Codename 99.9

black_fx_35

Hello black_fx_35,

99.9 comes in two flavors: with IR and without IR support. The IR version will not be generally available till early December (only sent to our distributors/partners before then).

With kind regards,

Michel

Out of curiosity, I have seen mention of a new piece of hardware, codename 99.9 that apparently will be released at/before/right after EHX. Is this the device that will be IR enabled, or is that a completely different device? Thanks so much.

Will the details of both versions be released at EHX? I am anxiously awaiting 99.9 because of the large number of Insteon devices I have but I don't know if I also need the IR functionality without more information about it.

Will IR functionality be in addition to all other features? Or will programming space require some sort of trade off? Will both versions work with an Elk security panel?

upstatemike,

Yes, all information will be available at EHX

Yes, IR will be an optional addition

No, there are no trade-offs except for $$

Yes, ELK integration remains intact

With kind regards,

Michel

Will the details of both versions be released at EHX? I am anxiously awaiting 99.9 because of the large number of Insteon devices I have but I don't know if I also need the IR functionality without more information about it.

Will IR functionality be in addition to all other features? Or will programming space require some sort of trade off? Will both versions work with an Elk security panel?

I held off on getting an ISY-26 because I'm anticipating something better with "codename 99.9". Has UDI shared an engineering plan / feature list with the community?

My deal is that I'm using a hacked PLC to make it a 2414X. I use this to control my lights via Harmony 880... but it's a little slow and ties up my PLC. I am going to create a killer holiday light display this year with LightShowMaster, which means I need to scrap the 2414X and turn it back into a standard PLC; but I will lose the kick-*** remote integration.

So that brings me to my options:

1. Buy another PLC and don't mess with the 2414X

2. Buy an ISY-26 to use that with the X10 triggers (and use the PLC for LSM)

3. Wait for "codename 99.9" and hope that it does everything the ISY-26 does, provides an INSTEON IR solution (rather than X10), and hope that Harmony updates its DB with the IR codes 99.9 will use.

I guess my dilemma is that I don't know what the 99.9 will do. Will it replace the ISY-26, or is it a complement of some sort? Am I wasting $300 buying a ISY-26 at this point if I will want/need the 99.9 later?

FrankG,

At a high level:

99.9 is based on a new hardware platform

It supports a lot more devices/scenes

It has an optional IR sensor capability

So, to answer your questions:

If you want IR integration/sensor, then you'll be wasting $300 on ISY-26. If you don't want IR, and you don't have that many devices/scenes (256 max), then you'd be wasting your money on 99.9.

99.9 can be programmed using almost any IR RC-5 code. All you have to do is to assign, let's say RC5 code 65, to one of the physical/logical buttons on your Harmony.

With kind regards,

Michel

I held off on getting an ISY-26 because I'm anticipating something better with "codename 99.9". Has UDI shared an engineering plan / feature list with the community?

My deal is that I'm using a hacked PLC to make it a 2414X. I use this to control my lights via Harmony 880... but it's a little slow and ties up my PLC. I am going to create a killer holiday light display this year with LightShowMaster, which means I need to scrap the 2414X and turn it back into a standard PLC; but I will lose the kick-*** remote integration.

So that brings me to my options:

1. Buy another PLC and don't mess with the 2414X

2. Buy an ISY-26 to use that with the X10 triggers (and use the PLC for LSM)

3. Wait for "codename 99.9" and hope that it does everything the ISY-26 does, provides an INSTEON IR solution (rather than X10), and hope that Harmony updates its DB with the IR codes 99.9 will use.

I guess my dilemma is that I don't know what the 99.9 will do. Will it replace the ISY-26, or is it a complement of some sort? Am I wasting $300 buying a ISY-26 at this point if I will want/need the 99.9 later?

I went a little crazy yesterday @ SH.com, but I shouldn't exceed 256 devices/scenes. I am a little concerned about >417 links though.

My device totals:

6-KPL

17-SL

17-LL

3-AL

1-PLC

So that's about 350 links with 20 scenes... and I think I've still got more devices to buy. I'm a little nervous about making a BrickLinc. :(

Will I have to IR beam 99.9 directly, or will it have 1 or more satellite IR Receivers that then send data over the powerline? It's (currently) inconvenient for me to have to program a device near the computer and then move it back to the entertainment center.

Sorry if I'm rambling, or if these questions have been asked/answered already.

FrankG,

You have legitimate and valid concerns.

Hopefully by the time 99.9 is out so is the beefed up PLM. We are currently testing PLM v.57 which supports more than 2000 links. So, you should be OK for a while.

