Motion activated for existing sprinkler system

suttonnc

Looking for a way to add wireless motion detectors (3) to an existing lawn sprinkler system. When a cat comes into the yard, I want the sprinklers to come on, day and night. I thought I could possibly use three Insteon I/O 2450 in and series it through the sprinkler controller. However, I cannot any Insteon outdoor wireless motion sensors. I have been out of the system for a while, do they not make those anymore?? 

Thank you!

Looking for a way to add wireless motion detectors (3) to an existing lawn sprinkler system. When a cat comes into the yard, I want the sprinklers to come on, day and night. I thought I could possibly use three Insteon I/O 2450 in and series it through the sprinkler controller. However, I cannot any Insteon outdoor wireless motion sensors. I have been out of the system for a while, do they not make those anymore?? 

Thank you!

LOL. Sorry but good luck with that.

Edit: I had an ant problem. Didn’t occur to me to solve with Insteon or the ISY. Had to find and seal the hole that the gas man left. Cat needs to be kept out somehow if it’s a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a deer problem.  To deal with it, I repurposed an old Insteon MS and placed it underneath a stone bench in the back yard (so it won't get irrigated -- I believe it was @paulbates who indicated that he uses them outside with just a little superglue to fill the plastic seams, so I did the same).  During certain hours, if motion is detected, it's used to turn on an irrigation zone for a minute (my Rainmachine and the Rainmachine nodeserver come into play).  I have an Insteon outdoor module plugged in on my deck that aids with communications.  This is new this spring, so I'm still fiddling with the MS settings.  I have no idea how long the MS will last.

I occasionally irrigate the dog when I forget to turn it off.

15 minutes ago, larryllix said:

Last time I drove through the western states we noticed...man you guys have  deer problems!

Amen to that.  Try driving around here at twilight... 

The sprinklers make a bit of a racket when they start up, and the nozzles really put out a lot of water.  They lose interest fairly quickly and they just wander off.  Incidentally, they're more afraid of a little sprinkler that they are of humans -- they just look at us, then go back to munching.  They think our dog is a coyote, however, so she gets them moving...

3 minutes ago, suttonnc said:

I have a few old Insteon MS, I will give it a try, I can put little cover over them.

I'm delighted at how well the communications works.  I've got a pretty big back yard (the MS is probably 60', line of sight, from any other Insteon device) and the communications seem to be reliable.

I have 3 MS 1s  outside, no cover. One of them turns on a floodnight under the deck to keep skunks and groundhogs out.

I sealed the side and bottom seems off the front bezel with super glue. The one that covers my driveway was completely covered in ice this winter, don't know why I didn't take a pic. Once it warmed up, it was fine 

They're been 3 and 5 years old

Paul

On 5/19/2020 at 11:48 AM, paulbates said:

I have 3 MS 1s  outside, no cover. One of them turns on a floodnight under the deck to keep skunks and groundhogs out.

I sealed the side and bottom seems off the front bezel with super glue. The one that covers my driveway was completely covered in ice this winter, don't know why I didn't take a pic. Once it warmed up, it was fine 

They're been 3 and 5 years old

Paul

Any issues with moisture ingress into the battery compartment?  Thanks for the report.

• 8 months later...

Is this still working?

How do you control how long the sprinkler runs before it shuts off again?

What are all the parts needed and is there a good outdoor rated motion sensor available now?

I called a few sprinkler installers to see if they could set something set up like this, but they didn’t seem interested in figuring out how to do it. 
I need to keep dog walkers from allowing their dogs on my lawn to kill plants and grass. I have an additional requirement of needing to be able disable the motion sensor on a set schedule for the days and times when the landscaping service is scheduled to mow and blow and trim hedges. 

Is there any motion sensor that can be set with a very precise motion sensing area so it will trigger for people/animals at the edge of the lawn, but won’t trigger if a car dives by a few feet further away from the curb?

14 hours ago, onlinelawn said:

Is this still working?

What are all the parts needed and is there a good outdoor rated motion sensor available now?

I called a few sprinkler installers to see if they could set something set up like this, but they didn’t seem interested in figuring out how to do it. 
I need to keep dog walkers from allowing their dogs on my lawn to kill plants and grass. I have an additional requirement of needing to be able disable the motion sensor on a set schedule for the days and times when the landscaping service is scheduled to mow and blow and trim hedges. 

Is there any motion sensor that can be set with a very precise motion sensing area so it will trigger for people/animals at the edge of the lawn, but won’t trigger if a car dives by a few feet further away from the curb?

I can't help you with a more precise motion sensor, but my setup is still working.  I currently have two original Insteon motion sensors outside (one for each irrigation zone I'm interested in), and they're active.  My sprinkler system has been winterized, so it's not currently in use, but the motion sensors still work, and I plan on running this setup into the future.  I may very well expand this setup to more irrigation zones this coming spring.

I have a Rainmachine irrigation controller, and use the Rainmachine nodeserver and ISY, along with a few simple programs to control the setup.  It's easy to set a schedule for the programs to not run when your landscapers are around. 

Upon activation, I run the zone for one minute, which is sufficient for deer (or golfers retrieving their ball from my back yard) to get the idea and move on.  I think the noise and water startle the deer, and just the water works with the golfers.  I'm not currently using this setup for dogs and their walkers, so I can't speak as to how effective this will be in that use case.

I've considered buying the Zooz Outdoor Motion Sensor, but until my old Insteon sensors give up the ghost, I probably won't.

Is this still working?
Use a decent IP Camera and a Camect along with the Camect nodeserver you can do whatever you want.
https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/31800-polyglot-v2-camect-nodeserver

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I ended up moving before I got it all set up. That is a good point about if a car drives by, mine would have probably have been triggered. 

With my new house, I am doing something similar but not for sprinkler system. When outside motion is triggered at night, a scene of inside lights will trigger. So, random lights will turn on when motion is triggered outside. Kind of a simple security system.

Archived