Weather Flow Poly - Set Up Help

Teken

Hello,

I am struggling to get a single poly installed into a test system. The controller is using the latest 5.0.16C firmware and Java cache cleared and UI / Firmware match. In the Polyisy I have selected the Weather Flow Poly for the local hub. The system indicates the application has been installed on the Polyisy. Normally in the AC you would see the node server in the list along with it indicated under the configure tab.

None of the two are present and have tried all manner of reboots in different orders of the ISY Series Controller / Polyisy. The respective Weather Flow node server has been endlessly uninstalled and reinstalled along with rebooting the Polyisy / Restarting the Polyglot.

I have viewed the logs in the Polyisy and it doesn't offer any insight simply indicating my actions of install / uninstall. Any insight or guidance as to next steps is greatly appreciated and will also clear the ISY Logs / Error Logs and perform the same tasks again for a clean reading.

Will post them once I have a little more time as it's Valentines! 

1 hour ago, DennisC said:

Do you have a Weatherflow Air or Sky device? Did you set it up on the configuration page for the node in Polisy?

Hi Dennis,

None of the new node servers appear in the dashboard within Polisy. Thus, nothing to configure along with the AC shows nothing added. Repeated staged reboots, shut down, reload, of the Polyisy and ISY Series Controller yields nothing.

Both units show they are connected to one another but can't honestly say I believe the status.

Alright there appears to be some kind of communication issue or how the Poly Cloud vs Polyisy operate. As of this writing its literally impossible to get any local node servers to be reflected in the dashboard. Nor is there any signs of the various *Local* node servers showing up in the Admin Console (AC) from the ISY Series Controller.

No matter what device is rebooted, install, uninstall, nothing ever shows up.

After screwing around for what seemed like eternity I decided to focus my efforts on the Poly Cloud versions of node servers. Installing any of the weather related node servers immediately showed up in the Poly Cloud Dashboard. The very same was immediately reflected in the AC and the customary reboot of the controller was done. After entering all of the relevant API and region information these weather nodes showed up!

So, as of this writing there is some kind of bug that is preventing me from adding anything related to local Polyisy node servers.

My next focus was to see what kind of data could be obtained from DarkSky, WeatherBit, and WeatherFlow. I have observed the following issues with these weather modules listed below:

Weather Flow: Node Server Online - Never indicates True yet the hub seconds increments? Humidity - Nothing, Illumination - Nothing, Precip - I don't know its winter?

DarkSky: Node Server Online - True, No data displayed in current or forecast, starting / stopping the service has no impact, selecting re-discover / update profile results in nothing.

WeatherBit: Node Server Online - True, Data is present in all of the fields but the bottom portion is cut off, Forecast - Nothing in any of the days and changing it to 0-7 sometimes makes things show up in various sections or just stops?!?

WeatherBit Cut Off.PNG

9 hours ago, Teken said:

Hi Dennis,

None of the new node servers appear in the dashboard within Polisy. Thus, nothing to configure along with the AC shows nothing added. Repeated staged reboots, shut down, reload, of the Polyisy and ISY Series Controller yields nothing.

Both units show they are connected to one another but can't honestly say I believe the status.

Hi Teken,

The configuration is done in Polisy for the Node Servers, not in the AC of ISY.

I would suggest you open a help ticket with UD. They will connect and get everything corrected.

Hi Teken,
The configuration is done in Polisy for the Node Servers, not in the AC of ISY.
I would suggest you open a help ticket with UD. They will connect and get everything corrected.

Yes, configuration is expected and should happen in the Polyisy Dashboard. Since nothing ever shows up after rebooting / restarting the Polyisy.

There is literally nothing to configure.

Assuming something appeared the next step would be to go to the AC and make whatever changes within the AC.

But nothing ever shows up - ever.

I’ll submit a service request in a few days as I know the team is always busy in support calls. I was just hoping the forum would be able to offer that nugget of knowledge to fix this issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Teken said:

Yes, configuration is expected and should happen in the Polyisy Dashboard. Since nothing ever shows up after rebooting / restarting the Polyisy.

There is literally nothing to configure. emoji53.pngemoji35.png

Assuming something appeared the next step would be to go to the AC and make whatever changes within the AC.

