Will a Z-wave device solve my Insteon Communication problem?

someguy

facts:

I have nothing z-wave on my system.

I have a very (electrically) noisy bathroom fan that is switched with a dual band insteon switch that only rarely can "hear" insteon signals.  

questions:

if I swapped the insteon switch for a z-wave switch, would you expect better reliability of communication?

I have 994i but am not sure if it supports Z-wave.  do I need to do some upgrade to use it?

facts:
I have nothing z-wave on my system.
I have a very (electrically) noisy bathroom fan that is switched with a dual band insteon switch that only rarely can "hear" insteon signals.  
questions:
if I swapped the insteon switch for a z-wave switch, would you expect better reliability of communication?
I have 994i but am not sure if it supports Z-wave.  do I need to do some upgrade to use it?

All you need to do is order and install the Z-Wave card from UDI. Next flash your controller with the correct firmware. Lastly, follow the steps in the new hardware as to how to add the new device.

If you decide to go down this road purchase a Z- Wave Plus device to get the most out of the card and the new network. You’ll need a few (120 VAC) repeaters to bolster the network.

So buy something that has dual use like maybe the doorbell?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
14 minutes ago, someguy said:

Yes and Thank you but:

how sure are we that this will resolve my communication problems?

That depends on how many Zwave devices you have between your bathroom and your ISY. Zwave is a mesh network and the more  (non-battery) devices you have the better the communications. Teken suggested that you get repeaters, but I always suggest to get a few plug-in devices, as these are both repeaters AND you can connect a lamp (or any device) so that you actually have a use of the repeating device. Depending on the distance between the bathroom and ISY, 1,2 or 3 repeating devices should be sufficient. Also remember to perform a Zwave "heal" after you add Zwave devices to your network, as this helps optimization of your mesh network.

8 minutes ago, someguy said:

Yes and Thank you but:

Due to a variety of factors no one can definitively say if something will solve an issue. They can only suggest things that can potentially solve an issue. 

With that said, the zwave switch itself would not be effected by noise. Building a strong mesh network however would be paramount to ensuring the switch communicates with the Isy properly. I would recommend adding 2 or 3 additional devices to to start with (depending on distance between isy and location)

Yes and Thank you but:

Personally, unless the goal was just to try something new such as Z-Wave. My focus would really be placed on identifying root cause that is impacting your Insteon network.

The questions I would ask someone is what is the problem? When did it start. Is it persistent and repeatable. What trouble shooting have you done thus far. What new electronic items have you purchased that may correlate with the start of the problem.

Have you confirmed proper bridging / coupling via the 4 tap beacon test as outlined in the full users manual.

Are there noise filters in place where and when needed. What kind of loads are in place now and have you removed them to see if the problem goes away.

If you move the same load to another circuit does the problem follow.

Have you reviewed the level 3 logs to determine possible error codes and clues. While viewing the same how many hops are left out of the possible 3.

Have you completed a scene test to gauged response times.

All of these basic questions if followed and taken off the list will narrow down the possible culprits or at least strike off something that’s not relevant.

the problem is in the noisy exhaust fan in my bathroom.  Before I replaced the fan, there were no problems.  since i've replaced it, I've had this communication problem.  The ISY can always get the message through to turn the fan on, but it can rarely get through to turn it off.  it also makes the other switch on the same circuit unreliable. 

the problem is in the noisy exhaust fan in my bathroom.  Before I replaced the fan, there were no problems.  since i've replaced it, I've had this communication problem.  The ISY can always get the message through to turn the fan on, but it can rarely get through to turn it off.  it also makes the other switch on the same circuit unreliable. 

Have you tried installing a filter at the fan?

3 minutes ago, someguy said:

The exhaust fan is a hard-wired (built in) fan so I don’t know that doing so would meet code. 

Is there a way to do this?

If there's room in the box (at the fan, or at the switch), could use a X10 PRO In-Line Noise Reducer (XPNR) filter.

out of curiosity do you know if Leviton 6287  is useful for Insteon's spectrum?  I have a box of them, just not sure how many are left I sold some on ebay like 15+ years ago.

This filter was intended for X10 so will operate fine with Insteon. Whether it helps filter out the noise depends upon the frequency along with magnitude / intensity of the same.

You have nothing to lose by trying. Just remember you can always try two. One at the load and one at the switch if needed. This has helped a few people in the past. But make sure you complete a hop test and scene test to gauge success.

1 hour ago, Teken said:

You have nothing to lose by trying.

Not the OP.. but I'll look at see how many I still have.  Back around 1998/99 the leviton rep was sending me 72 free to install on the lighting in the office of an important Leviton customer.  the rep thought he ordered 6 boxes of 12 = 72, he actually ordered 6 cases of 12 boxes of 12 or 864.  By the time we called to say gee we got 11 times too many his boss had already signed off on the credit memo, the rep came and took like 3 boxes so had freebies for other customers having issues, told us to keep the rest in case we needed them....

Archived