Complete Lack of Communication

DocDave

My system has been operating for 5+ years. In the last weeks programs stopped functioning now and then. About a week ago, some devices stopped communicating. I temporarily unplugged them. Now everything has lost communication. I have tried purchasing and installing a new PLM. Restored PLM, restored devices, etc. I am at a complete loss. I have replaced a PLM in the past for these issues (about two years ago), but after some frustrating hours did get it working. I feel there has to be another piece of the puzzle here. Screen shot of all the failing communication attached.

Capture.JPG

7 minutes ago, DocDave said:

Not at first. My Bad. So I unplugged everything and mythological went through the sequence in the correct order, and then rebooted the system again. Could that have caused an irreversible problem? 

yes it could've. The isy was still connected to your old plm which was not there. By plugging in your plm first and then powering up the isy, it was able to recognize the new plm and write the links properly. 

With the ISY, it is imperative to avoid shortcuts. To ensure it runs properly. 

55 minutes ago, DocDave said:

Thank you for the reply. So, I made a backup right before all this went down. If I plug in the old PLM restore the backup, then go through the procedure the correct way, maybe better results?

You don't have to do that. You just have communication errors due to how you originally set things up. 

Plug plm into port A of the isy>power up plm> power up isy. Once done go to file>restore plm>restore devices

I put the old PLM back in and went through the procedure above, just to try a take things back to partially working. The PLM ID matched. But communications to nothing. 

So I then did the same procedure with the new PLM; verifying that the PLM ID matched the new PLM. It Does. Still no comms. I tried right clicking on a device and clicking 'restore device'. The result was, no comms to any device. 

I tried 'write updates to device' on some devices. The result was, no comms to any device. 

I am starting to think something on the power lines is killing the PLM signal to all devices.

In the admin console, click on tools | diagnostics | show PLM Links Table.  How many PLM links does it show?

About  how many devices do you have installed in your ISY?

Is your PLM plugged directly into an outlet?

Do you have any other electronics plugged into an outlet near the PLM?

I was out of town so I had to table this project. 

Your comment about the thermostat leads me to believe it is the problem. I was never able to get my Insteon thermostat to work. So I gave up. Is it true, even though it is not 'in' the system it could be causing issues? I believe you mentioned to me in a support case that it could. I will try installing a generic thermostat and restart the process. 

At what point is deleting everything and rebuilding the setup from scratch a better option?

5 minutes ago, DocDave said:

I was out of town so I had to table this project. 

Your comment about the thermostat leads me to believe it is the problem. I was never able to get my Insteon thermostat to work. So I gave up. Is it true, even though it is not 'in' the system it could be causing issues? I believe you mentioned to me in a support case that it could. I will try installing a generic thermostat and restart the process. 

At what point is deleting everything and rebuilding the setup from scratch a better option?

Unless you only have a couple of devices, it's never a better option. 

Insteon devices automatically talk once powered on (non battery powered devices) so the thermostat could be sending out erroneous messages. You could try to factory reset it to see if it calms down or temporarily unplug the c wire

• 2 weeks later...

Finally figured this one out after an exhausting couple of weeks. After tearing the system down to nothing and adding components one at a time I kept getting the same communication problems. I even purchased a new PLM (kinda nice having a spare anyways), and no better results. The final test was to eliminate the Insteon Thermostat; I had to wait for a new thermostat to arrive because I did not want to have no heating & cooling. I am happy to report I installed a new Honeywell smart thermostat (outside the ISY system) last night and within minutes the system started coming back to life on it's own. I logged into the ISY and did the rebuilding procedures and bam, all good. In fact everything is responding much quicker as well. Program changes take seconds to update instead of taking 5-10 minutes. Obviously the Insteon 2441TH Thermostat was the problem. It's laying in my Insteon box 'o parts now. 

Thanks all for the feedback and suggestions, it ultimately got me looking in the correct direction. 

Archived