But nothing ever shows up - ever. emoji3525.png

I’ll submit a service request in a few days as I know the team is always busy in support calls. I was just hoping the forum would be able to offer that nugget of knowledge to fix this issue! emoji106.pngemoji869.png

@Teken, one difference between cloud version and Polisy is the extra step in installing: "Add Nodeserver" under NodeServers:

image.png.d5b882acd6f45ba78ca022ac227c027d.png

In cloud version the slot is set automatically (if I recall correctly).

In Polisy (and Polyglot on Raspberry Pi), you have to tell it to install it in a slot on this ISY.

image.thumb.png.a7abb6cdb037993b392b21e8a9fa0e51.png

It's supposed to let you choose which one but my experience it sometimes puts in the next slot no matter what you choose.

After that the NodeServer should show up on your Dashboard just like in the cloud version.

1 minute ago, DaveStLou said:

@Teken, one difference between cloud version and Polisy is the extra step in installing: "Add Nodeserver" under NodeServers:

image.png.d5b882acd6f45ba78ca022ac227c027d.png

In cloud version the slot is set automatically (if I recall correctly).

In Polisy (and Polyglot on Raspberry Pi), you have to tell it to install it in a slot on this ISY.

image.thumb.png.a7abb6cdb037993b392b21e8a9fa0e51.png

It's supposed to let you choose which one but my experience it sometimes puts in the next slot no matter what you choose.

After that the NodeServer should show up on your Dashboard just like in the cloud version.

@DaveStLou

Yes, you're correct I meant to close out this thread with a - success! Appreciate you following up with this as it was not obvious to me until Simplextech relayed an image capture. Those who have coined the phrase a picture speaks a thousand words.

Yes - It does!

Thank You - Sir!

11 hours ago, Teken said:

My next focus was to see what kind of data could be obtained from DarkSky, WeatherBit, and WeatherFlow. I have observed the following issues with these weather modules listed below:

Weather Flow: Node Server Online - Never indicates True yet the hub seconds increments? Humidity - Nothing, Illumination - Nothing, Precip - I don't know its winter?

DarkSky: Node Server Online - True, No data displayed in current or forecast, starting / stopping the service has no impact, selecting re-discover / update profile results in nothing.

WeatherBit: Node Server Online - True, Data is present in all of the fields but the bottom portion is cut off, Forecast - Nothing in any of the days and changing it to 0-7 sometimes makes things show up in various sections or just stops?!?

WeatherFlow:   I don't know why it's not showing on-line, I'll continue to investigate.  The data displayed is what it's getting from the WeatherFlow server. Missing data means that the server doesn't seem to have that data.  For my station, the light data (UV, solar radiation, etc.) are missing on the server because it looks like the light sensor has failed.

DarkSky: was it configured?  It sounds like it wasn't and since there was the bug that was preventing it from showing the Custom Parameters that needed to be configured, that would make sense.  If it was configured, then I'll need info from the log to figure out why you're not seeing any data.

WeatherBit: The node server has no control over the size of the fields on the admin console, make the admin console window bigger to see all the fields.  The forecast interval is defined by the long poll value (by default, 10 minutes). Did you wait to see if the forecast data populated?  If it has all the configuration information when it starts, it will do an initial query, but if not, it will take 10 minutes after setting the configuration.

3 hours ago, Teken said:

There is literally nothing to configure. emoji53.pngemoji35.png

But nothing ever shows up - ever. emoji3525.png

I’ll submit a service request in a few days as I know the team is always busy in support calls. I was just hoping the forum would be able to offer that nugget of knowledge to fix this issue! emoji106.pngemoji869.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Teken,

Am I understanding correctly that when you add the Node Server, it doesn't appear in the dashboard of Polisy?

Do you receive the message that says the install was complete?

Did you go to the NodeServer tab in Polisy and click on "Add Nodeserver"?

2 hours ago, DennisC said:

Hi Teken,

Am I understanding correctly that when you add the Node Server, it doesn't appear in the dashboard of Polisy?

Do you receive the message that says the install was complete?

Did you go to the NodeServer tab in Polisy and click on "Add Nodeserver"?

Hi Dennis,

Apologies I thought I closed off this problem but obviously didn't! For the benefit of others who may stumble upon this thread would like to be clear as to the issue(s). There are three possible ways to configure a Node Server and they are these: Poly Cloud, Polyisy, RPi

Poly Cloud: Requires a subscription for your 994 Series Controller through UDI's cloud infrastructure. This allows a person to simply add whatever Node Server that is available that meets their use case. In my case this service allowed me to add, see, and configure the various Node Servers within Poly Cloud and immediately see those nodes / services within the 994 Series Controller. Whether or not they operated as expected is completely a different issue but simply wanted to call out what I observed.

