Release 5.1.0 (RC2) is now available

Chris Jahn

11 hours ago, asbril said:

I did without a problem (I then restored a 5.0.16 backup).

I never installed 5.0.x, (went from 4.7.x to 5.1.0 RC2),  so when i downgrade to 5.0.16, will my configuration from 5.1.0 be preserved?

25 minutes ago, AStarink said:

I never installed 5.0.x, (went from 4.7.x to 5.1.0 RC2),  so when i downgrade to 5.0.16, will my configuration from 5.1.0 be preserved?

I really doubt because you don't have a 5.0.16 backup. Theoretically (were you to follow my experience) you would go back to 4.7; restore your 4.7 backup and then go to 5.0.16. However,  I don't know if going back from 5.X to 4.X has issues. Others may know better.

I answered this one time in the same way and was corrected. The essence was you could install 5.0.16 FW and restore a 4.x backup. The newer firmware had conversion code to move forward older backups.

I’d still be inclined to put 4.7 FW back on and restore backup up to it then upgrade to 5.0.16. Too many variables doing it the other way.

I would not attempt to restore a 5.1 backup to 5.0.16 FW.

Hi there, hope you all are well.

Mostly successful upgrade from 4.7.3 to 5.1.0 RC2. I know that this was not recommended, having an older Zwave (board added to 994IR Pro in 12/2013) but 5.0.16C would not see the Zwave ext antenna or board. I'm using the newer UI and that was a specific fix for this release. The motive for digging back in to the ISY is getting an attic fan,  whole house fan, Honeywell YTH8320 ZW1007/U Z-Wave Thermostat and HoneyWell Ademco TuxwifiW Z-Wave 6280i Graphic alarm keypad all integrated. Now the 6280 controls the thermostat via ZWave based on Alarm status. I'd like the ISY to get temp data from the thermostat as well as outside temps as we use the fans for night cooling without an air conditioner. With the loss of the climate module I don't see any sunrise/sunset or weather data fields anymore. The heat waves have made this a pressing issue.

Fortunately, irrigation has been handled by a RainMachine HD12 for the last 6 years, so the deprecation of weather/climate did not affect that. After much reading on this forum it seems a good solution will be running Polyglot on one of the RPi4s  with a weather node and this Polyglot Cloud Intro - YouTube seems like a good place to start. The Polisy seems quite nice, but redundant with a two running RPi4s, especially one already running off a 1TB SSD (its a music server, the other is a pihole). 

Respectfully, some questions:

- Through trial and error, it seems the ISY994i IR/Pro needs the Non OADR firmware, is this correct? I got an error "update failed written size invalid" with the OADR firmware, but the regular completed fine. Oddly, the reverse happened with 5.0.16C.  The external Zwave antenna is recognized and the board seems to show as a Zwave device. The OADR 5.0.16C firmware listed the bootloader as 0.00! 

- When registering the ISY994i on the new UDI product portal, what is the version for this box since it was assembled over time with the addition of the ZWave board (21100 circa 12/13)? It's not clear from my ordering receipts.

- Perhaps the RainMachine Node can pull/push weather data, making a second weather node redundant?

- Do I need to purchase a subscription Polyglot? Is there a better way for weather data?

- Anyone know how to get the Honeywell keypad and thermostat to be seen by the ISY994i? I believe the Honeywell alarm keypad (6280i) is the Primary ZWave controller for the thermostat. Besides the ISY, these are the only ZWaves. Perhaps the ZWave board is bad but with the ISY994i approaching EOL is replacing it really viable?  I think so far, but once things are working there may be more. They are all withing 5 feet of each other, separated by one or two sheetrock walls. The ISY sits in a data closet, hardwired into the main network switch, the alarm pad on the other side of the wall and the thermostat a coat closet away. Internet is gigabit copper with gigabit fiber WAN.   

