Alexa routine can now turn on Guard (spoiler, can't turn it off)

TexMike

I noticed that Amazon finally added Guard to routines. Defined a new variable in ISY and exposed it as a motion sensor in the portal. Created a routine to turn on guard when away... all good. Started routine to turn off when home and discover you can only turn on. Really Amazon!

12 hours ago, TexMike said:

I noticed that Amazon finally added Guard to routines. Defined a new variable in ISY and exposed it as a motion sensor in the portal. Created a routine to turn on guard when away... all good. Started routine to turn off when home and discover you can only turn on. Really Amazon!

Having the ability to turn it on with ISY is great. Given the inane inability to turn it off (I saw a Alexa forum entry saying it was a security risk to provide that function - huh?), I'm trying to figure out a way to remind my wife it's on when she comes home before me. My devices no longer display the swirling yellow ring when Guard is active, so it's only apparent on my phone notifications.

You have to remember that these setups like Alexa, Google, ring, etc. are there for the non savvy homeowners, renters, etc. For the most part, people who really don't understand the full consequences of what they desire to do. 

Due to their consumer base, Amazon (and other in similar situations) will err on the side of caution when it comes to security regardless of whether their concerns are real or perceived.

Unlike the homeowner, they have to deal with stuff we don't such as the gotcha media, lawsuits, etc. Even for me, there are things that I won't do for clients that I do in my own home. It's not worth the risk.

• 1 year later...

Archived