Socket Open Failed java.net/can't connect

12 year ISY veteran here...  My ISy-994i is giving me fits tonight.  Yesterday I replaced a few very old Insteon devices and everything went smoothly.  I was able to make backups and all was good.  Today, I made a minor repair to a new scene I made yesterday and when i tried to do a new backup, it errored out.  Started getting errors like "Socket Open Failed java.net.SocketTimeoutException".  Cleared Java cache.  Installed updated Java.  Tried another Windows 10 box.  Multiple reboots of the ISY.  Used both launcher and direct IP address connection in browser.  Sometimes takes multiple Refreshes in the launcher to even list the unit.

What's my next step, Michel?  Hoping to not have to do a reset and restore, although I can if I have to.

I can't remember how old :)  I guess that might be old enough, huh?  

I guess I should note that functionally, the ISY is still purring along and doing its thing, and ISY web access from the portal works as well.  It's just the console that's giving me fits.  I'll check the power supply voltage tomorrow and order a new SD card.  I usually hate restoring from a backup but hopefully it won't make me restore the PLM :) 

While I'm under no illusion that there is nothing still wrong with the SD card, I did a remote login this morning from work, and the launcher and the Admin console is as stable now as it ever was.  No errors at all, no lag, no waiting.   Still going to order a new card just to have it in reserve -- cheap insurance.  Thanks for your help Paul!

58 minutes ago, AD8BC said:

While I'm under no illusion that there is nothing still wrong with the SD card, I did a remote login this morning from work, and the launcher and the Admin console is as stable now as it ever was.  No errors at all, no lag, no waiting.   Still going to order a new card just to have it in reserve -- cheap insurance.  Thanks for your help Paul!

Np! I hope it works out. I'm proactive on replacing that on my ISY and the Pis.... meaning I did it once after ~ 4 years.

Paul

Well, I replaced the power supply with a 12 volt one, and still had occasional issues.  I then tried a new SD card tonight.  I still get the Java errors on the new card.  Funny thing is, with the new card, it shows the current firmware revision under Help-About (and yes I cleared the Java cache).  I tried doing a firmware update anyway and it fails, usually with a size error and then another Java error.  And, in case the firmware installed actually was current, I tried a restore and got similar size and java errors as well.  I put the old card back in.  She runs great unless I'm trying to access the admin console.

I'll mess with it more tomorrow.  Any other ideas?

Thanks Paul.  I did re-install and update Java when I first had this problem, before I found the troubleshooting steps.  I'll mess with it tomorrow and then I'll probably open a ticket. 

I'm in a different field of engineering, but I find it interesting that the ISY works so well running the system but at the same time is failing at the user interface.  

Perhaps if I do a direct connect of the PC to the ISY?  I can't see how but maybe my network is screwing up the java.  It seems that I don't have these issues at certain times of the day...

Thanks for your help!

2 minutes ago, xlurkr said:

I am having this too.  Completely out of the blue.  Have power cycled several times.  Alexa access is instantaneous, as is web access through the portal.  Only local access - web page, admin console, dashboard - all slow or time out.

-Tom

Exactly.  I'm having no problems with programs or Alexa.  Just the user interface.  Started happening last Sunday.

When I run the ISY Launcher, it takes a long time to find my ISY, or it times out.  When I access it directly via its URL, from any browser on any machine (2 PC, one Mac), it takes a long time to start populating the screen, or it times out.  When I choose "Devices" from the Ajax menu, it takes a long time to populate the screen, or times out.  When I turn a device on or off, it takes a long time.

All of these things occur instantly when I access it via the web portal with any of the same browser on the same machines.  I don't think it's the client's Java that's the problem.

-Tom

Agreed that this more than coincidence for multiple people at the same time. Let's ask this, any one having problems, does the ISY seem to respond as normal for things not involving the AC, like something involving a program (not insteon device initiated scenes, which don't need the ISY to operate). There are comments that alexa works.

Even though the initial focus (by me) was on the ISY itself, it would be good to eliminate and go backup stream to the ISY, Java and Windows. There recently were Java and a major windows upgrade. Neither of those affected me, but it is  pretty big change. Potentially the launcher was changed? don' know.

Paul

Paul, yeah for me everything is working well except the Admin Console.  Alexa works with no lag, and all of my programs are working just fine.  

Last Saturday I made major changes to the Insteon network -- replaced two keypads and a switchlinc.  Everything went smooth and I was able to make a backup just fine.  Sunday, when I made a little change to a program, the Java issues started.  I also was made aware that I had an old version of Java and upgraded.  Same issues.  Reset the PC, tried another Windows box, and rebooted the ISY.  Same stuff.  Now, on occasion, it would work fine.  Like when I used Team Viewer to log in from work.  That and the comment Larry made last night made me think that it was either my network or maybe the firewall.  

EDIT: Also had same issue as xlurkr.  Launcher sometimes needed to be refreshed multiple times to find the ISY.