- I try to answer my own questions and indeed got through most of the update issues for 4.7.3 -> 5.0.16C -> 5.1.0 but having kicked around with ISY since the 99, It's hard to know what procedures have become deprecated, especially with such a major release as 5x. Is this still a good reference for V5: The ISY994 Home Automation Cookbook pdf ? My Keypad lincs don't have the group screens like it shows, but perhaps they need to be deleted and re added. Fortunately, the network isn't really all that large at this point.

- And now a really dumb question, could someone point to the current way to turn something on and off based on sunrise, sunset times by scenes and programs? 

If I should split this up with tickets. please advise me so. 

Thanks in advance.

Be safe out there, wear a mask, the life you save might be someone you love (retired Family MD/MBOC consultant)!

1 hour ago, mink said:

I'd like the ISY to get temp data from the thermostat as well as outside temps as we use the fans for night cooling without an air conditioner. With the loss of the climate module I don't see any sunrise/sunset or weather data fields anymore. The heat waves have made this a pressing issue.

Fortunately, irrigation has been handled by a RainMachine HD12 for the last 6 years, so the deprecation of weather/climate did not affect that. After much reading on this forum it seems a good solution will be running Polyglot on one of the RPi4s  with a weather node and this Polyglot Cloud Intro - YouTube seems like a good place to start. The Polisy seems quite nice, but redundant with a two running RPi4s, especially one already running off a 1TB SSD (its a music server, the other is a pihole). 

- Through trial and error, it seems the ISY994i IR/Pro needs the Non OADR firmware, is this correct? I got an error "update failed written size invalid" with the OADR firmware, but the regular completed fine. Oddly, the reverse happened with 5.0.16C.  The external Zwave antenna is recognized and the board seems to show as a Zwave device. The OADR 5.0.16C firmware listed the bootloader as 0.00!

- When registering the ISY994i on the new UDI product portal, what is the version for this box since it was assembled over time with the addition of the ZWave board (21100 circa 12/13)? It's not clear from my ordering receipts.

- Perhaps the RainMachine Node can pull/push weather data, making a second weather node redundant?

- Do I need to purchase a subscription Polyglot? Is there a better way for weather data?

- Anyone know how to get the Honeywell keypad and thermostat to be seen by the ISY994i? I believe the Honeywell alarm keypad (6280i) is the Primary ZWave controller for the thermostat. Besides the ISY, these are the only ZWaves. Perhaps the ZWave board is bad but with the ISY994i approaching EOL is replacing it really viable?  I think so far, but once things are working there may be more. They are all withing 5 feet of each other, separated by one or two sheetrock walls. The ISY sits in a data closet, hardwired into the main network switch, the alarm pad on the other side of the wall and the thermostat a coat closet away. Internet is gigabit copper with gigabit fiber WAN.   

- I try to answer my own questions and indeed got through most of the update issues for 4.7.3 -> 5.0.16C -> 5.1.0 but having kicked around with ISY since the 99, It's hard to know what procedures have become deprecated, especially with such a major release as 5x. Is this still a good reference for V5: The ISY994 Home Automation Cookbook pdf ? My Keypad lincs don't have the group screens like it shows, but perhaps they need to be deleted and re added. Fortunately, the network isn't really all that large at this point.

- And now a really dumb question, could someone point to the current way to turn something on and off based on sunrise, sunset times by scenes and programs? 

Thanks in advance.

Be safe out there, wear a mask, the life you save might be someone you love (retired Family MD/MBOC consultant)!

I'll try to help.

I believe that the bootloader is no longer necessary. If you are running the latest UI version, it is no longer listed.

For Weather data, if only temps are needed, there is a NOAA nodeserver in the nodeserver store that can be pointed to a nearby NOAA site (also has data for some major international airports) to capture temperature data.

