Community Gate Electronics

palayman

Hi,

I'm involved in helping our small (9 homes) gated community replace our gates and gate electronics.

Anyone have any experience in this area?  I am hoping we can find something that incorporates a Web App with a Video feed and can put time of day/week limits on access codes.

Any suggestions or pointers are appreciated.

Paul

5 hours ago, palayman said:

Hi,

I'm involved in helping our small (9 homes) gated community replace our gates and gate electronics.

Anyone have any experience in this area?  I am hoping we can find something that incorporates a Web App with a Video feed and can put time of day/week limits on access codes.

Paul

Hi Paul,

is it safe to day this system will be managed by someone?

52 minutes ago, palayman said:

Yes

Hi Paul,

What is the current system in place? How do the people currently access and leave the property? Does the gate on either side simply use a PIN pad, key card, RFID, other? Does the system uses any kind of ground presence detection to insure and (limit) gate access? These types of systems are normally seen in high security and high value installation sites. The ground sensor must first physically detect the presence of the vehicle this trips a relay which allows the keypad to accept user input.

You normally can identify this by a cut out in the concrete / pavement.

Most common is the standard remote control which allows users to simply press a button in the visor to open the gate. Which leads to are you intending to replace the entire gate, motor assembly, etc? Is this gate a swinging gate / roller?

Does your site require VOX / intercom? 

Larger *gated community* may each have a door bell style button all home run which allows each client to speak to a visitor / service personal. Which allows them to *Buzz* a person in and the gate opens up. All of these questions dictate what is and will be involved in your next hardware deployment because whomever is tasked to refresh / replace said infrastructure must weigh out the complexity of such.

As noted up above the easiest approach is the GDO (garage door opener) concept where everyone has remote. This in a round about way assuming the system is powerful / sensitive enough to receive the RF signal to enable remote opening from their home(s). With respect to video access this again really comes down to how you plan to implement said system and lets assume nothing exists.

Well, the world is your oyster and you get to decide with in reason what to buy and spend. But, this opens up Pandora's box of what you need vs what you want. I can tell you with a high confidence level if you cheap out and purchase a eBay / Best Buy special and go WiFi.

Your phone will never stop ringing as when people expect to see, talk, etc via video - it just never ends! Again, if there isn't any existing infrastructure such as electrical, conduit, wiring from coaxial, fiber, CAT6~7 direct burial cable. Just trenching is going to cost you a XXX so complete an audit and see what exists.

If all you're doing is upgrading the *System* with the same bones - done! If you plan to add just a wired camera well you need power, signal, and a head end where that data needs to be stored and managed. Which leads to how do you expect to access the video feed? if everyone wants to access just a web page from anywhere then you better get your network hat and sit down as to how you will manage access, data retention, and storage. If you even remotely want to consider 4K video storage no matter the compression will need space! 

Just some items for you to chew on and consider . . .   

22 hours ago, Teken said:

Hi Paul,

What is the current system in place? How do the people currently access and leave the property? Does the gate on either side simply use a PIN pad, key card, RFID, other? Does the system uses any kind of ground presence detection to insure and (limit) gate access? These types of systems are normally seen in high security and high value installation sites. The ground sensor must first physically detect the presence of the vehicle this trips a relay which allows the keypad to accept user input.

You normally can identify this by a cut out in the concrete / pavement.

Most common is the standard remote control which allows users to simply press a button in the visor to open the gate. Which leads to are you intending to replace the entire gate, motor assembly, etc? Is this gate a swinging gate / roller?

Does your site require VOX / intercom? 

Larger *gated community* may each have a door bell style button all home run which allows each client to speak to a visitor / service personal. Which allows them to *Buzz* a person in and the gate opens up. All of these questions dictate what is and will be involved in your next hardware deployment because whomever is tasked to refresh / replace said infrastructure must weigh out the complexity of such.

As noted up above the easiest approach is the GDO (garage door opener) concept where everyone has remote. This in a round about way assuming the system is powerful / sensitive enough to receive the RF signal to enable remote opening from their home(s). With respect to video access this again really comes down to how you plan to implement said system and lets assume nothing exists.

Well, the world is your oyster and you get to decide with in reason what to buy and spend. But, this opens up Pandora's box of what you need vs what you want. I can tell you with a high confidence level if you cheap out and purchase a eBay / Best Buy special and go WiFi.

Your phone will never stop ringing as when people expect to see, talk, etc via video - it just never ends! Again, if there isn't any existing infrastructure such as electrical, conduit, wiring from coaxial, fiber, CAT6~7 direct burial cable. Just trenching is going to cost you a XXX so complete an audit and see what exists.

If all you're doing is upgrading the *System* with the same bones - done! If you plan to add just a wired camera well you need power, signal, and a head end where that data needs to be stored and managed. Which leads to how do you expect to access the video feed? if everyone wants to access just a web page from anywhere then you better get your network hat and sit down as to how you will manage access, data retention, and storage. If you even remotely want to consider 4K video storage no matter the compression will need space! 

Just some items for you to chew on and consider . . .   

Don't mind answering these questions but really looking for some pointers on the electronics/ gate control system.  BTW I am an EE so I do not a bit about infrastructure issues.  Just looking for a reliable, affordable system.

The entire system and the gates are broken and we are planning a complete replacement.

Currently a single gate for entry and a single gate for exit.  Some garage door style openers for residents and a key pad with a phone dialer.

Gates are broken along with actuators. Pavement presence sensors are broken and the electronics have been stuck by lightning.

In addition the gates are being relocated about 100 ft so everything is being replaced.

