Release 4.8.0 Is Now Official

Michel Kohanim

Hello all,

NOTE: If you are already on any 5.0.x firmware, please disregard this message.

Release 4.8.0 is a very minor maintenance release the most important purpose of which is to Disable the Climate Module in 4.x firmware. As you may already know, Aeries services will be shutoff on 06/30/2020 and, if not disabled in ISY994, will result in unnecessary processing and degradation of performance.

Please consider trying 5.0.16 RC1 which is our next gen firmware and packed with features and enhancements including support for a variety of Weather Services through ISY Portal, assigning device states to variables and back, Polyglot which integrates with so very many other things, and Z-Wave multi channel support. 

Instructions:

1. Please backup your ISY (File | Backup ISY). If you are backing up a 3.1.6 system, please note that the backups are corrupted. If you have a backup from prior releases, you should be OK

2. Please use the ISY Launcher to login to the Admin Console and choose Help | Automatically Upgrade [the name of your system]

Or, if yo wish to actually download the firmware and install it manually:

-- 2m1. Please download the firmware for your platform - please do not unzip

3. Log back in using the ISY Launcher. ISY Launcher will automatically choose the correct UI

4. Please backup your system again

Thanks and with kind regards,

Michel

Ok, I'm a dumba**. The email announcing the new release stated "NOTE: If you are already on 5.0.16 firmware, please ignore this message." I was on 5.0.15A, so I technically followed the rules, but didn't stop to think why I was going from 5.0.15A down to 4.8.0 (which I just noticed). Trying to do work work and this upgrade at the same time. Sooooo......

How do I recover from an attempted downgrade that went bad?

Original post:

I just attempted to upgrade my ISY994i ZW IR PRO from 5.0.15A to 5.0.16 using the manual method (since there was no Automatically Upgrade option on my Help screen). I used the second file above, but now that I am re-reading it, I'm not sure if I should have used the first one since I have a PLM. Regardless, the ISY now has a blinking red error light, cannot be reached by any method and currently does not have an IP address. Power, Rx, Tx LEDs are lit, Memory is off and Error is flashing. I have looked at the Wiki troubleshooting guide and it says "ISY cannot communicate with the SD Card". I powered down the ISY, removed the SD Card and put it in my Mac and can read it with no issues, so at least I know it isn't corrupted. I do have a current backup.

Next step?

Well I did the manual upgrade of the recommended firmware ( ISY 994i Series including Z-Wave Support ) and I am unable to log into the Admin Console. I get a "Failed. Retry Authenticating ISY".

Not sure what the path forward is?

I believe after posting this I saw another post from someone with the same issue.

the only path forward looks like a factory reset and restore backup.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Stupid question, but I do not have the climate module, at least I never ordered it or installed it or paid for it. Do I still need to do this update? My system is 4.7.3. I always fear firmware updates should something go awry.

Thank-you!

13 minutes ago, johnjces said:

Stupid question, but I do not have the climate module, at least I never ordered it or installed it or paid for it. Do I still need to do this update? My system is 4.7.3. I always fear firmware updates should something go awry.

Thank-you!

No. You need v5!

12 minutes ago, atomicboy said:

This just gets worse .... now when I try to restore I get an Error. Upgrade Failed: Invalid system configuration file. 

I guess I have lost everything including all my programming. This really sucks!

If you made a a good backup, you are never lost with ISY.

I have a number of backups. I was using my win 10 pc and the restore failed however it powers that after the reset and login as admin / admin. The restore kicked out an error every time I tried it.

I jumped over to my Mac Book Pro, did a ISY reset and logged in admin/admin. The devices seem to be very slowly repopulating. I have over 30 and some are binary sensors so it is taking a long time. I have never had to do a restore before and was fooled because after each device repopulating it shows as NOT busy. Looks like I just leave it and see what I have in the morning before I try another restore.

Fingers crossed as this will take days of work to recover if the backup does not work.

I just attempted, twice, to upgrade from 4.7.5 to 4.8.0.  Both times it failed.  The second time I watched closely, and saw it failed at 95% with the attached error message.  I am able to accept the error (OK), logout and log back in successfully but am still on 4.7.5.

I have been working on the system quite a bit the past few days and have gotten a number of these java errors, but typically the action I was taking succeeded anyhow.  I had all intentions of upgrading to 5.0.16C but now I am very nervous to try that if this simple upgrade won't proceed.  I've always done automatic upgrades in the past with no issues.

FWIW... I do have the -Xmx512m parameter to give Java more room.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Capture.JPG

OK, just for giggles before going to bed, I decided to clear Java cache INCLUDING Applets and try upgrading again.  This time, it succeed successfully and I am on 4.8.0.

Should I have any concerns about upgrading to 5.0.16?

40 minutes ago, bfish said:

OK, just for giggles before going to bed, I decided to clear Java cache INCLUDING Applets and try upgrading again.  This time, it succeed successfully and I am on 4.8.0.

Should I have any concerns about upgrading to 5.0.16?

Jumping to v5 will usually find you with some programs an scenes where the code lines could not be upgraded properly and UDI knew it. They will have their program icons marked in yellow, and lines either replaced by comments, or lines in question marked with comments.

Some scenes may have to be corrected and re-saved.