In order to keep the cost down, we have incorporated the IR sensor right on to the hardware platform which means that your remote should be within the line of sight of your 99.9. This said, however:

a. We have saved so much on the cost that you can probably get 2 of those RFIR pyramids and still will have paid less than what you would be spending on a more complex solution from UDI

b. If you feel like running wires, you can use IR extenders which are much less expensive than the RFIR solutions

c. You can use our triggers to send and X10 command when an IR command is received. I am not sure how that would help though

With kind regards,

Michel

I went a little crazy yesterday @ SH.com, but I shouldn't exceed 256 devices/scenes. I am a little concerned about >417 links though.

My device totals:

6-KPL

17-SL

17-LL

3-AL

1-PLC

So that's about 350 links with 20 scenes... and I think I've still got more devices to buy. I'm a little nervous about making a BrickLinc. :(

Will I have to IR beam 99.9 directly, or will it have 1 or more satellite IR Receivers that then send data over the powerline? It's (currently) inconvenient for me to have to program a device near the computer and then move it back to the entertainment center.

Sorry if I'm rambling, or if these questions have been asked/answered already.

black_fx_35,

All we need is an RC-5 compatible signals. You can choose almost any RC-5 code (such as 205, 255, 65) and assign it to your Harmony. It's just like programming Harmony to work with a specific device with the exception that you have hundreds of options to choose from!

With kind regards,

Michel

I to am very interested in this. I was planning on using my Harmony 1000, with the RF extender to send RF signals from the remote, to the extender, which will then translate the RF into IR for the 99.9. Will this work?

There's no way to connect the ISY/99.9 via WiFi, right? and I need to have it connected to the TCP/IP network to program it, right?

The IR/RF pyramids sound like the ideal solution for me. I really don't want to run IR blasters through the walls.

I can't go forward with the 417 link limit. There's just too much of a chance that I'm going to hit it. It wouldn't be so bad if I could recover from it, but rendering my automation useless waiting for a new PLM would be very bad... not to mention the cost if SH decided they wouldn't replace it.

2000 links seems more reasonable, but even that will just be a matter of time before I think of a way to exceed it. :)

Did I mention that I'm bummed-out that I can't get an ISY or 99.9 in time for this Christmas. Really, I'm kinda sad about it.

(Forgive my enthusiasm. I get bit by the automation bug every few months and have a bipolar twitch about it. I need everything "now" and then go for a few months as if it doesn't exist)

Frank,

Michel indicated the IR enabled version of the 99.9 will be available early December...you should be able to have it by Christmas!

Clearly I need assistance with how to use the quote function...

Hello black_fx_35,

99.9 comes in two flavors: with IR and without IR support. The IR version will not be generally available till early December (only sent to our distributors/partners before then).

With kind regards,

Michel

• 2 weeks later...
Did I mention that I'm bummed-out that I can't get an ISY or 99.9 in time for this Christmas. Really, I'm kinda sad about it.

(Forgive my enthusiasm. I get bit by the automation bug every few months and have a bipolar twitch about it. I need everything "now" and then go for a few months as if it doesn't exist)

I do the exact same thing :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Scott,

At the moment, it's only receive. We do have plans for transmit but not till much later in 2008.

With kind regards,

Michel

Michel,

Will the 99.9 will have the capability to transmit IR commands based on Insteon triggers or internal timers... or is it only able to receive IR and transmit Insteon?

If IR transmission isn't supported, was this ever considered?

Scott

• 1 month later...

Awesome work guys. This sounds like a wonderful device.

So basically, this thing will learn IR commands sent to it, and then associate them with an Insteon event.

I would have liked to see a remote IR solution, such as a Tx and Rx 3.5mm jacks so that you can connect an IR blaster and an IR receiver, so that it doesn't have to be within sight of IR. But, since it will not have to be plugged directly into AC power, this makes placing the unit in IR sight a lot easier, so I guess I'm not worried about that.

Is the new 2000 link PLM something SmartHome is developing, or something UD is working on?

Is there a time frame for the IR version of the 99.9? December or January?

Thanks!

Keep in mind that there are plenty of RF and hardwired IR extenders out there as well. You could use one of those products to get an IR receiver in every room of your house, all pointing back to your ISY-99.9 wherever you put it.

That's my intention.

geogecko,

Target is 12.20.2007 for our beta users and those who've already expressed interest. General availability will be the first week of January 2008.

The 2000 link PLM is a SmartHome product.

With kind regards,

Miche

Awesome work guys. This sounds like a wonderful device.

So basically, this thing will learn IR commands sent to it, and then associate them with an Insteon event.

I would have liked to see a remote IR solution, such as a Tx and Rx 3.5mm jacks so that you can connect an IR blaster and an IR receiver, so that it doesn't have to be within sight of IR. But, since it will not have to be plugged directly into AC power, this makes placing the unit in IR sight a lot easier, so I guess I'm not worried about that.

Is the new 2000 link PLM something SmartHome is developing, or something UD is working on?

Is there a time frame for the IR version of the 99.9? December or January?

Thanks!

Archived