For Polyglot, I was able to get it up and running on a Rasberry Pi very easily, rather than subscribe to the portal.  However, you will need to add the Networking Module to the ISY to use  a Rasberry Pi (Rpi) based polyglot nodeserver.  Look in the Polyglot section of this forum for more info, it will point you in the correct direction.  If you install Polyglot on a Rpi and a nodeserver that accesses local weather data, you won't need a portal subscription. However, if you wish to integrate voice control or other features that require the portal, then that is the obvious choice.  A Portal subscription includes access to the Network Module while the subscription remains valid.

If the Honeywell thermostat supports Zwave, and you have installed the 4.55 version or later of the Zwave firmware on your Zwave accessory within the ISY you should be able to include the thermostat to the ISY.  Zwave inclusion instructions vary for the device.  On the ISY, you choose Zwave/Add a Zwave device and then do the inclusion on the device.  Many devices require the ISY to be very close (<1.5M or 5 ft) to successfully include.  I used an extension cord on the ISY to get some of my Zwave devices included after they were mounted.  Since you say your thermostat and ISY are within that range,  you should be able to include the thermostat without too much trouble.  When the ISY is in Zwave include mode, and the thermostat has signaled it wants to join, there is activity on the ISY UI to show the inclusion.  The Event Viewer on mode 3 will show all communicaiton between ISY and the Zwave device.

For Sunrise, there is a setting in the program interface to set that up, and you can include an offset to sunrise/sunset if you desire. I've attached a screen shot as a guide.

The KPL buttons grouping button is on the far right when you are looking at the primary device of the KPL. You may have to make your UI full-screen to see it.

Things in the UI that have changed (mostly just moved)  do take some poking around to find.  Some new features, such as being able to set the font size are handy.

If you are on an older version of the UI than your ISY firmware, strange behaviors will be expected.  You can use the ISY Launcher (see thread on that) to insure you always load the correct UI.  Very handy if you have multiple ISY units on different versions.

When registering your ISY in the portal, use your UUID rather than the older Serial number that may be on your unit.

EDIT:  Re-reading your info about the alarm panel and thermostat.  If the alarm is the primary Zwave controller, then you can join the ISY to the existing Zwave network and have it be a secondary controller.

You can add the ISY to your existing Zwave controller by including theISY to the alarm panel's Zwave controller - read the manual pages for both devices, but you generally will put your alarm panel Zwave controller in to incude mode, then put ISY into Zwave include mode so they see each other. After the alarm panel controller enrolls the ISY, you can put the ISY in "Learn" mode and it will ingest the topology of the Zwave system from the other controller.  The ISy will then monitor the Zwave network, and will be able to see the data from the thermostat and send commands to it.

image.png.ad11a48fb7db12183f7687203f4a47ed.png

Has this release addressed the problem with ZWave battery devices not having populated battery levels?

Since 5.0.x, it seems each time the ISY reboots, you have to visit each Battery Powered ZWave device and do a Zwave->Synchronize to have the battery level read.  Until you do, there is no battery level (just a blank box or an empty node property when reading from REST).

It's made powerfails the thing of nightmares (when you have 30+ zwave battery powered devices, a powerfail/ISY restart is a day-long event).

Didn't see anything like that, but as this seems to be a mostly ZWave release, well, fingers crossed!!

Gerry

CraigB

Thanks Soo much for the quick reply! My first post got deleted, so here we go again.

19 hours ago, Craigb said:

I believe that the bootloader is no longer necessary. If you are running the latest UI version, it is no longer listed.

Believe am running current UI using latest method to ensure that, 

image.png.3e3a36cc880be6da7fef4d30d4205145.png

For Weather data, if only temps are needed, there is a NOAA nodeserver in the nodeserver store that can be pointed to a nearby NOAA site (also has data for some major international airports) to capture temperature data.

For Polyglot, I was able to get it up and running on a Rasberry Pi very easily, rather than subscribe to the portal.  However, you will need to add the Networking Module to the ISY to use  a Rasberry Pi (Rpi) based polyglot nodeserver

Great, do have to re-enable the Networking module as it got disabled with the upgrade. 

