Irrigation

ronbo

From what I have seen on the Smartenit site.

They went back to the 2412 base PLM assembly for their modules. For that reason. 2413 base PLM assembly power supply issues. I believe they get base 2412 PLM assembly made just for them by Smarthome.

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2020 at 11:41 PM, andrewm said:

I updated my Irrigation programs over the weekend to switch from using the Climate Module to Weatherbit using some calculations not dissimilar to Randy's.

One extra bit I did was to include rainfall forecast in the IrrigationRequirement calculation, on the assumption evapotranspiration doesn't include it? Note that neither Weatherbit nor Climacell nodeservers report actual cumulative rainfall for the current day. They do have a current hourly rainfall rate, but to track and accumulate that would be a pita. So until I get my Tempest weatherstation, forecast rainfall will have to do.

I have recently started using Climacell as well. I think it has updated their systems for irrigation data as I am getting quite positive results so far. The hourly rainfall data is especially useful for me. I have'nt tried Weatherbit yet, but I have been disappointed with several other apps and software. I might try Weatherbit as a backup.

• 5 months later...

I'm currently trying to get useful weather/irrigation info (used to use the climate module) into the ISY for determination of when to water. Have people made any further discoveries not detailed in this thread?

@ronbo I would be interested in ETo sources as I try to put in appropriate numbers for our turf (some form of cool season grass I'm sure as I live in CO). I found this as one example:  https://www.irrigation.org/IA/FileUploads/IA/Resources/TechnicalPapers/2008/TurfgrassCropCoefficientsInTheU.S..pdf

By default, the Climacell Polyglot node server uses a crop coefficient of 0.23 which looks quite a bit off for a cool season turf (probably 0.85 or 0.90) and so I would need to adjust it.

16 hours ago, MrTinker said:

I'm currently trying to get useful weather/irrigation info (used to use the climate module) into the ISY for determination of when to water. Have people made any further discoveries not detailed in this thread?

@ronbo I would be interested in ETo sources as I try to put in appropriate numbers for our turf (some form of cool season grass I'm sure as I live in CO). I found this as one example:  https://www.irrigation.org/IA/FileUploads/IA/Resources/TechnicalPapers/2008/TurfgrassCropCoefficientsInTheU.S..pdf

By default, the Climacell Polyglot node server uses a crop coefficient of 0.23 which looks quite a bit off for a cool season turf (probably 0.85 or 0.90) and so I would need to adjust it.

I found the same sheet, and I think it's useful.  Here's another link to some useful information. 

I broke down and bought a RainMachine and a WeatherFlow weather station a few years ago, and it made the whole project much more manageable.  I only use the ISY/RainMachine/WeatherFlow nodeserver combo to cover exceptional circumstances where additional water is required (basically, new plantings and lawn repair).  Otherwise, it runs itself and does a very tidy job of it.  Over the years, the money I've saved on my expensive water has easily paid for the RainMachine and WeatherFlow.

Archived