Is anyone here afraid of Insteon disapearing?

Blackbird

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, mango said:

Dragging this old thread out of the mud, just to see if there is any new news? I have been away from the scene for quite some time, but was having difficulty purchasing new hardware so came here to see whether the writing is on the wall.

Everything is still the same. More stuff is out of stock due to covid

7 hours ago, Goose66 said:

A lot of people of afraid of where, if anywhere, Insteon is going. E.g., if they drop support for PLMs, then where does that leave ISY users, etc. See:

Since Insteon just released a new PLM design, and Insteon has absolutely  no use for a separate PLM plug-in, at all, I see this as a vote of support for UDI's ISY/PolyGlot products from Insteon.

"It's alive!!" ?

1 minute ago, larryllix said:

Yeah, after waiting for a month and a half I received a PLM V2.5 from aartech.ca. They haven't discontinued progress or the line.

I'm not questioning them continuing business as usual.  They will get more stock that's just a supply issue.  I know there's "new" stuff talked about and some "new" stuff coming but so far there's nothing real about a "new" PLM with improvements.  Wouldn't it be amazing if they made the RF part of dual band actually USEFUL? :)

7 minutes ago, simplextech said:

I'm not questioning them continuing business as usual.  They will get more stock that's just a supply issue.  I know there's "new" stuff talked about and some "new" stuff coming but so far there's nothing real about a "new" PLM with improvements.  Wouldn't it be amazing if they made the RF part of dual band actually USEFUL? :)

I don't understand your point. Insteon created a modified design and produced it after months since the last rev was released. From what I can tell a new PLM unit was all chat room fantasy and never from the mouths of Insteon.

I have been using Insteon RF for 7 years now.

1 minute ago, larryllix said:

I don't understand your point. Insteon created a modified design and produced it after months since the last rev was released. From what I can tell a new PLM unit was all chat room fantasy and never from the mouths of Insteon.

I have been using Insteon RF for 7 years now.

Well that makes two of us as I was replying about "new" and you posted about a PLM v2.5 which is not "new".

Either way doesn't matter.  Glad there's new stuff coming out someday.

51 minutes ago, simplextech said:

Well that makes two of us as I was replying about "new" and you posted about a PLM v2.5 which is not "new".

Either way doesn't matter.  Glad there's new stuff coming out someday.

hmmmmm. maybe it was Rev2.6. I will have to check in the morning.

Just now, simplextech said:

Tell me when 3.0 comes out ;)

I doubt I will be buying a PLM again. I have three units now. I got caught with the battery writes update making a mess of my ISY and I thought I had a PLM problem so I ordered a new one months ago and it took a few to get the latest rev.

I went back to my original PLM, 7 years and a month old now, that has always worked without problem. Everything is working fine now but I had to put about 5  SwitchLinc dimmers into linking mode, to clear out the ISY update cache traffic jam. None of my SwitchLincs have ever required linking mode before.

I need to install this new PLM to test it before the return period is up but I just hate swapping PLMs as it takes a whole day of relinking everything while ISY is cache bound.

I have seen V2.7 posted recently.

Long time ago. I had a Smarthome Engineer tell me some revision updates where not for a design change but a different manufacturers equivalent part was being used.

So what V2.6 and V2.7 have differently. I sure can't say. I also have a box full of older 2412S and now 2413S PLMs. ?

Insteon support told me they weren't producing the new PLM (the "PLM Pro," I think). That was over a year ago. We had many conversations here and on Slack channel about it then, as I recall.

Maybe we (I) are conflating the "new" PLM (PLM Pro) with a "new" PLM (new revision of existing PLM).

4 hours ago, Goose66 said:

Insteon support told me they weren't producing the new PLM (the "PLM Pro," I think). That was over a year ago. We had many conversations here and on Slack channel about it then, as I recall.

Maybe we (I) are conflating the "new" PLM (PLM Pro) with a "new" PLM (new revision of existing PLM).

I thought the PLM Pro was a fantasy that Teken dreamed up and tried to rally support for, in another forum a few years back. It was only a pipe dream then. Next thing you know the fantasy was being tooted in this forum as a reality. (in the classic telephone game style)

There is a new Interface in the FCC Database.

Bigger link database 1000-4000, can again power the ISY994i through the serial port connector, universal power supply, AC Input connector is a sub assembly and in theory could be changed for other parts of the world. USB,Serial Port and network port styes. Now if it ever sees the light of day I can't say.

15 hours ago, Brian H said:

There is a new Interface in the FCC Database.

Bigger link database 1000-4000, can again power the ISY994i through the serial port connector, universal power supply, AC Input connector is a sub assembly and in theory could be changed for other parts of the world. USB,Serial Port and network port styes. Now if it ever sees the light of day I can't say.

This sounds like the one I was talking about, but I wouldn't consider it "new." It's been out there for quite some time and discussed in these forums. This is the one I called about before I bought my last PLM and was told by Insteon support it wasn't being developed. It was before COVID.

EDIT - found it:

1 hour ago, Goose66 said:

This sounds like the one I was talking about, but I wouldn't consider it "new." It's been out there for quite some time and discussed in these forums. This is the one I called about before I bought my last PLM and was told by Insteon support it wasn't being developed. It was before COVID.

EDIT - found it:

The higher link limit was implemented a few years ago about PLM Rev2.1 IIRC. I never needed on so I didn't pay much attention to the ramblings.

I do remember for a short time. Smarthome did indicate  a +2000 link database.

The old 2412S PLM went from 417 Links to 2016 Links but with slower memory speed. Anything over around  800 Links and problems showed up.

It has been 1000 Links for a long time. Well before 2.1

I do know for awhile the sales site said +2000 links. Around V2.1 and then quietly changed back to +1000.

All I can say is my V2.1 has exact same 24LC64 memory chip on the daughter board. As my original V1.0 all the way to V2.5 2413S PLMs.

If it was not a mistake. The +2000 link database was short lived.

Archived