For Sunrise, there is a setting in the program interface to set that up, and you can include an offset to sunrise/sunset if you desire. I've attached a screen shot as a guide.

Thanks, "DUSK" program looks great. How do you handle ISY power failures and resets for the program setting $Away_state? We get power outages now lasting many hours such that even my UPS on the data closet dies. We don't like to run the gas generator while we sleep.

The KPL buttons grouping button is on the far right when you are looking at the primary device of the KPL. You may have to make your UI full-screen to see it.

I tried that. Nothing happens with clicking it. Perhaps the KPL needs to be deleted and re-added or it is in the wrong mode so it can't have Buttons Grouping. The setup is very old. Before I muck it up and find out nothing changes, I'll  see if I have a spare KPL to add fresh. This might have been 6 button that I redid to an 8, so maybe that is the problem. I wanted the top pair of button to be one MASTER ON/OFF and the remaining 7 be individual scenes that toggle ON/OFF. Perhaps that is impossible. Our 1960s house is flex aluminum so adding circuits for separate controls was not possible - many KPLs and inLineLincs.

image.png.2db69848242db7108c1e857a7889b206.png

image.png.657880685ab1f8d5659253f3531848a9.png

When registering your ISY in the portal, use your UUID rather than the older Serial number that may be on your unit.

They have a pull down with a slew of different versions to pick which confused me. I should likely shoot a question to support about that. Since my OP, what I have is the ISY994i IR/PRO with the 300 ZWave Board added and an external antenna. All my Zwave are several years old, so upgrading the board to the 500 (which may not even be available) may not make sense even since it seems the ISY994i is approaching EOL anyway.

If the alarm is the primary Zwave controller, then you can join the ISY to the existing Zwave network and have it be a secondary controller.

You can add the ISY to your existing Zwave controller by including theISY to the alarm panel's Zwave controller ... but you generally will put your alarm panel Zwave controller in to incude mode, then put ISY into Zwave include mode so they see each other. After the alarm panel controller enrolls the ISY, you can put the ISY in "Learn" mode and it will ingest the topology of the Zwave system from the other controller.

Great, sounds like the  way to go. I've been confused about which should be primary vs secondary and this seems to make the most sense. Ideally, I'd like to get Alarm zone status into the ISY from the VISTA20p Alarm panel, but doubt that will be possible. It has the 9.12 PROM chip with TC2.0 and internet so we get status updates with a nice UI. In a perfect world the ISY would check for open windows, low outdoor temp, high indoor temp and turn on the whole house fan, provided the fire detectors have not tripped <G>. (So perhaps a ISY detector as well - more likely shut off if house temperature above 105 as that just doesn't happen here normally?) Somehow I don't think that is possible without adding either a Zwave or Insteon window sensor just for the ISY as a proxy for having opened up the windows for whole house fan. Unfortunately, the fan is controlled now by a two speed pull chain. It would have to be left in one speed for the ISY unless the pull chain switch it subbed out - not really something I wish to do. The current setup leaves a nice manual backup in case of hardware failure.

Again thank you kindly

Cheeers

image.png

image.png

21 hours ago, mink said:

Hi there, hope you all are well.

Mostly successful upgrade from 4.7.3 to 5.1.0 RC2. I know that this was not recommended, having an older Zwave (board added to 994IR Pro in 12/2013) but 5.0.16C would not see the Zwave ext antenna or board. I'm using the newer UI and that was a specific fix for this release. The motive for digging back in to the ISY is getting an attic fan,  whole house fan, Honeywell YTH8320 ZW1007/U Z-Wave Thermostat and HoneyWell Ademco TuxwifiW Z-Wave 6280i Graphic alarm keypad all integrated. Now the 6280 controls the thermostat via ZWave based on Alarm status. I'd like the ISY to get temp data from the thermostat as well as outside temps as we use the fans for night cooling without an air conditioner. With the loss of the climate module I don't see any sunrise/sunset or weather data fields anymore. The heat waves have made this a pressing issue.

