ISY app

snowtech

Hi guys. Ive been using ISY for around 10 years now... in those 10 years ive tried different systems but for ME there is nothing better than ISY... but whats killing me and I think we should be together on this, is a fact that UD doesnt have their own app for ISY. 

Mobilinc is pretty much the only "ok" one out there and looks like they just dont care... 

Now we have the new poliglot feature and nodes that mobilinc doesnt know how to read... besides that, their user interface is ugly, limited, expensive, monthly paid and outdated... look at apps like NeoControl... even Samsung Smartthings... 

I just think this is like a really good singer with the worst manager... bad representing... 

I dont mean to be protesting here but i think we need a change... 

Ive been sending messages to Mobilinc support and they said they were working on something but that was last year, who knows... 

"Thanks for reaching out! I’m right in the middle of writing a brand new MobiLinc app that unifies iOS and Android as well as completely overhauls the UI to make it sleek and modern. I’ll add your email to the beta invite list when I’m ready to launch for beta testing…Planning on early Q1 2019"

Even if UDI created their own app, it doesn't mean others would like it any better since app interfaces are a subjective matter. There are many complaints about the smarthings app. 

Comparing UDI to smarthings and neocontrol is like comparing apples to oranges. The only thing similar is that they work with smart products. Smarthings is a glorified remote. It needs an app. The ISY is an automation control. Programmed fully, the need for an app diminishes greatly. Compare that to Neo control whose app looks great. However good luck at getting it at the same pricepoint as the isy. I like ISYs model as it doesn't force me into any one system. Choice and control is of the utmost importance to me which UDI gives. I cam use an app or not. I can try different apps to find the best fit vs only 1 app that I may or may not like. 

Mobilinc does have a new app called Mobilinc X. You also have agave, ekeypad, and others. 

Would be a waste of resources for udi to dedicate a team to development and maintenance of a new app considering the options that are already out there. If you don't like mobilinc try a different option.

+1 for agave

This is particularly true since the future is all about voice control and automation (rather than manually picking up a device to turn lights on).

12 hours ago, beninsteon said:

Would be a waste of resources for udi to dedicate a team to development and maintenance of a new app considering the options that are already out there. If you don't like mobilinc try a different option.

+1 for agave

This is particularly true since the future is all about voice control and automation (rather then manually picking up a device to turn lights on).

I agree with beninsteon, and why 'compete' with Agave and Mobilinc ? From what I read in this forum,  the developers of both Agave and Mobilinc have a close relationship with UDI, and together they can give us the best possible options.

Two additional comments :

I hope that Mobilinc can soon make its new App compatible with ISY Portal.

It would be great to include the nodeservers in the App.

Thanks for all the replies.

In regards of Samsung Smartthings, Im not saying anything about their system, I made it clear in regards of their UI and Design, it looks fresh, light, modern, up to date. Mobilinc to me looks like a Microsoft Windows 3.1 or the first iphone OS

Agree on the fact that ISY is an automated product, but we do need some controls over the internet to make changes. Im embarrassed offering Mobilinc as the option to my clients when I fully automated their home. 

I dont think UD would be competing against Mobilinc since looks like Mobilinc is not even competing... Its been the same app since day one. Look at all Operational Systems. Even not being a huge fan of iphones, but if you see what their UI looked when they launched and whats now, its a completely different UI. Mobilinc for being an application company, should be on top of this too. 

Ive tried Agave and eKeypad ... still think Mobilinc has a bigger potential. What I want to achieve is us agreeing on this and call their attention for a better product, Im sure all of you agreed that the price for the app was high compared to what we get... (not even mentioning all the extra module inside of the app) just the fact that the last update was in 2015, that says a lot.

I think the direction has been set with Mobilinc X which is a redesign of the interface and it looks very nice.  For me though I don't want to give up features or trade off features for another set of possible features (ISY Portal vs Mobilinc Connect) and them being completely isolated of one or the other I don't like that.  If Mobilinc X provides the same feature capabilities on par with ISY Portal AND THEN SOME... then it becomes worth it.  The costs would have to be very similar as well as the Mobilinc X and Agave monthly pricing and then Family pricing... not a big fan of that.

