3am Query turned on my garage door sensor

Blackbird

1 hour ago, jgcharlotte said:

I don't know what it is with that 3 am query, but I have a receptacle that has turned on a number of times.  It is powering a heater.  I have an automatic 90 minute timeout on the heater for safety, but I don't like it just turning on randomly.

If the action is in the ISY log then this is not the ghost random-on syndrome. These do not report status changes.

Factory reset the offending unit, then restore,  and see if it happens again.

2 hours ago, larryllix said:

If the action is in the ISY log then this is not the ghost random-on syndrome. These do not report status changes.

Does it make sense to come on right when the query happens?

14 hours ago, larryllix said:

I'm sure it was in the log at least once, that's how I knew it was at 3 am.  I must have cleared the log since the last time it happened, it's not in there now.  It doesn't happen very often.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:34 AM, jec6613 said:

That's why I have filterlincs all over my house.  I picked up a pile of them with the 50% off sales.

I think I have more Filterlincs than control modules LOL.  I have one in front of my garage door opener.  I gave up on the IO Linc for garage door control.  I just use a standard open/close (using the big contact) and an on/off module with a dry contact relay.  The IO Linc was very unreliable, the new setup is extremely reliable.

2 hours ago, jgcharlotte said:

I think I have more Filterlincs than control modules LOL.  I have one in front of my garage door opener.  I gave up on the IO Linc for garage door control.  I just use a standard open/close (using the big contact) and an on/off module with a dry contact relay.  The IO Linc was very unreliable, the new setup is extremely reliable.

Real smart of Smart Home to make an I/O linc that requires you to buy 2 units to become reliable. 

4 hours ago, Blackbird said:

Real smart of Smart Home to make an I/O linc that requires you to buy 2 units to become reliable. 

I have one for my over-cabinet kitches lighting that has had no problem at all.  I've tried 2 in garage for the opener and both were unreliable.  I guess it's time to buy another case of FilterLincs.  :-)

1 hour ago, jgcharlotte said:

I have one for my over-cabinet kitches lighting that has had no problem at all.  I've tried 2 in garage for the opener and both were unreliable.  I guess it's time to buy another case of FilterLincs.  :-)

My answer was to put an old access point in the detarched garage that had line-of-sight to dual band devices in the back of the house. A range extender, lamplinc, etc, will do the same thing. I have 2 iolincs in the garage and they work fine this way.

Paul

49 minutes ago, paulbates said:

My answer was to put an old access point in the detarched garage that had line-of-sight to dual band devices in the back of the house. A range extender, lamplinc, etc, will do the same thing. I have 2 iolincs in the garage and they work fine this way.

Paul

Yeah, I think the problem is that the IOLinc is not dual-band.

3 hours ago, Brian H said:

Even the I/OLinc sales page. Indicates it may need a Dual Band Module close to it for reliability. You could even plug a Dual Band module in its pass through outlet on the front.

If the io/Linc is single band and only powerline device, a dual band close to it, should not assist in any way.
This is very puzzling.

If the Dual Band module. Receives an Insteon RF copy of the command also sent to the I/OLinc on the power line . It will resend the command on to the power line. That the original power line command  to the I/OLinc got lost.

I expect if there is also no Dual Band module close enough to the Dual Band module you are trying to use with the I/OLinc. It will not improve things at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived