Linking motion sensor to scene

Z-wave motion sensor?  Insteon motion sensor?  You may also have to be more precise -- in some cases, the specific model makes a difference.

In general, though, the motion sensor's "motion" node would have to be the "controller in the scene, and the light would be the "responder" in the scene.  Confirm that this is the case first.

Finally, bathrooms are tricky things with motion sensors and lights.  Very tricky -- people often don't move much for a notable period of time, during which they tend to grow very angry if they are suddenly plunged into darkness.  On the other hand, people also don't tend to appreciate 500 watts of light blasting open when they enter a bathroom at 2AM in the morning...  My point is that you may very well find a program, or even a set of cooperating programs, to be a better choice than a scene.

(I chose to NOT automate anything with the ISY in any bathrooms -- the fans are on a manual timer, and all light switches are dumb light switches.  Peace is more important to me than saving a few pennies should someone leave the lights on for a while...)

1 hour ago, smarthome_newbie said:

I'm trying to get my bathroom lights to turn on when motion is sensed.  I added the bathroom light, "motion", tamper" and "motion enabled" to the scene.  Not sure what the "tamper "and "motion enabled" controls are for.  How do I get the lights to turn on when motion is sensed?  I don't see a setting. Thanks.

I don't directly link my sensors using scenes. I have much more flexibility using programs Instead.

I do agree with MWester that bathrooms are tricky. Being a newbie, with alot to learn, I would let that be one of the last things I touch. Gain more experience to understand how to handle the nuances of what you're trying to do.  I do automate my bathrooms, but it took alot of fiddling to get things right. I added a door sensor which triggers how my programs are used. If the door is open, the lights have a shorter timer. It's assumed a person is washing hands or doing some type of movement that should trigger the sensor. If the door is closed then a person most likely is using the bathroom and may or may not trigger the sensor. 

With that said, all you have to do is add the motion to your scene. The others are irrelevant for what you are trying to do

6 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I don't directly link my sensors using scenes. I have much more flexibility using programs Instead.

I do agree with MWester that bathrooms are tricky. Being a newbie, with alot to learn, I would let that be one of the last things I touch. Gain more experience to understand how to handle the nuances of what you're trying to do.  I do automate my bathrooms, but it took alot of fiddling to get things right. I added a door sensor which triggers how my programs are used. If the door is open, the lights have a shorter timer. It's assumed a person is washing hands or doing some type of movement that should trigger the sensor. If the door is closed then a person most likely is using the bathroom and may or may not trigger the sensor. 

With that said, all you have to do is add the motion to your scene. The others are irrelevant for what you are trying to do

Door sensor and motion sensor combo sounds like a good idea.  I'm trying to start simple though.  Can you explain how to get the motion sensor to turn on a switch using a scene? Is it as simple as adding the motion as controller and switch as responder?

Archived