In the Dark...Sometimes

So I inherited a home, already set up with a ISY994i and a SmartHome Powerlinc Serial ( ethernet) that does some basic light functions.

I update the 994i to the latest RC1 and it appears that everything updated successfully. 

I cannot speak to the age of the two devices and I know very little about programming or operation.

My issue is this:

It appears that sometimes the system works and sometimes it does not. I did notice that the Powerlinc was plugged into a strip and I just moved it into a direct outlet. I assume that will help. 

As of now, if I log in to the portal and try to turn on a light, it will not come on. Is the Powerlinc faulty? Woudl that be the first thing to try and swap out?

Any help appreciated!

A clue to the model modules is in the Administrative Console. Each module will be listed with its part number, six digit Insteon ID and firmware version.

Yes moving the PLM off of the plug strip may help. Especially if it has a noise/surge  filter in it that would be absorbing some of the Insteon power line commands.

You may have some electrical noise makers or signal suckers in you home. That would effect Insteon power line commands. Dual Band versions also use RF so they have a better chance of communicating.

If you have Dual Band type modules. You can use their built in communications tests. To see if they can communicate and if on the same or opposite phase of the homes electrical system.

You can find all kinds of great information in the UDI Wiki. Like full users manuals, how to do tutorials,  ISY Cookbook.

https://wiki.universal-devices.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

59 minutes ago, MacWorks said:

So I inherited a home, already set up with a ISY994i and a SmartHome Powerlinc Serial ( ethernet) that does some basic light functions.

I update the 994i to the latest RC1 and it appears that everything updated successfully. 

I cannot speak to the age of the two devices and I know very little about programming or operation.

My issue is this:

It appears that sometimes the system works and sometimes it does not. I did notice that the Powerlinc was plugged into a strip and I just moved it into a direct outlet. I assume that will help. 

As of now, if I log in to the portal and try to turn on a light, it will not come on. Is the Powerlinc faulty? Woudl that be the first thing to try and swap out?

Any help appreciated!

When time permits remove the 2413S PLM from the wall and relay what the information is indicated on the stickers. I ask because the 2413S PLM historically has a very short lifespan and needs to be replaced / repaired. Also note, you never want to unplug the 2413S PLM while the ISY Series Controller is operating as this too will cause odd behavior or disconnect the two from one another.

If in doubt unplug both of the units and wait at least 10 seconds -> Insert the 2413S PLM to a unfiltered power outlet -> Power up the ISY Series Controller. Once the controller is fully operational you can select HELP -> About -> and check to see if the 2413S PLM is connected as it will display the MAC address and firmware version.

Please relay what that says too . . .

Welcome, and congratulations on the new home . . . 

I emphasize the point that it would be best to start with the ISY admin console, rather than the portal.  Since you updated the software, I assume you know how to get to the admin  console.  Try controlling devices from there.  Do they respond?  I believe most of your troubleshooting would be done from here.

Given the PLM is from 22 week 2016 I would repair or purchase another unit. I'm not in front of the Admin Console so apologies for sending you down the wrong rabbit hole about the PLM connection status.

Somewhere in that HELP is a another link which tells you if the PLM is connected and will also call out the firmware level. Regardless, please delete the link for the ABOUT for your system as that is private information no one needs to know.

4 minutes ago, MacWorks said:

Terrific. I have ordered a replacement PLM from Amazon for $79. I assume that is a good value vs repair?

Time is money and if your time is more valuable  ~ than it's worth the money! Should you find more time available you may wish to consider repairing the old unit and have a backup for later use.

There is a massive repair thread about *How To* and what to be aware of should you intend to walk that path.

The V2.5 2413S PLM is the latest hardware revision we have seen. It has a new serial port daughter board in it. With a RS232 chip with better ESD ratings and surge suppressors on the two serial signal pins. Also has  better power supply capacitors rated for switching power supplies.

17 minutes ago, Brian H said:

The V2.5 2413S PLM is the latest hardware revision we have seen. It has a new serial port daughter board in it. With a RS232 chip with better ESD ratings and surge suppressors on the two serial signal pins. Also has  better power supply capacitors rated for switching power supplies.

I think it’s safe to say lots of us are looking forward to the 4000 link super duper PLM Pro! ???

Well the 2234-222 USB and 2234-223 Serial Port ' Smartlabs Advanced IoT Bridge Interface' was added to the FCC Database on 10/29/2019.

So the process seems to be in the works.

Though how long it takes to get them produced and then added to the sales pages. Who knows?

1 hour ago, Brian H said:

Well the 2234-222 USB and 2234-223 Serial Port ' Smartlabs Advanced IoT Bridge Interface' was added to the FCC Database on 10/29/2019.

So the process seems to be in the works.

Though how long it takes to get them produced and then added to the sales pages. Who knows?

At this point I'm not going to cry over spilled milk. 

The PLM Pro *Wish List* was created several years ago and someone saw value and took the time to consider doing this. The very fact this is a multi-voltage unit will finally open the gates to our brothers across the pond. This will directly increase the sales and presence of the Universal Devices ISY Series Controller / Polyisy on a global level.

This is a win win situation for the general public, Insteon, and UDI!  

6 minutes ago, Teken said:

At this point I'm not going to cry over spilled milk. 