So about 30 minutes ago I opened the console and had Java errors.  Then I turned off the firewall (I use ESET).  Ran the console a bunch of times with no problem.  Turned the firewall back on.  Still no issues.... I'll play with it today and tomorrow and check back in.

23 minutes ago, paulbates said:

Agreed that this more than coincidence for multiple people at the same time. Let's ask this, any one having problems, does the ISY seem to respond as normal for things not involving the AC, like something involving a program (and insteon device initiated scenes which don't need the ISY to operate). There are comments that alexa works.

Even though the initial focus (by me) was on the ISY itself, it would be good to eliminate and go backup stream to the ISY, Java and Windows. There recently were Java and a major windows upgrade. Neither of those affected me, but it is  pretty big change. Potentially the launcher was changed? don' know.

Paul

Interesting. Antivirus and firewalls can cause problems. But they are not intermittent. Antivirus packages take a dim view on any java app, but typically the symptom is being asked to log in the AC very frequently like several times a minute. These symptoms are something else. A ticket with UDI is the way to go in this case.

Hope you get it resolved soon and really interested what it is.

Paul

3 minutes ago, AD8BC said:

Paul, yeah for me everything is working well except the Admin Console.  Alexa works with no lag, and all of my programs are working just fine.  

Last Saturday I made major changes to the Insteon network -- replaced two keypads and a switchlinc.  Everything went smooth and I was able to make a backup just fine.  Sunday, when I made a little change to a program, the Java issues started.  I also was made aware that I had an old version of Java and upgraded.  Same issues.  Reset the PC, tried another Windows box, and rebooted the ISY.  Same stuff.  Now, on occasion, it would work fine.  Like when I used Team Viewer to log in from work.  That and the comment Larry made last night made me think that it was either my network or maybe the firewall.  

So about 30 minutes ago I opened the console and had Java errors.  Then I turned off the firewall (I use ESET).  Ran the console a bunch of times with no problem.  Turned the firewall back on.  Still no issues.... I'll play with it today and tomorrow and check back in.

7 hours ago, xlurkr said:

Can someone answer this question:  what could make local udajax access slow or time-out when web portal udajax access is fast, on the same browser on the same machine?

-Tom

Can't, its weird, unusual symptoms. I can use the UDAjax with no problem and I have HAD (also web Ajax, more complex) interfaces.. they work fine local or remote through the portal. 

Here's a test which eliminates everything the middle, wire a computer direct to the ISY:

• ISY must have a static IP address programmed in
    • Probably best to make is a private subnet starting with 192., 10., 172.
  • Plug a PC or mac with ET jack straight in to the ISY - no switch, router, wifi active, etc
    • Newer nics should support crossover cable connection, make sure both NICs have green lights and some blinking
  • Set PC/Mac static IP to be the same subnet but different IP address than the ISY
  • Make the subnet 255.255.255.0, and gateway(router) and DNS the PC/Mac's static address on both (don't worry about there not being DNS or gateway on the device)
  • You should be able to connect and repeat the test,
    • To load the AC directly, use the Edge browser:  http://<ISY Static IP>/admin
  • what happens?

Paul

Well, first of all, it just started working properly a few minutes ago - while I was emailing UDI support :)

But for the record, everything you suggested above is part of my normal networking setup, with the exception of a static address for the PCs.

If it happens again, I'll be back to this thread.

-Tom

3 minutes ago, xlurkr said:

Well, first of all, it just started working properly a few minutes ago - while I was emailing UDI support :)

But for the record, everything you suggested above is part of my normal networking setup, with the exception of a static address for the PCs.

If it happens again, I'll be back to this thread.

-Tom

Tom

I'm suggesting cabling the PC straight into the ISY ... no other network component .. no switch, no router, no internet.... this completely confirms or eliminates it as the problem.

Paul

1 minute ago, paulbates said:

Tom

I'm suggesting cabling the PC straight into the ISY ... no other network component .. no switch, no router, no internet.... this completely confirms or eliminates it as the problem.

Paul

This was going to be my next step, after I tried a full reboot of the network equipment.  

6 hours ago, paulbates said:

Can't, its weird, unusual symptoms. I can use the UDAjax with no problem and I have HAD (also web Ajax, more complex) interfaces.. they work fine local or remote through the portal. 

Here's a test which eliminates everything the middle, wire a computer direct to the ISY:

• ISY must have a static IP address programmed in
    • Probably best to make is a private subnet starting with 192., 10., 172.
  • Plug a PC or mac with ET jack straight in to the ISY - no switch, router, wifi active, etc
    • Newer nics should support crossover cable connection, make sure both NICs have green lights and some blinking
  • Set PC/Mac static IP to be the same subnet but different IP address than the ISY
  • Make the subnet 255.255.255.0, and gateway(router) and DNS the PC/Mac's static address on both (don't worry about there not being DNS or gateway on the device)
  • You should be able to connect and repeat the test,
  • what happens?

Paul

One thing I have noted IIRC ISY Finder worked locally. ISY Launcher is a cloud based app. No Internet = no ISY Launcher. If people are using ISY Launcher UDI servers may be having some bottleneck problems.

Archived