- Through trial and error, it seems the ISY994i IR/Pro needs the Non OADR firmware, is this correct? I got an error "update failed written size invalid" with the OADR firmware, but the regular completed fine. Oddly, the reverse happened with 5.0.16C.  The external Zwave antenna is recognized and the board seems to show as a Zwave device. The OADR 5.0.16C firmware listed the bootloader as 0.00! There are no firmware updates for the zwave boards.

- When registering the ISY994i on the new UDI product portal, what is the version for this box since it was assembled over time with the addition of the ZWave board (21100 circa 12/13)? It's not clear from my ordering receipts. its the UUID of your ISY help>about

- Do I need to purchase a subscription Polyglot? Is there a better way for weather data? Sort of. You can purchase a subscription to the portal  or purchase the network module outright. Then you can set polyglot up on a RPI and manage things yourself. The other alternative is to purchase a polisy which comes with a 2 year portal subscription.

- Anyone know how to get the Honeywell keypad and thermostat to be seen by the ISY994i? I believe the Honeywell alarm keypad (6280i) is the Primary ZWave controller for the thermostat. Besides the ISY, these are the only ZWaves. Perhaps the ZWave board is bad but with the ISY994i approaching EOL is replacing it really viable?  I think so far, but once things are working there may be more. They are all withing 5 feet of each other, separated by one or two sheetrock walls. The ISY sits in a data closet, hardwired into the main network switch, the alarm pad on the other side of the wall and the thermostat a coat closet away. Internet is gigabit copper with gigabit fiber WAN.   ISY is not eol so replacing it does not have to be an option. The best options depends on the path you choose to take. Your devices may not be found for multiple reasons. Mainly they are too far to be seen. Ive linked to a post I wrote about zwave to help get you going.

- I try to answer my own questions and indeed got through most of the update issues for 4.7.3 -> 5.0.16C -> 5.1.0 but having kicked around with ISY since the 99, It's hard to know what procedures have become deprecated, especially with such a major release as 5x. Is this still a good reference for V5: The ISY994 Home Automation Cookbook pdf ? Yes

My Keypad lincs don't have the group screens like it shows, but perhaps they need to be deleted and re added. Fortunately, the network isn't really all that large at this point.

- And now a really dumb question, could someone point to the current way to turn something on and off based on sunrise, sunset times by scenes and programs? Programming hasnt changed at all. Just added capabilities.

Thanks in advance.

HI All,

Three years away and jumping into a huge upgrade from 4.x to 5.1.0. I have been working on it for a couple of days now. Today while pounding away on cleaning up scenes, I noticed that my Memory LED on the ISY is busy busy busy. Then quiet, then super busy for long period of time. What I was doing at the time was cleaning up "retries" in scenes which were a mess. I opened up the event viewer to level 3 and saw stuff like this:

Sun 08/23/2020 06:14:41 PM : [FileOpen    ] Open failed for [/CONF/223.PRP] (r)

Sun 08/23/2020 06:14:41 PM : [FileOpen    ] Open failed for [/CONF/100.PRP] (r)

Sun 08/23/2020 06:14:42 PM : [FileOpen    ] Open failed for [/CONF/436.PRP] (r)

Sun 08/23/2020 06:14:42 PM : [FileOpen    ] Open failed for [/CONF/139.PRP] (r)

Sun 08/23/2020 06:14:42 PM : [FileOpen    ] Open failed for [/CONF/21.PRP] (r)

And lots of it. I mean LOTS. Like 150 lines a minute. I left the event viewer open for about 25 minutes and had over 3500 of these entries. I am not sure if it related to what I was doing, some error I made in the upgrade, subsequent downgrade back to 4.x to get program enabled values, subsequent re-upgrade and micro SD card replacement in there. Or maybe it is a bug with 5.1.0. not sure, but there it is. I will keep an eye on the ISY and see if it settles down when I am not working on the system. But it was pretty much doing all day over the 10 hours I have been putting in today.