I've ordered an iPad to give eKeyPad Pro a full spin and I'll see where I land.

36 minutes ago, snowtech said:

Thanks for all the replies.

In regards of Samsung Smartthings, Im not saying anything about their system, I made it clear in regards of their UI and Design, it looks fresh, light, modern, up to date. Mobilinc to me looks like a Microsoft Windows 3.1 or the first iphone OS

Agree on the fact that ISY is an automated product, but we do need some controls over the internet to make changes. Im embarrassed offering Mobilinc as the option to my clients when I fully automated their home. 

I dont think UD would be competing against Mobilinc since looks like Mobilinc is not even competing... Its been the same app since day one. Look at all Operational Systems. Even not being a huge fan of iphones, but if you see what their UI looked when they launched and whats now, its a completely different UI. Mobilinc for being an application company, should be on top of this too. 

Ive tried Agave and eKeypad ... still think Mobilinc has a bigger potential. What I want to achieve is us agreeing on this and call their attention for a better product, Im sure all of you agreed that the price for the app was high compared to what we get... (not even mentioning all the extra module inside of the app) just the fact that the last update was in 2015, that says a lot.

I can't agree with something that I don't agree with. It's been so long since I've touched an app that it's hard for me to justify one. 

Even on the client side of things, I don't give them an app until they've lived with their system for at least a month. Early on it was to show off for friends. Once that novelty wore off it became an extra app on their phone.

Mobilinc x looks really good. However I can't get into it until/unless it supports the UDI portal and a set fee. I just can't see spending more on an app in 3 years than I did on the actual controller over the same amount of time. 

I have Agave and eKeypad and honestly, I use neither very much. Open and Close the garage door while working around the house is about all I use either for. I have a few items on the Home/Favorites page that give me the status of doors, motion, etc, but that's about it. An app comes in handy on the rare occasion that I need to control something while away but for the most part, everything in my house is automated and/or voice controlled.

In addition to what I said, voice control is making a control app a waste. Using Google assistant for example, you can still control your system away from home with that. If you wonder if you left a light on, tell Google to turn your lights off and it will. No need to go through the process of finding the app, opening it up, finding the device and clicking a button. 

24 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

In addition to what I said, voice control is making a control app a waste. Using Google assistant for example, you can still control your system away from home with that. If you wonder if you left a light on, tell Google to turn your lights off and it will. No need to go through the process of finding the app, opening it up, finding the device and clicking a button. 

Alexa app for me. Opening and unlocking doors with voice commands isn't a good idea so an app is useful there but then with Alexa you can do the manual switch thing.

Apps are the most useful for those that live on their phone.  In my instance I'm looking for a Dashboard Console.  I want a tablet system that will be stationary which is why I'm looking at eKeyPad.  It's to replace a traditional security keypad setup but with added benefit of having camera feeds and home status right there.  This is a small thing that sets things apart and makes the "awe" factor.  Now in a few months of use the "awe" factor fades as any "new toy" gets old and it just becomes "normal"... IF and ONLY IF... it works all the time as expected.  The challenge has been an "App" that just works and doesn't break on every Android update that gets pushed or the next Alexa Skill or Google update etc.  

19 minutes ago, simplextech said:

Apps are the most useful for those that live on their phone.  In my instance I'm looking for a Dashboard Console.  I want a tablet system that will be stationary which is why I'm looking at eKeyPad.  It's to replace a traditional security keypad setup but with added benefit of having camera feeds and home status right there.  This is a small thing that sets things apart and makes the "awe" factor.  Now in a few months of use the "awe" factor fades as any "new toy" gets old and it just becomes "normal"... IF and ONLY IF... it works all the time as expected.  The challenge has been an "App" that just works and doesn't break on every Android update that gets pushed or the next Alexa Skill or Google update etc.  

I can understand that. However that's more of a static situation such as with my RTI touch panels. With that said, check out command fusion. It'll allow you to design your own

15 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I can understand that. However that's more of a static situation such as with my RTI touch panels. With that said, check out command fusion. It'll allow you to design your own

I went and looked at Command Fusion and it looks very powerful.  Just like HS Touch Designer and Home Remote.  Powerful, Capable, LOTS OF WORK.  Do they have integration modules already for ISY or only their own system and then I would have to build the module for ISY?  