I did not have to select any Add Node Server at any point in time and the new Node Server simply populated in the 994 Series Controller 90% of the time.

Polyisy: This is the next generation of the controller which in the future will replace the 994 Series Controller. This hardware currently allows a Point & Shoot / Plug & Play interface which allows a person to select many more Polyglot applications to integrate with the 994 Series Controller. The problem I had was completely my own ignorance in not understanding that there are two different experiences and a additional step when setting up the Node Servers.

In this case a person who had previous experience with the Poly Cloud would have expected the Node Server once installed to appear within the Polyisy Dashboard like it does in the Poly Cloud - It doesn't! It's not the end of the world unless you have no understanding that you need to first go to: Node Server Store -> Select the node of interest and follow the requirements outlined such as subscribing to X service for say a API key -> Once that information has been understood and obtained simply select install and the system will confirm this option has been installed in the Polyisy -> This is where I failed to understand why nothing appeared in the Polyisy Dashboard which is to select Add Node Server once the install was completed.

So the process is: Node Server Store -> Install X Node Server -> Add Node Server -> Dashboard -> Details of X Node Server -> Configuration -> Enter Required Parameters in this case none of the Node Servers ever displayed any fields to populate -> Start - Stop - Restart in my experience forced the system to populate the required fields. Login to the Admin Console of the 994 Series Controller and reboot the controller which in my experience will insure a clean install and allow the appropriate Node Server and their respective nodes to appear in the device tree.

From there, as some of the great developers like @bpwwer @simplextech noted various services may require a period of time for the data to be received and displayed. That is again another fault entirely of my own. Given we all live in the instant gratification era I'm just used to seeing and being able to X vs Y immediately opposed to having to - Wait! 

Regardless the primary issue of not being able to add a node server and configure has been solved and found! Now, the next step is to work with the developers to understand the inability to see or work with X node server. 

Once again thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share their knowledge and guidance.

3 hours ago, bpwwer said:

WeatherFlow:   I don't know why it's not showing on-line, I'll continue to investigate.  The data displayed is what it's getting from the WeatherFlow server. Missing data means that the server doesn't seem to have that data.  For my station, the light data (UV, solar radiation, etc.) are missing on the server because it looks like the light sensor has failed. <- It's possible this data was not available because indeed one of my Sky is quite dead! The SOL failed and this is the primary driver for me to be able to input multiple station ID's to compensate for a station which is 100% operational vs one that's constantly being Alpha / Beta tested.

DarkSky: was it configured?  It sounds like it wasn't and since there was the bug that was preventing it from showing the Custom Parameters that needed to be configured, that would make sense.  If it was configured, then I'll need info from the log to figure out why you're not seeing any data. <- I believe one of the issues was not entering the lat / long in the correct stated schema.

WeatherBit: The node server has no control over the size of the fields on the admin console, make the admin console window bigger to see all the fields.  The forecast interval is defined by the long poll value (by default, 10 minutes). Did you wait to see if the forecast data populated?  If it has all the configuration information when it starts, it will do an initial query, but if not, it will take 10 minutes after setting the configuration. <-- Didn't know about the possible 10 minutes

@bpwwer

Answers in line above for the questions posed . . .

Given I was able to install and configure all three of these Node Servers as local service vs the Poly Cloud. I'll focus my efforts and yours on that track instead as this is the direction & solution I wish to use in my environment. In no way does this mean the Poly Cloud version of your super applications be halted or abandoned for development! There are endless reasons from a consumer stand point where someone will need to use the Poly Cloud version opposed to the local version which operates on a RPI / Polyisy. 

My experience is the perfect example of having the opportunity to install the cloud version at least to see how things worked or was represented in the AC. In the worst case scenario I would have at least something to use while I and others figured out why the local version on the RPI / Polyisy didn't work.

In this case *User Error / RTFM*     

27 minutes ago, Teken said:

@bpwwer

Answers in line above for the questions posed . . .