The PLM Pro *Wish List* was created several years ago and someone saw value and took the time to consider doing this. The very fact this is a multi-voltage unit will finally open the gates to our brothers across the pond. This will directly increase the sales and presence of the Universal Devices ISY Series Controller / Polyisy on a global level.

This is a win win situation for the general public, Insteon, and UDI!  

Just because it was registered into the FCC DB does NOT mean it *is* or will become an actual real product.  Insteon/SmartHome are not sharing any information or giving any insights at all.  Not even to us so called "partners" even under NDA.  So I'm not holding my breath.

2 minutes ago, simplextech said:

Just because it was registered into the FCC DB does NOT mean it *is* or will become an actual real product.  Insteon/SmartHome are not sharing any information or giving any insights at all.  Not even to us so called "partners" even under NDA.  So I'm not holding my breath.

If history is any indicator I have never seen a FCC submission from Smartlabs that didn't come to market. Every listed device in the data base has been released and made public ready. Now, if you were to say when will this appear who knows.

Given the historic time line from certification, and ramping up production I would hazard to guess 6~8 months from that time.

1 minute ago, Teken said:

If history is any indicator I have never seen a FCC submission from Smartlabs that didn't come to market. Every listed device in the data base has been released and made public ready. Now, if you were to say when will this appear who knows.

Given the historic time line from certification, and ramping up production I would hazard to guess 6~8 months from that time.

Well it's a wait and see....

3 hours ago, Teken said:

I agree. While insteon has always been tight lipped when it comes to product launches, anything that makes it to the FCC had always been released

Those who do know stuff probably wouldn't say anything unless their source told them it was ok. 

1 hour ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I agree. While insteon has always been tight lipped when it comes to product launches, anything that makes it to the FCC had always been released

Those who do know stuff probably wouldn't say anything unless their source told them it was ok. 

Not to take the OP's thread completely side ways ~ but!

I sure hope the company is working toward releasing a dual band I/O Linc. I would even say losing the pass through outlet just to see that come to market would be OK. Now, if they would only come out with a multi-strip power bar that would sell like hot cakes!

23 minutes ago, Teken said:

Not to take the OP's thread completely side ways ~ but!

I sure hope the company is working toward releasing a dual band I/O Linc. I would even say losing the pass through outlet just to see that come to market would be OK. Now, if they would only come out with a multi-strip power bar that would sell like hot cakes!

With six different Insteon addressed receptacles and two switched USB ports?

5 minutes ago, larryllix said:

With six different Insteon addressed receptacles and two switched USB ports?

Yeah I have several z-wave power strips that hardly get used for anything.... they sound good but I've not found practical use for them yet for anything other than repeaters.

35 minutes ago, simplextech said:

Yeah I have several z-wave power strips that hardly get used for anything.... they sound good but I've not found practical use for them yet for anything other than repeaters.

I just received a few WiFi controlled dual outlet plugs for my Birthday. One is going to supply my ISY and PolISY. 

Need HA protocols for WiFi based rebooting, and WiFi based protocols for HA protocol rebooting.

Even though Ethernet based HA is not best IMHO, I was locked out of my ISY for one week away in January, and had no way to get access. This could have cleared the problem for this one. What would be nice would be a "ahead of router", Ethernet controlled, receptacle that could do an automatic power cycle.

Yuk! More equipment to service the other equipment, that services the other equipment, that servi…..

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/10/2020 at 6:58 PM, Teken said:

I think it’s safe to say lots of us are looking forward to the 4000 link super duper PLM Pro! ???

According to the tech support group at Smarthome.com, they will not be releasing the PLM Pro. He said he was "aware of this," which I took to mean he has actual information instead of just providing an easy answer.

48 minutes ago, Goose66 said:

According to the tech support group at Smarthome.com, they will not be releasing the PLM Pro. He said he was "aware of this," which I took to mean he has actual information instead of just providing an easy answer.

@Goose66

Can you offer a little more context and insight as to this conversation? The reference I called out which you quoted as it pertains to the PLM Pro or what ever they wish to call it is already in the FCC database.

This device is currently being tested for compliance and conformity.

It would be really sad to learn this new device which appears on the surface to be in the first stages of certification won't be released! All I can say with a level of confidence is there has never been a piece of hardware that made it to the public facing FCC data base from Smartlabs - didn't come out.

20 minutes ago, Teken said:

@Goose66

Can you offer a little more context and insight as to this conversation?

I called Smarthome to ask about the timeline for the new version of an Insteon PLM - I think I said something like "the one with the higher link limit." I was transferred to Smarthome technical support and the support representative said "I am aware of this" and "they have decided not to manufacture and release that version." I did not specify the SKU/model number in the FCC database. But I am aware that they may not want to foretell the coming of the new version because it would kill sales of the existing version. That said, the existing PLM is not on sale (which one would expect if a newer version is in the pipeline).

2 minutes ago, Goose66 said:

I called Smarthome to ask about the timeline for the new version of an Insteon PLM - I think I said something like "the one with the higher link limit." I was transferred to Smarthome technical support and the support representative said "I am aware of this" and "they have decided not to manufacture and release that version." I did not specify the SKU/model number in the FCC database. But I am aware that they may not want to foretell the coming of the new version because it would kill sales of the existing version. That said, the existing PLM is not on sale (which one would expect if a newer version is in the pipeline).

Appreciate the insight and clarification. 

Archived