We want to replace with double gates on exit and entry to reduce stress on hinges and actuators.

Need some kind of actuator for residents. Will not be installing an intercom to homes.  Need some kind of phone app.

Don't mind answering these questions but really looking for some pointers on the electronics/ gate control system.  BTW I am an EE so I do not a bit about infrastructure issues.  Just looking for a reliable, affordable system.
The entire system and the gates are broken and we are planning a complete replacement.
Currently a single gate for entry and a single gate for exit.  Some garage door style openers for residents and a key pad with a phone dialer.
Gates are broken along with actuators. Pavement presence sensors are broken and the electronics have been stuck by lightning.
In addition the gates are being relocated about 100 ft so everything is being replaced.
We want to replace with double gates on exit and entry to reduce stress on hinges and actuators.
Need some kind of actuator for residents. Will not be installing an intercom to homes.  Need some kind of phone app.

Wouldn't the best brand be one that is supported by a fast responding and local installer with available parts?

Sent using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, palayman said:

Great, can  you provide contact info for them.

I would think a local locksmith would be able to provide a reference.

When you have the gate drag down the side of the latest model vehicle you want some reputable company behind you in court. We helped a serviceman buff out a scratch out of the side of his truck before his boss got there once. He said he would lose his job. It can get serious and legal quickly.

You may do better with some of the security guys that frequent cocoontech.com forums.

@palayman - check into these - https://www.mightymule.com/automatic-gate-openers/

We use this on a gate access for our office parking lot. Our system is simple and not internet based. It has a keypad that is RF to the opener so multiple codes can be put in. They have remotes available for the system. It isn't the most secure, but it gets you started on a brand.  They used to be part of GTO (http://gtoaccess.net/gto-gate-opener-manuals.htm), but the site looks different know. I will say we have had the gate installed about 15 years and only had limited problems (2 arm motor replacements). It's used multiple times a day.

Might not work for your system, but it's something. I do not know if it has what you're looking for in the way of logs as we do not need that and have not considered it as an option. 

If you're looking for more sophisticated and with cell service perhaps this is something to check out:  https://www.doorking.com/consumers/gated-communities  

Lots of options in this area. Good luck finding something that works for you.

Hi, I'm involved in helping our small (9 homes) gated community replace our gates and gate electronics. Anyone have any experience in this area?  I am hoping we can find something that incorporates a Web App with a Video feed and can put time of day/week limits on access codes.

Paul

I installed 2 sliding gates at my house and researched it a lot.  And I have lots of thoughts on it.  There's not an off-the-shelf solution so you'll need someone to pull it all together.  If I were in your shoes I wouldn't want it to be me for many reasons... Okay, so I went with Linear operators on my sliding cantilevered (no wheels on the bottom) gates.  This brand was recommended by a pro here in MN.  I read not great things about Mighty Mule but who knows. I agree that the best option is that supplied by a local pro who can maintain it when you're away.  Internet service doesn't help when you're away and something physically breaks.  Minimum downside for you is = You're on vacation and gates break and someone can't get to work, etc.  Maximum downside is someone gets seriously hurt or killed.  

Someone mentioned a locksmith - I'd suggest instead talking to fence companies.  Who will manufacture your gates?  Are they solid (consider wind shear and other forces) or "see through"

First thing I considered here was safety.   And I'm only thinking of my family and how we use it - not 8 or 9 others...

So I'd suggest that you become more of mental rather than physical point of contact on this.  Get smart and ask a pro the right questions.  

Here are some things to think about.  And it's not everything...

* UL standards  - lots here, including photoeye placement (and hardware specs), pinchpoint sensors, even down to warning sign placement.  

* opening and closing force adjustment - you want to use the minimum force required, but note that if you have wind shear or even friction over time this will need to be adjusted.

* garage openers are good.  The range on the built-in radios in most openers is not good.  Consider something with 4 buttons like this:

https://apollogateopeners.com/store/nice-apollo-era-one-4-channel-transmitter-with-visor-clip.html

and a receiver like this that connect to the open input and close input of each gate:

https://apollogateopeners.com/store/universal-receiver-digital-2-channel-wireless-433-92-mhz.html

you'lll get extra range and you can have a unique button for open1, close1, open2, close2 if that helps for each gate.  

* grounding - not necessarily trivial.  You are in Florida and the previous system got zapped?  Will the system be connected throughout areas with multiple ground potentials?  

*conduit - I'd spec (to the contractor pro) run 3 to each opener and "required+1" to elsewhere as needed.  With 3 at the operator you have 1 for line voltage, 1 for low voltage, and another for when you want to add more low voltage control without disrupting the existing.  

fire department and first responders - how do they get in?  This gets back to code compliance, UL, etc. and things I wouldn't want to be responsible for.  The FD will likely have a short list of keys and boxes they can work with.  Talk to them.  

Here's where I bought mine.  https://lineargateopeners.com/store/

But again, for your liability etc. I'd have everyone pony up for a pro. 

So that's my initial thoughts -  happy to answer anything else to help you ask the right questions of your local pro.

We had a FAAC-based dual swing gate system professionally installed for our home. Public safety access is with a yelp receiver--it listens for a siren yelp and opens the gates (with small sign next to gate). I have a bunch of 4-button self-programmed remotes for cars.

This is the control board my system uses: http://bernationalcontrols.com/support_docs/Gates/FAAC/E024U_02.pdf

I also ordered one of these, in hopes of integrating into ISY/Alexa: https://www.remootio.com/  Shipping was very quick. I've been waiting for warmer weather to tackle this, plus, since I'm not an EE, I'm scared I'll screw up something in the controller board.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Archived