Downloadable manuals based on Wiki?

yardman 49

Hello Michael:

Sorry for all the questions right now. This should be the last one for tonight!

I know that the Wiki is the repository of the "living documents" that are the UDI manuals. But are there any plans to occassionally take a "snap shot" of these and convert them into, say, PDF files, which could then be downoaded?

My reasoning is that there may be times when someone would need to look up a critical fact, but maybe their local internet is down. Or you servers are down. Or any other bad scenario. As such, I was considering that it would be beneficial to take a "snapshot" of the Wiki data every so often, and offer it as a downloadable manual.

Just a thought.

Best wishes,

Frank

Another benefit of having downloadable manuals is that they could be burned by the end user to a CD. Then when it came time to sell their house, the CD could be given to the buyer along with all the SH manuals, and they would have everything needed in one place should they ever need to troubleshoot.

I already have PDF downloads of all the SH manuals for the lighting appliances that I've purchased from them. But I only have the old, out-of-date ISY manuals.

Frank,

This has been on our list for a while and we just haven't had time to get around to it. We are basically looking for a software or service that converts WiKi to PDF. Does anyone know of such product (hopefully free)?

With kind regards,

Michel

Another benefit of having downloadable manuals is that they could be burned by the end user to a CD. Then when it came time to sell their house, the CD could be given to the buyer along with all the SH manuals, and they would have everything needed in one place should they ever need to troubleshoot.

I already have PDF downloads of all the SH manuals for the lighting appliances that I've purchased from them. But I only have the old, out-of-date ISY manuals.

...We are basically looking for a software or service that converts WiKi to PDF. Does anyone know of such product (hopefully free)?

A search located this:

wiki2PDF http://sourceforge.net/projects/wikipdf

WikiPDF is a mediawiki extension based on Wiki2PDF that adds PDF/LaTeX features to mediawiki. Wiki2PDF is a python script to convert multiple articles of a mediawiki based wiki (pre-configured to use with www.wikipedia.org) to a single LaTeX or PDF file.

I have not tried this app so I can't speak to it's usefulness.

Hi, thanks SO very much. We shall surely give this a try and see how it works out. Again, I want to thank you for your time!

With kind regards,

Michel

...We are basically looking for a software or service that converts WiKi to PDF. Does anyone know of such product (hopefully free)?

A search located this:

wiki2PDF http://sourceforge.net/projects/wikipdf

WikiPDF is a mediawiki extension based on Wiki2PDF that adds PDF/LaTeX features to mediawiki. Wiki2PDF is a python script to convert multiple articles of a mediawiki based wiki (pre-configured to use with www.wikipedia.org) to a single LaTeX or PDF file.

I have not tried this app so I can't speak to it's usefulness.

Archived