommend) then excluding then including

So after a while it started changing automatically when out of water. I guess I'm not familiar with the whole exclude/include thing. My only other zwave devices right now are thermostats and I just added them to the zwave network and called it good. What does the exclude/include do? 

1 hour ago, arhub said:

So after a while it started changing automatically when out of water. I guess I'm not familiar with the whole exclude/include thing. My only other zwave devices right now are thermostats and I just added them to the zwave network and called it good. What does the exclude/include do? 

Exclusion factory resets the device. It could have prior settings from the factory they want wired out which could cause issues

I have two of the Fibaro.  The things I like -- I can connect to a wall wart and the battery in it is a backup.  I can connect an external water sensor just using alarm system wire with a sensor on the end.  I'm looking at getting 2 more for a couple fish tanks I have.

(Note: I use the new ISY 500 board and the latest 5.x ISY beta firmware)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived