Alexa and her new disgust for insteon's door sensor

Bizywk

I stepped up from an Insteon hub to a new ISY994i and I'm pretty happy with it.  

I then set up an Alexa routine to recognize that the master bathroom door closed (via insteon Hidden Door Sensor 2845-222) which then initiates a scene to turn on the lights at 30%, command Alexa to say good morning and have Alexa start playing a favorite iHeart radio station without having to utter a series of verbal commands when we're trying to wake up.   It worked extremely well for a couple weeks but now today unexpectedly fails to execute the whole scene.     The lights come on properly, but that's it.    The problem doesn't seem to be with my ISY, but rather Alexa even though she executes part of the routine when the door close sensor is triggered.  

As I was fiddling around with it, I tried to delete the routine and re-create the routine from within the Alexa app but noticed that while the sensor is still in Alexa's list of devices (in her app), and she detects it when I delete it, re-add it and ask her to discover devices, the routine writing page says that it still can't see a single triggering device.   I re-advertised it to Alexa a number of times from the UD ISY Portal, etc.   In my research, I noticed that this sensor is not supported by Alexa anymore.  ???      Alexa still uses it to trigger the scene part of the routine.    

1.)  Are there any tricks I can use to get alexa back to recognizing my existing door sensor and executing my full routine?    I suppose I could rig the door with a second non-insteon sensor if I had to (Maybe ZWave), but the reviews on those sensors aren't fully encouraging and won't be hidden.

2.) Are there any better ways to use my ISY to directly command alexa to verbally greet and play a live radio station than to use a routine?

I stepped up from an Insteon hub to a new ISY994i and I'm pretty happy with it.  
I then set up an Alexa routine to recognize that the master bathroom door closed (via insteon Hidden Door Sensor 2845-222) which then initiates a scene to turn on the lights at 30%, command Alexa to say good morning and have Alexa start playing a favorite iHeart radio station without having to utter a series of verbal commands when we're trying to wake up.   It worked extremely well for a couple weeks but now today unexpectedly fails to execute the whole scene.     The lights come on properly, but that's it.    The problem doesn't seem to be with my ISY, but rather Alexa even though she executes part of the routine when the door close sensor is triggered.  
 As I was fiddling around with it, I tried to delete the routine and re-create the routine from within the Alexa app but noticed that while the sensor is still in Alexa's list of devices (in her app), and she detects it when I delete it, re-add it and ask her to discover devices, the routine writing page says that it still can't see a single triggering device.   I re-advertised it to Alexa a number of times from the UD ISY Portal, etc.   In my research, I noticed that this sensor is not supported by Alexa anymore.  ???      Alexa still uses it to trigger the scene part of the routine.    
1.)  Are there any tricks I can use to get alexa back to recognizing my existing door sensor and executing my full routine?    I suppose I could rig the door with a second non-insteon sensor if I had to (Maybe ZWave), but the reviews on those sensors aren't fully encouraging and won't be hidden.
2.) Are there any better ways to use my ISY to directly command alexa to verbally greet and play a live radio station than to use a routine?

Try changing the style of device in ISY Portal, saving it, and then change back and save again.

I had a lot of trouble with this same thing with routines.

I think I have found if you load the Alexa Webpage App and edit anything your routines or devices with change to blanks.

Sent using Tapatalk

Funny, or not really, I too am having a problem with the hidden door switch. Previously, I had a sweet setup where, thru my ISY I was notified that my mail had arrived when the mailbox was opened and closed. ISY would send SMS and Email, and Alexa would both "announce" and "notify" when triggered by the switch. No more. I can't for the life of me get Alexa to do her part of this anymore. Help? 

Great input.  Thank you all.        Disabling and re-enabling the Alexa App seems to have done the trick for me - at least for now.   Alexa suddenly "Supports" my specific sensor again.   I am able to again see and select my hidden door sensor. 

Strange how unpredictable this stuff can be. 

Archived