Lots of Insteon questions. Please advise.

1.  I have a switch like the below.  One switch controls a fan that has no light and has a remote control so just need on/off for Insteon switch.  Is it possible to replace the existing remote in this fan with the Insteon fan kit?  If yes, is that something easy my electrician would be able to do when he installs the fan?  Could I get an Insteon dimmer keypad and connect the light, but not connect the fan to it?  I could then add the fan to the keypad remotely.  If not possible, could I install Insteon keypad, keep the existing remote in the fan, not connect the fan directly to the keypad, but still be able to add it to the keypad since I have the fan connected to an off switch at another location?  My other option is micro modules.  Would I need two on/off micro modules?  The switch obviously won't dim, so I would have to do on off for light.  Light is connect to another Insteon dimmer switch at another location.  Can I mix and match on off and dimmer for the same light?

2.  Builder installed MyQ garage openers.  Was supposed to be dumb openers so I can install my Insteon garage opener kit.  Can I still Insteon Insteon with a MyQ garage opener?

3.  I'm installing a Cisco RV345P router.  How many Cisco WAP 361 WAPs do you think I would need for a 2300 square foot house?  

Thanks in advance for the help!

4 hours ago, smarthome_newbie said:

One switch controls a fan that has no light and has a remote control so just need on/off for Insteon switch.

What does the second switch control?

Is it possible to replace the existing remote in this fan with the Insteon fan kit?  If yes, is that something easy my electrician would be able to do when he installs the fan?

I have seen some fans where the remote receiver is easily bypassed in the fan.  So...yes, very possible, but you would have to inspect.  If so, then I expect a fanlinc would work very well here.  Yes, I assume an electrician could do this (I sure hope so, or else I would have to wonder about his competence.)

Could I get an Insteon dimmer keypad and connect the light, but not connect the fan to it? 

What light?  I thought you said this fan had no light?  Regardless, an insteon fanlinc has control for the light, as well as three speeds for the fan.

The double switch in 1 gang has a control for the fan (no light) and a switch for a separate light.  

I'm wondering if an Insteon dimmer keypad could work for this.  I would just connect the light only, not the fan to the dimmer keypad.  Since the fan is on a totally separate Insteon on/off switch, will it still work if I don't have the fan connected directly to the dimmer keypad?  Basically, one of the connections for the fan will not be connected to anything.

16 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

'm wondering if an Insteon dimmer keypad could work for this.

Yes, I would say.

16 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Since the fan is on a totally separate Insteon on/off switch, will it still work if I don't have the fan connected directly to the dimmer keypad? 

If you are going to use a fanlinc, then yes.  You do not want switched power going to the fanlinc.  Do not put the fan on any switch.

18 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Since the fan is on a totally separate Insteon on/off switch,

I thought you said the fan was connected to one of those existing (non-insteon) switches.  

I think you answered my question.  So with the Fanlinc, the fan shouldn't be connected physically to any light switch for power.  

The fan is controlled at two different locations.  One is the double switch that is non-insteaon.  I was going to install an on-off Insteon switch for the other fan switch.  Sounds like the on-off switch isn't even necessary because the fanlinc shouldn't have any other switches giving power.  Am I understanding that correctly?  This would mean that if I have a two gang, with one for a fan and one for a totally separate light, I would not need to install any type of switch for the fan.  Would I just put a dumb switch there that won't really control anything since no power can connect to the fan if using a fanlinc?  Sorry for all the stupid questions. Thanks.

Edit:  This isn't making sense.  If I just had a single switch that controlled the fan and installed fanlinc, how would I control fanlinc if I can't install a switch that provides power to the fan.  I'm confused.

19 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

So with the Fanlinc, the fan shouldn't be connected physically to any light switch for power.  

Correct

20 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

I was going to install an on-off Insteon switch for the other fan switch.

In general, one cannot mix insteon and non-insteon switches to control a single device.

21 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Sounds like the on-off switch isn't even necessary because the fanlinc shouldn't have any other switches giving power.  Am I understanding that correctly?

yes

21 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Would I just put a dumb switch there that won't really control anything since no power can connect to the fan if using a fanlinc?  

I would have NO switch, dumb or otherwise.  Hard wire the fanlinc without any switch.

22 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

If I just had a single switch that controlled the fan and installed fanlinc, how would I control fanlinc if I can't install a switch that provides power to the fan.  I'm confused.

The fanlinc provides power and control for the fan, and for a light (if needed).  Of course, the fanlinc is buried in the ceiling box somewhere, so you would need another insteon device as a scene controller, which would provide user control of the fanlinc.  For this, I find the keypad to be the best option (which I though you were originally planning to install).  I have lost track of how many boxes and switches you have, but it seems to me that you would install a keypad at the location of the switch for the ceiling lights.  Connect the lights to the keypad switch and control the light with the primary on/off buttons.  With the other four buttons, link them to the fanlinc such that each button would be for the "four" speeds (High/Med/Low/Off).

1 hour ago, smarthome_newbie said:

It will look odd to have a two gang switch with only switch installed. What would I put there for the switch that used to control the fan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your picture is a Single Gang switch with dual toggle.

Right. Sorry. It was a hypothetical. For example, in bedroom I have one switch for light and one for fan. If I get fan linc and use a keypad to control fan and light, what would happen to the fan switch not being used? Could I also put an on off switch there? The fan has no light. I’m referring to a separate light.

