Displaying individual variables "as devices" (sort of like virtual devices)

madcodger

16 minutes ago, markv58 said:

Virtual 1.2.0 (stable) - Temperature Nodes - Code cleaned, timestamp added to log when a variable is changed, there is no driver to add to the node display at present so that did not happen.

The values will only update now if a variable has changed since the last check and the counter will increase until that change happens. Data storage only happens when there is a change.

@markv58

I believe this is one of the major items and features that will make this virtual node server more reliable and less impact full on Polisy. I just noticed the Polisy indicated all of the installed node servers in my system as *Install* vs Uninstall. Upon further review the Virtual Node Server must have completely locked up the Polisy. As none of the values in the AC has updated vs reality. I've included a few image captures from my various systems as to the *Live* current values vs what the AC shows as the current value for the garage attic.

The 53.6'C displayed value in the AC was for yesterday and you can see the seconds counter stopped at 0.9 minutes and hasn't changed since. At a high level this is why I have asked you and any other vendor I work with to consider fail safes and tools that allow the end user to compensate for extremely high loads. Planning and coding for the worst case scenario just makes sense and ultimately reflects on the robustness, quality, and experience by all.

Again, I must thank you for taking all of my suggestions and others into consideration in making something great, to truly awesome!

One of the mantra's I have tried to live and instill in others is : Don't strive for perfection - strive for progress!

Thank You - Sir! ???   

Autelis 1 - Current Live Values..PNG

GEM 1 - Current Live Values.PNG

Virtual Node Server - Last Value Recorded.PNG

Bugs, I hate bugs! Found one. Didn't test for all possible combinations of RtoP, CtoF and FtoC. Testing for a bit then triggering the update, nothing big but important to keep the unnecessary polyglot activity curtailed.

Virtual 1.2.1, the bug is dead and I took the liberty of automatically resetting the statistics when the Raw to Prec, C to F or F to C settings are changed, you had to do that anyway so now you don't.

@markv58

v1.2.1 was loaded late in the day and as of this writing everything appears to be operating just fine. All of the values in both the AC and state table are reflective of what the sending hardware say they are. I have to affirm once again having you incorporate key user features like *Since Last Update* is not a nice to have but a must have when trouble shooting is needed.

A perfect example is where I monitor the different levels of the soil on my property to know when the frost line has been breached. Knowing this piece of information is critical to other auxiliary services and systems in my home to insure the health and safety. The AC displays a last update of 642.6 minutes, while the state table indicates the last update was on Sunday July 26, 2020 at  10:27:22 PM CST.

Error logs mirror all of the above as it stood out as I was reviewing the system for problems.

Backing up and viewing at a high level the Brultech Dash Box (DB) affirms the ground temperature has been rock steady and holding at 18.5'C. When there are areas, floors, zones, that don't see dramatic swings in temperature this can come off as there being a problem in a system. The DB affirms there isn't anything wrong because the core temperature of the ground is extremely stable and only changes based on long duration of extended temps.

What is there to say other than *IMPRESSIVE* . . .  ?

Feature Request: Low / High Value Insert

The only thing I could ask at this time is for some feedback and input as to how to best to address monitoring low temperatures. I have appended an image capture of the freezer and highlighted the *Highest* value box. Is there any way to update both the low / high fields so the average value isn't impacted and accurate?? I really prefer not changing the state variable to accomplish this as its less than elegant and screws around with every other values. Given its monitoring the freezer and the system defaults to zero the system will never show a correct (negative) high value which drives my OCD crazy. ?

221 State Variable - Soil - AC Display.PNG

221 State Variable - Soil - Log Value.PNG

221 State Variable - Soil - Table.PNG

Dash Box - Soil Readings.PNG

Freezer - High Value.PNG

2 hours ago, bambamf16 said:

Is this NS supposed to update the underlying variables value?  It isn't for my test switch I added but I might have done it correctly. Thanks all.

Jeff

The switch and generic nodes update the linked variable at present but that will be replaced with the same setup as the temperature nodes soon. 

6 minutes ago, markv58 said:

@Teken The high low values when reset are really -60 for the high and 129 for the low. I just made the panels say 0 so as not to flip out folks. 

@markv58

Will a Delete Node DB cause the system to revert back to -60 / 129 in the back ground even if it displays 0? If so, that will definitely solve this problem. Can you test that before I hit the big red button?!?

*Neo - Press the big red button* ?

1 hour ago, markv58 said:

The switch and generic nodes update the linked variable at present but that will be replaced with the same setup as the temperature nodes soon. 

Ok, so then I don't have something setup correctly.  My underlying variable isn't updating.  

2 minutes ago, bambamf16 said:

Ok, so then I don't have something setup correctly.  My underlying variable isn't updating.  

