EZX10RF

jkraus

Hi

I asked about a month ago if the ISY supports the EZX10RF, and the answer was something like "not officially". I did not pursue then, but now have a EZX10RF on order and wasn't sure what "officially" meant. More specifically, can I link the EZX10RF to the ISY? I know that I can link the EZX10 to devices directly, but can I use X10 Palmpad to control a scene created in the ISY via the EZX10RF?

Thx

Joe

Hi Joe,

The answer is still "unofficial"! Unofficial means that you can try Link Management | Add X10 Device to EZX10RF menu item. Whether or not it works is purely dependent on the firmware you have on your EZX10RF. In short, we cannot guarantee that it would work.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi

I asked about a month ago if the ISY supports the EZX10RF, and the answer was something like "not officially". I did not pursue then, but now have a EZX10RF on order and wasn't sure what "officially" meant. More specifically, can I link the EZX10RF to the ISY? I know that I can link the EZX10 to devices directly, but can I use X10 Palmpad to control a scene created in the ISY via the EZX10RF?

Thx

Joe

Hi Michel

Maybe I do not totally understand the concept, so sorry for that. But why would someone want to add an X10 device? Is not the idea to control Insteopn devices (Which I am now 95% converted to) with X10 controllers i.e. in my case a PalmPad. I am not sure how to get started, but I will receive the EZX10RF today, so perhaps it will become obvious after that.

Since I will receive it today, I assume it will be the latest firmware.

One simple question. Is it "better" to assigning X10 addresses to Insteon devices or set up the EZX10RF to translate to the device's Insteon address by linking it. If the latter, do I do that "outside" of the ISY environment?

Again, a little confused how to start

Joe

Hi Joe -

I have not personally used an EZX10RF, so take this for what it's worth.

"Adding" the X10 device simply allows you to associate a particular X10 device/code with the Insteon device you want to control.

I believe the whole point of the EZX10RF is to translate the X10 codes by creating scenes between the EZX10RF and your Insteon devices.

If you wanted to add X10 address to your Insteon devices, you would not need the EZX10RF - you would simply buy an RF X10 receiver.

Thanks!

"The devil is in the details", but you have made it clear enough to get started. Since I have RemoteLincs to do the control today, this is a "non-mission critical" project, so I should have some fun playing with it.

Thanks

Joe

Well, you were right to caution me. While I got the first 3 codes to work, after that further codes just did not seem to work in the scenes. I am not prone to spend a lot of time on this, just wanted a controller that had more than 6 buttons. Anyone at UDI hears of something coming from SH? The RL is nice, but very sensitive to triggering (just picking it up you can brush some of the buttons and they trigger) along with the limited 6 buttons.

Thanks

Joe

Hi Joe -

You could always use X10 with the ISY as the translator. I have a WGL Designs V572AB and located the X10 receiver close to my Insteon PLM. This gives me the ability to trigger ISY programs by any X10 RF device. I personally use a couple of the X10 keychain remotes, an X10 palm pad, and have also used motion sensors in the past.

There is a 1 or 1.5 second delay because of the translation, but for my purposes it is fine.

http://www.wgldesigns.com/v572.html

Hi MIke,

I understand how to do that with programs, but do you have a program for evry code you use? What about brite and Dim, more programs for each one? Seems like it would be a lot, or is there some trick around the brite/dim?

Joe

The RL is nice, but very sensitive to triggering (just picking it up you can brush some of the buttons and they trigger) along with the limited 6 buttons.

Thanks

Joe

Depends how you count. :D The RemoteLinc has six on/off pair, which you can actually use to toggle 12 different scenes on and off with a little programming in the ISY. The trick is to link the RL only to the ISY, then let the ISY determine whether the scene is currently on or off then send out the appropriate, opposite signal.

If you need to control more than 12 scenes with one controller, you might want to investigate options like the new iPod Touch/ISY application or Mike's InterfaceGO application on a Nokia.

12 scenes? Can you give me a little programming example?

Also, more work with the EZx10RF and I think I am getting it working. Have 5 codes now linked and seems to be working pretty good with a PalmPad and coverage is most of he house with pretty instant on due to it being Insteon transmitted rather than X10

Will keep you informed but crossing my fingers, seems to be now going pretty well.

Joe

now when I look that any of the link status when switching off/on with my X10 palmpad, they do not change status, despite the scenes they are linked to working fine. This is interesting, because when I installed each of 16 links I tested everyone of them and the status changed just fine. I did this before I added them to scenes so that I was assured they would work (which they do).

I know there is a later firmware (I am still at 2.70), but it specifically does not include the EZX10 in the firmware fixes description. Would that help?

Hi Joe,

Do the status of EZX10 buttons change (not within the scene)? Have you used Event Viewer to check what events are being sent.

I do not think 2.7.5 will help you since what you are describing is precisely the same issues as all other EZxxx devices for which we have not been able to find a solution yet.

With kind regards,

Michel

now when I look that any of the link status when switching off/on with my X10 palmpad, they do not change status, despite the scenes they are linked to working fine. This is interesting, because when I installed each of 16 links I tested everyone of them and the status changed just fine. I did this before I added them to scenes so that I was assured they would work (which they do).

I know there is a later firmware (I am still at 2.70), but it specifically does not include the EZX10 in the firmware fixes description. Would that help?

Michel ,

No, I have not, will give the event viewer a try. I did check the status of the buttons outside of the scenes (actually both) but neither change status despite the scene working OK. You cautioned me about the support level for EZX10RF, so I don't want to complain at all. I will check the event viewer as you suggested, but if it is the same problem as other EZ devices, I am not sure I will make progress beyond you experts :)

The scenes works OK, so I guess not the biggest issue.

Joe

Michel

This is strange, all of the keys except #1 tonight report on/off correctly. Key #1 does not although key #1 and the rest of the keys look OK in even viewer and control the scenes correctly (I swear teh on/off status did NOT work last night)

One other thing I forgot to mention is that the Key#1 errors message when ever I open the ISY admin console says something like "cannot communicate with EZX10RF 1" or something like that , and there is an exclamation point instead of the control icon.

OK, so some communication problem, but they all work OK in the scenes despite this error message (even key#1)

Joe

Archived