8 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Right. Sorry. It was a hypothetical. For example, in bedroom I have one switch for light and one for fan. If I get fan linc and use a keypad to control fan and light, what would happen to the fan switch not being used? Could I also put an on off switch there? The fan has no light. I’m referring to a separate light.

You have lots of options...

Put in a filler plate to cover the hole is an easy cheap option.  Do you have any other devices in the room you would like to control?  How about music control?  You can put an 8 button keypad in there and you now have 8 individual choices of control in that room OR any other room with Insteon devices.  Use the 8 button to see status of other lights in the house.  Status of the garage door from your bedroom.... time to use the imagination :)

2 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Gotcha. So it’s not possible to have a separate on off switch connected directly to fan if I’m also using fan linc? No power can be connected to the fan from a switch. Is that right?

It's possible but not correct.  You don't want a switch that can kill power to the FanLinc.  The FanLinc should always be direct wired and NO switch.  There's no need for the switch when linked to a keypad.

8 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Ok. Making sense now. Do you know of a filler plate that matches Insteon? Thanks for the advice!

I actually prefer the Lutron Claro plates over the Insteon.  They are thicker and nicer (my opinion) the colors match enough to me.  Even the Insteon "white" plates seems not "exact" against some of the switches so I don't think there's a "perfect" match anyways.

If you don't want to use a filler plate you can get double gang plates with a single cut out.  Harder to find in screwless design but possible.  Myself I can always find a use for that other opening :)

Just now, smarthome_newbie said:

What would your use for the other opening be?

Depends on the room and your behavior.  A lot of people have Sonos and use the KPL (KeypadLinc) for Music control of that or other sound systems.  Some like to have the status lights for indicators of other devices, like the garage door being open/closed or other doors being open/closed.  

If you don't have motion sensors throughout the house to automate the lighting you could use a button or two to turn on the hallway light or the kitchen light or something instead of walking through the dark to get that late night snack.

The same KPL could then turn the lights off once back to the bedroom after getting said snack.  

Depending on the room and home layout and personal habits there's lot of possibilities.  Or just cover the hole :)

Ok. So I could just connect another keypad to this empty hole and connect it to power only, not connect it to a fan or light and then I could use it to control whatever Other Insteon devices I want? Also, that link you gave, would the switch be moved horizontally instead of vertically so that just one switch shows in a 2 gang?

Just now, smarthome_newbie said:

Ok. So I could just connect another keypad to this empty hole and connect it to power only, not connect it to a fan or light and then I could use it to control whatever Other Insteon devices I want? Also, that link you gave, would the switch be moved horizontally instead of vertically so that just one switch shows in a 2 gang?

Correct.  The other KPL would ONLY be connected to power.  There would be no load (device, light etc) connected and it would control other devices via Insteon.

Yeah I screwed up on that link and got over excited myself on that find.  That is specific to the Adorn line of switches and they are little squares... neat for power receptacles and a "new look" type thing.  It's actually very Euro looking really.

4 minutes ago, smarthome_newbie said:

Actually one more question. If I installed the 6 button keypad to the fan switch and connect it only to power, could the on off buttons on the switch control any other Insteon device? I could change those buttons to whatever I want?

A "typical" install of a 6 button KPL + FanLinc is the KPL On/Off buttons are used to control the FanLinc light function and the 4 buttons control the fan speeds.  Off, low, med, high.  In this configuration the KPL is not connected physically to any load.

However you can also use the KPL-6 where the load is attached to other lights and use the On/Off to control a physical load while still using the 4 buttons for the FanLinc fan speed controls.  

OR you can use the On/Off buttons to control any other Insteon device as well.

I have both setups in my own house.  I use the KPL-6 with FanLinc's for most of the Fan's that have lights and then in my kitchen I have in ceiling cans with a ceiling fan and the KPL-6 load is attached to the ceiling lights and the 4 buttons control the fan in the kitchen.

5 hours ago, smarthome_newbie said:

But the KPL-6 could not be connected to any loads at all. Just power. Then I could use the buttons to control anything. Is that right?

In general, any insteon device (switch, keypad) can be a controller of any other insteon device.  For any switch and keypad, you may choose to connect something to the load wire, or you may choose not to connect something to that load wire.  In either case, whether something is connected to the load wire or not, the switch or keypad can be linked to other insteon device and control, or be controlled by, other insteon devices.  In the case of the keypad, you can link each of the buttons to separate insteon devices or to the same devices.  

19 hours ago, smarthome_newbie said:

2.  Builder installed MyQ garage openers.  Was supposed to be dumb openers so I can install my Insteon garage opener kit.  Can I still Insteon Insteon with a MyQ garage opener?

3.  I'm installing a Cisco RV345P router.  How many Cisco WAP 361 WAPs do you think I would need for a 2300 square foot house?  

Thanks in advance for the help!

Your 1st question has been answered so I'll answer the other 2.

There's a nodeserver in the Polyglot sir for MyQ which would allow your Isy to work with MyQ.

The amount of access points you'll need depends on your environment. How many walls you have as well as construction materials etc. I've seen people with similar sized homes use a single router (cable company provided) without issues and those with multiple access points struggle. I would start with 1 on each floor and go from there

Archived