Upgraded to 5.0.15 but Admin Console a no go

I upgraded ISY-994i firmware to 5.0.15 but can't get admin console to appear. I can access my ISY from my browser and can see that it is working and the version is 5.0.15. I cleared the Java cache and then run start.jnlp but then nothing more happens.

Yes I cleared everything in the Java cash. I did a "View" of the "Temporary Internet Files" and it was empty. Then I clicked the start.jnlp icon and this box popped up:

image.thumb.png.a7492eb7e09c4a3621f274a6427d4f39.png

Then it disappears. The same thing happens if I run admin.jnlp.

Take a look at these troubleshooting tips:

Admin Console icon does not appear on the desktop

• Close all your browsers
  • Go to System Preferences | Java to get to Java Control Panel
  • Click on Delete Files and make sure you check Applications
  • Click on the Settings Button
  • Make sure Keep temporary files on my computer is checked
  • Copy the directory under Location
  • Open up Finder and delete the above directory under Location
  • Close Java Control Panel
  • Open a browser and retry the Admin Console (JNLP) URL

---------------------------------------------

Java applications are blocked by your security settings

• Close all your browsers
  • Go to System Preferences | Java to get to Java Control Panel
  • Click on Delete Files and make sure you check Applications
  • Click on the Settings Button
  • Make sure Keep temporary files on my computer is checked
  • Click on the Security tab on the top
  • Click on Restore Security Prompts and then click on Restore All button on the ensuing dialog
  • Click on the Edit Site List
  • Click on the Add button
  • Enter https://isy.universal-devices.com followed by hitting the Return key on the keyboard. Accept the warning
  • Click on the OK button

Windows 10.

I tried the steps you suggested without success. I was uncertain about the last step "Open a browser and retry the Admin Console (JNLP) URL."

I tried 2 methods neither of which succeeded:

1) I clicked on the file "admin.jnlp,"

2) Opened the GUI in a browser and logged in and then clicked the "Admin Console" button. This produced the screen below:

image.thumb.png.1f74f23a5f39979c91f94591a4c7e392.png

Is the little note in the image a clue? i.e.  "Java 2+ Required"

Is this the memory setting your referring to?

image.thumb.png.97fd30e28d3df8822a58ea22109f98a8.png

I have no reason tho think my LAN is considered public. How does one tell?

I see there is a Java 2 Platform of some kind but I'm not sure it's applicable to me. Nevertheless what does that mean on my system in this context?

3 hours ago, salex319 said:

Is this the memory setting your referring to?

image.thumb.png.97fd30e28d3df8822a58ea22109f98a8.png

I have no reason tho think my LAN is considered public. How does one tell?

I see there is a Java 2 Platform of some kind but I'm not sure it's applicable to me. Nevertheless what does that mean on my system in this context?

YES increase the Xmx512 to Xmx1024

I solved the problem! I figured I should try to run the Admin Console on another PC (PC2). On PC2 I cleared the Java Cache including programs and apps and then double-clicked the admin.jnlp on the desktop. It ran the old 4.7.3 UI but there were errors in several screens. One of the instructions I saw in the upgrade was to increase JRE memory by entering the runtime parameter 'Xmx512m.' So I did that on PC2 and went to run the Admin Console again on PC@ and the Admin Console did not appear. I went back and removed the Xmx512m and then the Admin Console ran OK. So I went back to PC1 where I've been working and removed that JRE parameter. I tried again and the Admin Console is now running. I don't know if I entered the Xmx512m parameter improperly (see previous post) or if it just isn't appropriate but it affected the Admin Console on both PCs.

Michel-FWIW I spent much of yesterday looking at the links you suggested.

larryllix-My network was set to public and I've now just changed that (after everything else I described-it had nothing to do with this problem)

Thanks to you both for your support. It appears the instruction below from the release announcement was causing my problem.

image.thumb.png.a1786f43d7fb58688a2f96b701f18b26.png

1 minute ago, salex319 said:

I solved the problem! I figured I should try to run the Admin Console on another PC (PC2). On PC2 I cleared the Java Cache including programs and apps and then double-clicked the admin.jnlp on the desktop. It ran the old 4.7.3 UI but there were errors in several screens. One of the instructions I saw in the upgrade was to increase JRE memory by entering the runtime parameter 'Xmx512m.' So I did that on PC2 and went to run the Admin Console again on PC@ and the Admin Console did not appear. I went back and removed the Xmx512m and then the Admin Console ran OK. So I went back to PC1 where I've been working and removed that JRE parameter. I tried again and the Admin Console is now running. I don't know if I entered the Xmx512m parameter improperly (see previous post) or if it just isn't appropriate but it affected the Admin Console on both PCs.

larryllix-My network was set to public and I've now just changed that (after everything else I described-it had nothing to do with this problem)

Thanks to you both for your support. It appears the instruction below from the release announcement was causing my problem.

Xmx1024 is better

1 hour ago, salex319 said:

<snippage>

It should have never worked with the network classified as Public unless you have exposed your whole LAN to the rest of the world. Public and Private are security presets Windows uses to trap out more dangers when you are in a public WiFi zone etc.. On a private network we can allow a lot more access to our devices...like ISY that we should never allow in  a coffee shop or shopping mall.

Glad you are getting it working.

4 hours ago, salex319 said:

If you're running the ISY firmware 5.0.15 and you're showing the 4.7.3 user interface then you didn't install the ISY launcher. It's imperative that both the firmware and the UI be the same version.

You need to clear your java cache including all applications. This will also delete the SY icon on your desktop.

1. Go to https://isy.universal-devices.com/start.jnlp
2. Click  on the desired ISY row and, from the menu, choose the Admin Console or the Dashboard

This will install an icon on your desktop called ISY Launcher. You can verify that that the firmware and UI are the same by clicking on HELP | ABOUT in the admin console. If the versions are not identical you may experience unwanted results when you run the admin console.

Just for clarification:

larryllix - It was definitely working BEFORE I switched to the PRIVATE network setting. My network isn't open. It's a typical home LAN behind a Ubiquiti router. So if it shouldn't have worked maybe that means there's a bug somewhere.

Techman - It was showing the 4.7.3 UI only when I first tried things on my notebook. I corrected that shortly thereafter on all of my PCs.

asbril - I tried Xmx1024 just out of curiosity and as before the Admin Console never runs. When I removed it everything was fine. I'm running the latest version of Windows 10(64 bit) and the latest version of Java. So people upgrading might want to know that.

Thanks again all.

Archived