Can you offer us a image capture of the settings you choose in that node? Along with what the programs look like along with the State Variable table.

1 minute ago, bambamf16 said:

The number you assigned to the device, switch, is the ID number of the state variable that will be updated. 

I am nearly done with the next update that removes that link. 

The original purpose of having the node send data to a variable, especially the init, was to have a way to record the state of the switch incase of an Isy reboot or other event that wiped out the status. I now have the status saving to the nodes db and see no real need to have the variable linked any longer. 

What should we put as the variable number when we are not linking it to a variable?

Will there be a future possibility to name the node (rather than just a number?)

Thank you!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

58 minutes ago, MWareman said:

What should we put as the variable number when we are not linking it to a variable?

Will there be a future possibility to name the node (rather than just a number?)

Thank you!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I've thought about this quite a bit and think the best way is the Key being a unique number and of course the value being the node type. Going free form can cause a lot of problems down the road and then there is the node db cleanup. When a node is deleted, it's db remains and I need to add a routine that checks for orphaned files and deletes them, much easier to do with digits.

You can always rename the node in ISY and easily change the name should you want to repurpose the node or just don't like the name.

So, I would start at 1 and work my way up. The config page will sort in numerical order so you know what is available next.

Screen Shot 2020-07-27 at 6.50.38 PM.png

8 hours ago, Teken said:

Can you offer us a image capture of the settings you choose in that node? Along with what the programs look like along with the State Variable table.

I knew the error was in my setup.  In my tired state (nice excuse) while setting up I created the test variable as an integer variable, not a state.  So the issue was all me.  thanks Teken.

I knew the error was in my setup.  In my tired state (nice excuse) while setting up I created the test variable as an integer variable, not a state.  So the issue was all me.  thanks Teken.

We’ve all been there Rock On . . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just pulled an ISY Event log and noticed that Virtual temperaturec node values are all being logged and appended with "minutes."  Everything is working but reporting this in case it affects something that I don't see.

A. Nodes / Virtual / Virtual Device Controller / Outdoor Temp Custom Control 2 7.6 minutes Mon 2020/08/03 10:44:38 System Log
A. Nodes / Virtual / Virtual Device Controller / Freezer Temp Custom Control 2 59.5 minutes Mon 2020/08/03 10:44:38 System Log
A. Nodes / Virtual / Virtual Device Controller / Home Main Temp Custom Control 2 231.5 minutes Mon 2020/08/03 10:44:39 System Log

@markv58 Thanks for your reply!!! The numbers looked a little strange I thought maybe a combination of degrees C, Degrees F and Raw data. Ha. ? It really was minutes. It appears that the "lights were on but nobody was home" at my house today. ?

Thanks again for the very useful Node Server!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi @markv58, I was trying out the virtual switch tonight for the first time (BTW the temp is working great!).  I added it to a scene.  I could only add it as a responder not sure why.  It tracks the scene status unless I brighten from off using one of the physical switches.  See attached, I brighten from off using one of the switches but you can see it is still off.  Thanks for your insight.

Annotation 2020-08-25 213332.png

10 hours ago, tmorse305 said:

Hi @markv58, I was trying out the virtual switch tonight for the first time (BTW the temp is working great!).  I added it to a scene.  I could only add it as a responder not sure why.  It tracks the scene status unless I brighten from off using one of the physical switches.  See attached, I brighten from off using one of the switches but you can see it is still off.  Thanks for your insight.

The virtual device can't be a controller because it doesn't actually exist, you can set a program to make it control scenes. This is how I have one setup:

Shop Lights - [ID 019C][Parent 0185]

If
        'Devices / Virtual / Shop / Switches / Shop Lights' Switch Status is Off

Then
        Set 'Scenes / General / Shop' Off

Else
        Set 'Scenes / General / Shop' On

You would need to use a virtual generic node to have fade ability however there is no Brt or Dim capability right now. I have made some updates to Virtual but haven't completed all the work. I will add the Brt and Dim to the generic node which should solve the issue and push an update.

Hi @markv58,  I have one switch associated with ISY variable ID 47 that does not show up in the AC.  I've tried a reboot of the NS and restarts on the AC but no luck.  So I thought I would try to delete it then add it back.  When I press the delete key next to the switch 47 entry, it deletes but than about 3 seconds later it reappears.  Any suggestions?  Thanks for your help.

@tmorse305 From the Nodes page delete the device then delete the entry from the custom configuration page and immediately hit the Save Changes button. That should get rid of it.

I have done the coding for the Generic / Dimmer node and it works as it should, brighten and dim. I also have removed necessity to link to a specific variable, the current value of a switch or dimmer is saved like the temperature data is saved. I see no real need to have those devices linked to variables, should you want that link, a program can do that without limitations. What say you about that? I can add a Push to and Pull from option if you or anyone thinks that necessary.

Archived