15 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You're pretty much doing the work yourself. They have everything you need though to get it working though. I did one a long time ago. It took a while.  However if you're going the path of a touchscreen interface, it's worth it.

That's what it looked like.  Funny I looked through their Wiki and there was a 3rd party plugin for HomeSeer 2... old but still funny.

I've done the total custom work with HS Touch for HomeSeer before and it's a painful process the same with Home Remote which is easy to work with and free but still the whole from the ground up approach is extremely time consuming.

I'm checking out the Command Fusion thing, this is exactly what I want, a way to have just a couple of buttons. Been trying to operate a light with no luck. Can someone scratch their brain and figure out why this won't work:

GET /rest/nodes/4B%20C3%20F6%201/cmd/DON HTTP/1.1\x0D\x0AHost: 10.108.9.161\x0AAuthorization: Basic YWRta01120W014016YWRtaW4=\x0D\x0A\x0D\x0A

1 hour ago, simplextech said:

That's the part that takes the longest and requires more artistic talent than I have :)

I watched a YouTube video and had my garage door buttons done in just a few but the http Get is killing me. I think this is fantastic for a simple few things that I actually need an app for.

8 hours ago, simplextech said:

. . .

I've ordered an iPad to give eKeyPad Pro a full spin and I'll see where I land.

I would like to know what you think. I have a fixed iPad in a rental unit that I would love to put something on as long as it's solid and not too much work. Universal Devices still features eKeyPad on their homepage, but the forum is dead on it. So I don't know what to think about eKeyPad's status or future. I've already been down the iRule road . . . 

10 hours ago, auger66 said:

I would like to know what you think. I have a fixed iPad in a rental unit that I would love to put something on as long as it's solid and not too much work. Universal Devices still features eKeyPad on their homepage, but the forum is dead on it. So I don't know what to think about eKeyPad's status or future. I've already been down the iRule road . . . 

I'm in contact in eKeyPad and I have an iPad on order (arriving tomorrow).  Once I get it and I load up eKeyPad I'll get back to you.  My interest is a simple to deploy and use solution that is still powerful with customization options that I can then use with customers.

A benefit in the marketing of eKeyPad is the ability to remotely manage and to lock the configuration to prevent tampering of configurations.  This is a huge plus for a managed deployment or for rentals in your case where you probably do not want the tenants to change the configuration and break things.

that I can then use with customers.

Why are you installing Insteon (or ZWave) with an ISY for customers say over a Lutron Caseta or Select system? The Lutron app is free, you can give them access to make changes and the communication issues are non existent. Add to the ease of using a iphone to program the system quickly onsite, I don’t see the benefits anymore for Insteon/ZWave/ISY. Add to the fact voice control etc.
42 minutes ago, Scottmichaelj said:

Why are you installing Insteon (or ZWave) with an ISY for customers say over a Lutron Caseta or Select system? The Lutron app is free, you can give them access to make changes and the communication issues are non existent. Add to the ease of using a iphone to program the system quickly onsite, I don’t see the benefits anymore for Insteon/ZWave/ISY. Add to the fact voice control etc.

Individually the lighting control of Lutron is great.  Add in the other pieces of home automation and Lutron does not provide all of the pieces.

• Thermostat?  Yes if you have Central A/C if not then you're out of luck
  • I/O Interfaces?  Yes with RA2 but not the lower end Caseta
  • Integrated Fan/Light?  No.  Lutron still does not offer that for RA.  Only available with Maestro switch
  • Budget?  Have lots of money for a Smart Home... Great!... Lutron it is along with RTI, URC, Control4, etc etc (BTW most C4 gear is ZigBee)... if not?  But you still want quality?

The area I work with is not a very wealthy area to begin with but there are more middle-class that want Smart Home setups beyond voice control or mobile app to turn a lamp on/off.  The flexibility of ISY and other controllers with programming/integration makes a strong combination.  The current weak link is user interface... People like to see status and touch things for control especially touchscreens that make it "modern".  

Now I did not say I was installing Z-Wave for lighting :)

Archived