On 8/21/2020 at 11:47 PM, blueman2 said:

Yes, I also had this happen several versions ago.  Just add "Query All" back to the then statement.  make sure program is still enabled to run at 3am.  

I cannot figure out how to add "Query All" back to the Then statement.  What type of command is Query All listed under?

2 hours ago, Brian H said:

Mine is My Lighting. I believe it was a carry over from back when I had an ISY26 and then an ISY99i.

That's when lighting power conservation was paramount and there wasn't much more we wanted to control. :)

On 8/23/2020 at 5:00 PM, mink said:

CraigB

Thanks Soo much for the quick reply! My first post got deleted, so here we go again.

Believe am running current UI using latest method to ensure that, 

image.png.3e3a36cc880be6da7fef4d30d4205145.png

Great, do have to re-enable the Networking module as it got disabled with the upgrade. 

Thanks, "DUSK" program looks great. How do you handle ISY power failures and resets for the program setting $Away_state? We get power outages now lasting many hours such that even my UPS on the data closet dies. We don't like to run the gas generator while we sleep.

I tried that. Nothing happens with clicking it. Perhaps the KPL needs to be deleted and re-added or it is in the wrong mode so it can't have Buttons Grouping. The setup is very old. Before I muck it up and find out nothing changes, I'll  see if I have a spare KPL to add fresh. This might have been 6 button that I redid to an 8, so maybe that is the problem. I wanted the top pair of button to be one MASTER ON/OFF and the remaining 7 be individual scenes that toggle ON/OFF. Perhaps that is impossible. Our 1960s house is flex aluminum so adding circuits for separate controls was not possible - many KPLs and inLineLincs.

image.png.2db69848242db7108c1e857a7889b206.png

image.png.657880685ab1f8d5659253f3531848a9.png

They have a pull down with a slew of different versions to pick which confused me. I should likely shoot a question to support about that. Since my OP, what I have is the ISY994i IR/PRO with the 300 ZWave Board added and an external antenna. All my Zwave are several years old, so upgrading the board to the 500 (which may not even be available) may not make sense even since it seems the ISY994i is approaching EOL anyway.

Great, sounds like the  way to go. I've been confused about which should be primary vs secondary and this seems to make the most sense. Ideally, I'd like to get Alarm zone status into the ISY from the VISTA20p Alarm panel, but doubt that will be possible. It has the 9.12 PROM chip with TC2.0 and internet so we get status updates with a nice UI. In a perfect world the ISY would check for open windows, low outdoor temp, high indoor temp and turn on the whole house fan, provided the fire detectors have not tripped <G>. (So perhaps a ISY detector as well - more likely shut off if house temperature above 105 as that just doesn't happen here normally?) Somehow I don't think that is possible without adding either a Zwave or Insteon window sensor just for the ISY as a proxy for having opened up the windows for whole house fan. Unfortunately, the fan is controlled now by a two speed pull chain. It would have to be left in one speed for the ISY unless the pull chain switch it subbed out - not really something I wish to do. The current setup leaves a nice manual backup in case of hardware failure.

Again thank you kindly

Cheeers

image.png

image.png

You should not use the button groupings as these settings reside locally on the kpl and the isy would not receive the proper updates when button are pressed. Its much better to configure your devices using scenes. This will accomplish the same thing while at the same time keeping the isy in sync

For example

A- Controller

B,C,D- Responder Off

B- Controller

A,C,D Responder Off

C- Controller

A,B,D- Responder Off

D- Controller

A,B,C- Responder Off

3 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

You should not use the button groupings as these settings reside locally on the kpl and the isy would not receive the proper updates when button are pressed. Its much better to configure your devices using scenes. This will accomplish the same thing while at the same time keeping the isy in sync

For example

A- Controller

B,C,D- Responder Off

B- Controller

A,C,D Responder Off

C- Controller

A,B,D- Responder Off

D- Controller

A,B,C- Responder Off

@lilyoyo1 Thank you kindly, it appears I'm not using them anyway, but yes, no wish to do anything outside of the ISY!