When done the corrections save a backup in v5 format. They are not compatible. If it gets unbearable, just reload your last v4 and restore from your V4 backup.

Allow about 1-4 hours best-worst.

On 4.7.3 with no intention of going to 5.anything.

Don't have a climate module. Do have Z-Wave.

Don't like all the install errors I'm seeing here about going to 4.8.0 and don't want to spin my wheels fixing a mess. I've got better things to do. My system is working just fine. Also don't consider this question as stupid. The question is: If there's no climate module do I need to attempt installing 4.8.0. Yes or No. Don't tell me I need V5... I don't.

If the answer is yes, bfish says clearing the java cache allowed the update to work. In my Java cache, I see: ISY994 Administrative Console, ISY Launcher, Java Detection & NV_JavaDetect.32.0.1

Is it safe to delete these, including the ISY's? If so, I'll do that before the install.

BTW: If the box connecting the Insteon network to the ISY is called a PLM (been awhile since that was installed), then I have a PLM. Does this affect the install in any way?

9 hours ago, atomicboy said:

I have a number of backups. I was using my win 10 pc and the restore failed however it powers that after the reset and login as admin / admin. The restore kicked out an error every time I tried it.

I jumped over to my Mac Book Pro, did a ISY reset and logged in admin/admin. The devices seem to be very slowly repopulating. I have over 30 and some are binary sensors so it is taking a long time. I have never had to do a restore before and was fooled because after each device repopulating it shows as NOT busy. Looks like I just leave it and see what I have in the morning before I try another restore.

Fingers crossed as this will take days of work to recover if the backup does not work.

At that point I would factory reset my ISY, reformat the SD card and install ISY v5.0.16C, then restore your v5 backup.

This will start your whole thing fresh and forgive all the accumulated junk inside ISY from experimenting. The whole process takes about half an  hour or less. You will need to be able to telnet into (PuTTY works) your ISY to format your SD card inside ISY. The reloading of the O/S is built in from a chopped down admin console.

I was able to login to my isy with PUTTY successfully using admin/admin.

i see a list of commands and I am researching the command set. I am wondering if I do the reformat of the SD Card (I need the command line for this) I am not certain I know how to acquire and reload the O/S. I will continue to research online how to do the above but anyone who can point me to the instructions would be greatly appreciated. It certainly will cut my time and build my confidence in undertaking the steps. 

I appear to have no choice but to do this as my backup will not restore on the isy following the previous reset.

On 4.7.3 with no intention of going to 5.anything.
Don't have a climate module. Do have Z-Wave.
Don't like all the install errors I'm seeing here about going to 4.8.0 and don't want to spin my wheels fixing a mess. I've got better things to do. My system is working just fine. Also don't consider this question as stupid. The question is: If there's no climate module do I need to attempt installing 4.8.0. Yes or No. Don't tell me I need V5... I don't.
If the answer is yes, bfish says clearing the java cache allowed the update to work. In my Java cache, I see: ISY994 Administrative Console, ISY Launcher, Java Detection & NV_JavaDetect.32.0.1
Is it safe to delete these, including the ISY's? If so, I'll do that before the install.

BTW: If the box connecting the Insteon network to the ISY is called a PLM (been awhile since that was installed), then I have a PLM. Does this affect the install in any way?

No, you don’t need to do anything. Does your environment have a mix of Insteon & Z-Wave?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used PUTTY to access SD Card and used the FS command. As as I could tell nothing happened.closed it down manually.

i then tried restore back up and I get Java errors. Cleared Java Cache. Tried restore backup again and Java errors. 

I sure regret trying to upgrade the firmware!

After pulling the SD Card, reformatting it and reinstalling it I got everything back up BUT I am now logged in as admin/admin and when I try to restore my isy backup I get Upgrade Failed: Invalid System. Configuration file.

i have I idea what it is or how to find it?

I tried a variety of FW files with no luck but my last ditch attempt was to use the 5..0.16C FW.

This allowed me to do a restore of my most current isy back up.

Roughly 13 hours of screwing around.

all my devices, programs and variables seem to have been restored. Phew!

53 minutes ago, atomicboy said:

I tried a variety of FW files with no luck but my last ditch attempt was to use the 5..0.16C FW.

This allowed me to do a restore of my most current isy back up.

Roughly 13 hours of screwing around.

all my devices, programs and variables seem to have been restored. Phew!

OK. You know the backup has to match the major version revision of the firmware, right? IOW: v4 and v5 backups are not compatible. IIRC UDI changed the style of storage and the internal ISY processing engine in v5 to make it faster and more efficient.

Something not quite right what happened to you. If you get even another glitch I would open a ticket with UDI. You may have something overlooked or even a hardware problem, and UDI is better at those things, and more forgiving with hardware problems.

I was not aware of the V4 and V5 backup Major revision alignment. In my case I was trying to upgrade from a V4.x (from 2019) to a V4.x (2020).

It was out of desperation that I tried the V5. I also have a “temporary” 128 Mb SD card in it now and it is going to stay despite only needing 8 Mb.

I also suspected potential glitchy hardware which I was going to keep a watch out for.

For me, I just want to set it and forget it as I have a host of other stuff that needs attention. My initial purchase (My first introduction) of an isy a few years back was plaqued with an issue that required an RMA and all involved were good at addressing it.

Thanks again for your guidance on this. 

Archived