Given I was able to install and configure all three of these Node Servers as local service vs the Poly Cloud. I'll focus my efforts and yours on that track instead as this is the direction & solution I wish to use in my environment. In no way does this mean the Poly Cloud version of your super applications be halted or abandoned for development! There are endless reasons from a consumer stand point where someone will need to use the Poly Cloud version opposed to the local version which operates on a RPI / Polyisy. 

My experience is the perfect example of having the opportunity to install the cloud version at least to see how things worked or was represented in the AC. In the worst case scenario I would have at least something to use while I and others figured out why the local version on the RPI / Polyisy didn't work.

In this case *User Error / RTFM*     

Most (maybe all) of your issues would have been solved by good documentation and a lot of that is my fault, but I'll also lay some blame on the Polyglot framework itself.  I try to make sure there is at a minimum, a description of the parameters in the README but the only way to get to that is to click on the node server name in the store, which takes you to the source code repository for the node server, then you have to scroll down to get to the README that has the info.  Not a very good user experience.   Ideally, the node server store would have "details" link of some sort that takes you to a web page dedicated to that node server with installation instructions, screen shots, etc.  I believe we'll get there eventually.

All of my node servers that are available on both the cloud and local are one code base. There isn't a separate version that runs locally vs. the cloud.  Because I really don't want to maintain two different version is why I've encountered issues when the two platforms behave differently. But that also means both get pretty much equal attention.

I appreciate your effort to document your experience and report the issues. That's already resulted in a couple of changes that make it better for everyone else so thanks!

One other thing about documentation -

When you install a NodeServer from the store, if you dont scroll all the way up to the top of the screen right away, you do not see the message about the NodeServer being installed AND that you have to go and install it. In addition that message only stays on the screen a few seconds. 

Maybe it should be a persistent message that you need to acknowledge before being allowed to continue.

16 hours ago, DennisC said:

One other thing about documentation -

When you install a NodeServer from the store, if you dont scroll all the way up to the top of the screen right away, you do not see the message about the NodeServer being installed AND that you have to go and install it. In addition that message only stays on the screen a few seconds. 

Maybe it should be a persistent message that you need to acknowledge before being allowed to continue.

Actually, Polyglot should be updated so that both cloud and local behave the same way. In fact, I just added an issue to the polyglot issue tracking for this.

Hi Bob,

I think one of the problems seen by me was doubting the reference examples were correct. I honestly didn't think in the case of OpenWeatherMap / WeatherBit the lat and lon was supposed to be  lat=00.000000&lon=-00.00000 <- With the and so close together and thought it was a typo and left a space!

Examples:

Dark Sky: 00.000000, -00.000000

Open Weather Map: lat=00.000000&lon=-00.00000

Weather Bit: lat=00.000000&lon=-00.00000

Another example is where a developer doesn't even offer an example and assumes the person is going to know the format?!? Even after following what others have indicated as the correct written schema the Node Server still doesn't work?!? In that case it was relayed that the latitude / longitude should be entered into the custom parameter field individually. 

A simple example like what you have provided in your Node Server would have been tremendously helpful. I guess this highlights why a picture can offer so much vs a written text as a person like myself either takes what is written literally vs abstract thinking there was a typo. Now, time to move on and figure out how to get this Sun Node Server working.

43 minutes ago, FarmerGeek said:

I don't know enough about Poly Cloud / Polyisy to know where to start. Are they two different things?  All I need to do is get the temperature.

The Poly Cloud requires a subscription to the ISY Portal. The Polyisy is a piece of hardware that runs locally in your home and allows you to install various software applications called Node Servers. 

You can decide to pay one time for the Polyisy hardware and install the various applications of your choice. Or purchase a two year subscription to the Poly Cloud which does offer one other benefit.

No hardware to support or consumed energy  . . .

2 hours ago, FarmerGeek said:

Where can I buy one? how much do they cost?

In Canada a RPi 3 will cost you about $120 while the latest and greatest RPi 4 will cost you just under $200 for working models.

https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi/pi-3-model-b-plus-kits

Shipping will be cheaper in USA. There are other suppliers, more from the horse's mouth in UK and a bit cheaper, made in China for clones.

7 hours ago, FarmerGeek said:

Where can I buy one? how much do they cost?

Or just go to Amazon.

Be careful re: the latest version (4), though, as it requires usb-C. If you want to use things like power supplies you may already have, a v3 works just fine for almost anything you need to do with an ISY (uses micro USB). Personally, I have had great success with canakit stuff, fwiw.

Archived