Emails/notifications tab broken in 4.7.3

mfullerca

Hi.  I have an isy994i running 4.7.3 (both firmware and UI).  I've had it since 2013 (3.x firmware!) and it generally works fine, but on the upgrade from 4.6.2 to 4.7.3 the "Emails/notifications" tab broke, and now I need to change my email address and cannot.  All the other tabs work, and the "Emails/notifications" tab exists, just clicking on it messes-up the UI.  There is still something going on because if I use the tab key to navigate, occasionally it'll paint an input box, and with enough effort I can figure-out what some of them are, but there's not enough context to find the right button to edit and save my email address.

Btw I've tried this on both MacOS and Ubuntu.  On Ubuntu where I'm running Java from the command-line, I also tried Java 8, 9, and 11, and all exhibit this problem.  Below is the exception I get when I click on the "Emails/notifications" tab:

Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0" java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JTable.prepareRenderer(JTable.java:5758)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthTableUI.paintCell(SynthTableUI.java:679)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthTableUI.paintCells(SynthTableUI.java:576)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthTableUI.paint(SynthTableUI.java:360)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.plaf.synth.SynthTableUI.update(SynthTableUI.java:273)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.paintComponent(JComponent.java:798)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1075)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.paintChildren(JComponent.java:908)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.paint(JComponent.java:1084)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JViewport.paint(JViewport.java:737)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.paintToOffscreen(JComponent.java:5256)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.BufferStrategyPaintManager.paint(BufferStrategyPaintManager.java:246)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager.paint(RepaintManager.java:1313)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent._paintImmediately(JComponent.java:5204)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.paintImmediately(JComponent.java:5014)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager$4.run(RepaintManager.java:857)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager$4.run(RepaintManager.java:840)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:89)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:840)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager.paintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:815)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager.prePaintDirtyRegions(RepaintManager.java:764)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager.access$1200(RepaintManager.java:69)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.RepaintManager$ProcessingRunnable.run(RepaintManager.java:1880)
at java.desktop/java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(InvocationEvent.java:313)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:764)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:717)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:711)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:89)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:734)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:199)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're talking about.  I work in network security and have never heard the term "java firewall allowances", nor does Google turn-up anything obvious.  The Mac isn't mine and I'm not a Mac person, so I don't know what all settings it has, but the Ubuntu system is the same one that I'd been using for years to manage the isy994i and nothing relevant has changed on it, nor does it have a "firewall", nor is there anything between it and the isy994i.  Also on Ubuntu I've always downloaded the .jar's and run Java from the command-line so that I'm not susceptible to all these browser-running-Java security issues, cache issues, etc.

Ultimately the fact that I get the exact same behaviour on the Mac (launched through the browser) and Ubuntu (run from the command-line) is telling that the problem is on the isy994i end, not the client/browser end.

1 hour ago, mfullerca said:

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're talking about.  I work in network security and have never heard the term "java firewall allowances", nor does Google turn-up anything obvious.  The Mac isn't mine and I'm not a Mac person, so I don't know what all settings it has, but the Ubuntu system is the same one that I'd been using for years to manage the isy994i and nothing relevant has changed on it, nor does it have a "firewall", nor is there anything between it and the isy994i.  Also on Ubuntu I've always downloaded the .jar's and run Java from the command-line so that I'm not susceptible to all these browser-running-Java security issues, cache issues, etc.

Ultimately the fact that I get the exact same behaviour on the Mac (launched through the browser) and Ubuntu (run from the command-line) is telling that the problem is on the isy994i end, not the client/browser end.

Try one these I found for that expression. Maybe Google has taken java off it's "allowance" list  :) 
https://www.bing.com/search?q=java+firewall+allowance&form=EDGNB3&mkt=en-ca&httpsmsn=1&plvar=0&refig=3dfbbf8dd65d407bf6ae7e1ea788a139&sp=-1&ghc=1&pq=java+firewall+a&sc=0-15&qs=n&sk=&cvid=3dfbbf8dd65d407bf6ae7e1ea788a139

Look into your java admin/control console, to find the firewall settings. It may require your ISY IP address added to the permissions  list, it it will block requests coming from that IP address. I am not sure how iOS things look (and don't really want to)  but surely Apple will let you make a setting inside your java firewall without their approval first. :) 

Just a random observance...is the checkbox for "use default" checked.

I noticed if that is checked you can't edit the address information. But if you've previously edited it then it should be available to edit again. Perhaps something triggered the checkbox to be marked and isn't allowing you to enter your own information.

4 hours ago, mfullerca said:

Take a look at this link:

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page#Java_applications_are_blocked_by_your_security_settings

Archived