Jump to content

Best Doorbell?


switzch

Recommended Posts

for no cloud and no closed system with ISY interconnection via Rest using Blue Iris software will give you lots of options. I consider BI software the ISY of the video security world. It is nice that you can send triggers from it to the ISY or set up independent notifications. BI has an app for your cell phone also. Disclosure: I have not yet pulled the trigger on an integrated camera and a door bell for mine yet. I am just in the thinking about it stage.  I think I paid $50 for the software when I bought it. Well worth it. 

Link to comment

I have Blue Iris and I love it; I would recommend buying it from the site below. The best option for a doorbell cam right now is the Dahua DB-11, which has less issues than the HikVision (and the various clone models) that came out in 2017.

The DIY “UDI” site for cameras is IPCamTalk.com; start with the Cliff Notes, which are a little out of date with respect to specific camera models, but provides a solid foundation of information:

The IP Cam Talk ‘Cliff Notes’ is a document containing a lot of collective wisdom, and is incorporated into the IP Cam Talk Wiki

To access it via IPCamTalk.com, find the horizontal blue navigation bar at the top of any page, and select "Wiki", then in the "Everything Else" category, and then click on "IP Cam Talk Cliff Notes.

Here is a direct link: https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/ip-cam-talk-cliff-notes


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Link to comment
1 hour ago, LFMc said:

for no cloud and no closed system with ISY interconnection via Rest using Blue Iris software will give you lots of options. I consider BI software the ISY of the video security world. It is nice that you can send triggers from it to the ISY or set up independent notifications. BI has an app for your cell phone also. Disclosure: I have not yet pulled the trigger on an integrated camera and a door bell for mine yet. I am just in the thinking about it stage.  I think I paid $50 for the software when I bought it. Well worth it. 

I fully agree! I have a z-wave door bell from Aeotec. When the porch camera triggers it sets a program to query the door bell and if On, triggers a push notification and flashes the light in the garage so I don't miss anyone.

I also have some PiCamMonitors around the house that show the porch when someone is there. No audio but that's just fine with me.

Link to comment

I have a Ring - but to integrate with ISY I have the Ring driving a DPDT Relay - with one pole of the relay driving the old school doorbell and the second pole of the relay driving a non alarm zone on my Elk. This keeps the ISY integration fully local and was pretty easy to wire up.

Link to comment

I use doorbird as it allows everything to be hardwired and operated locally. Its wired to my NVR so I don't have to go through anyone else's servers for recording. It's also connected to my system with an elk doorbell and ring detector. This allows me to use an iolinc with the system and connect with the isy as well. 

Link to comment
I use doorbird as it allows everything to be hardwired and operated locally. Its wired to my NVR so I don't have to go through anyone else's servers for recording. It's also connected to my system with an elk doorbell and ring detector. This allows me to use an iolinc with the system and connect with the isy as well. 


Doorbird does have good qualities (that you mention); the only problem with it is the resolution is only 720 P and the cost is kind of high so therefore it is not favored over at IPcamtalk.com

We do need some better wired doorbell solutions with the Sony Starvis sensor.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Link to comment
1 minute ago, giomania said:

 


Doorbird does have good qualities (that you mention); the only problem with it is the resolution is only 720 P and the cost is kind of high so therefore it is not favored over at IPcamtalk.com

We do need some better wired doorbell solutions with the Sony Starvis sensor.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

 

The resolution could be higher but with most interactions being on a small display, I haven't felt it to be much of a hindrance. Even going through my matrix switch to view on my TVs hasn't been a great issue. If I was using it to be a pure security cam I'd probably want better. The pros outweighs the cons for me. Everything is hardwired not wireless and should doorbird go under my system will continue to work (except for their app)

Link to comment
The resolution could be higher but with most interactions being on a small display, I haven't felt it to be much of a hindrance. Even going through my matrix switch to view on my TVs hasn't been a great issue. If I was using it to be a pure security cam I'd probably want better. The pros outweighs the cons for me. Everything is hardwired not wireless and should doorbird go under my system will continue to work (except for their app)


You make a good point. I have two other 1080p cameras covering my porch and the approach to it that are Dahua Starlight cameras with the Sony Starvis sensors and when I was considering the Doorbird I only had my SkyBell on the porch.

Fenderman convinced me to not get it, and I went with the two Dahua cameras I have now.

Given the coverage I have now, a Doorbird probably would be sufficient but I would have to wire for it also.

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Link to comment
25 minutes ago, giomania said:

 


You make a good point. I have two other 1080p cameras covering my porch and the approach to it that are Dahua Starlight cameras with the Sony Starvis sensors and when I was considering the Doorbird I only had my SkyBell on the porch.

Fenderman convinced me to not get it, and I went with the two Dahua cameras I have now. emoji44.png

Given the coverage I have now, a Doorbird probably would be sufficient but I would have to wire for it also. emoji848.png

Mark


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

 

The doorbird can be used wirelessly. They just have connections for Ethernet as well. Since my house was new, I had cables ran.

Link to comment
  • 1 year later...
9 minutes ago, someguy said:

Does anyone have any updated comments on the best doorbell camera now?  I'm looking to use it with Blue Iris.

"Best" is always subjective.  A list of various priced units that can work with Blue Iris that I'm aware of

  • DoorBird
  • GrandStream
  • 2N
  • Amcrest Video Doorbell Camera (not tested but they claim RTSP support) very cheap option too.
Link to comment
  • 2 months later...

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...