So, much progress to report: 

The Isy994i is now a secondary controller to the TUXWIFI Z-Wave AlarmKeypad network with access to house temperatures.

Interestingly the Thermostat appears as both a controller and a responder. 

image.thumb.png.dfdbf5b4a2517badb312d51a84745ddc.png

This is what I had to do:

First I followed this from the "Automation Cookbook" and other instructions (The TUXWIFI Primary Controller was already in Z-Wave add mode, listening):

image.png.55499ac08301cd4c7ab1760210aa1cbf.png

Several tries resulted in seeming hangs, so I exited back.

However the Z-Wave Menu changed to having a Learn Mode:

The Z-Wave | Learn Mode menu item had to be clicked, which caused enrollment activity and several nodes appeared (yea).

This is all with the 300 Z-Wave board and an External antenna.

image.png.31960a5204d7d5b73dfcd7c6af91fd1d.png

So now to figure out how to use these to control the whole house fan by house temp. I also need to monitor a window so that the fan is not turned on without an open window. I had hoped to access Alarm system contact status (but doubted it would be available). I found an I/O linc in the Insteon parts box so can run a pair into the alarm box and connect it in parallel to a window dry contact magnetic reed sensor. It works on my desk, just to hook it up now. Looks like a program is needed for this, as too much for a scene.

Cheers and thanks.

On 8/21/2020 at 8:17 PM, larryllix said:

Take one for the team. Contact UDI support. They will want to know about this and will help you quickly.

So I contacted support (wish all support was like this.. these guys are awesome.. they even replied over the weekend!) anyway, turned out I needed a PRO license as I maxed out of the number of support nodes (>= 254) ..  there is currently no node count in the GUI and when I counted the nodes from the main page i did not have that many.. I have a feeling that Polyglot added a lot of (hidden?) nodes that all count towards that quota..  I'm guessing others will run into this when adding lots of Node Servers... anyway $30 well spent for a PRO license!

3 minutes ago, AStarink said:

So I contacted support (wish all support was like this.. these guys are awesome.. they even replied over the weekend!) anyway, turned out I needed a PRO license as I maxed out of the number of support nodes (>= 254) ..  there is currently no node count in the GUI and when I counted the nodes from the main page i did not have that many.. I have a feeling that Polyglot added a lot of (hidden?) nodes that all count towards that quota..  I'm guessing others will run into this when adding lots of Node Servers... anyway $30 well spent for a PRO license!

Yup! UDI is awesome! That is one big reason so many of us are here!!!

ISY Control of Whole House fan, polling Zwave Thermostat with safety checks and Manual / Auto switching

In case anyone interested this mostly works. Perhaps this post should be elsewhere [I posted an edited version in Questions & Answers - will let Mod decide  if this post should remain for continuity or be deleted] . I apologize if this should have been split up and if this has been beaten to death in prior posts (looked, however). This was a continuation of the earlier post.

I used variables, but am not very good at ISY programming, so this likely could have been done better with using the programs as the variables, but it was a long time since I've touched anything in ISY land.<G> I'm also fighting the ISY994i IR/Pro as it won't let me delete or rename any of the existing devices. Open ticket on that. Hope that upgrading the Z-wave board to 500 (on the way), and firmware from 5.1 RC2 to 5.2 will help.

Notes

• The whole house fan is a fairly powerful two speed, pull chain type, in the central hallway of a 2,500 sq ft house that is in the attic space access hatch, on a counter weighted piano hinge.
  • A 8-KPL secondary ON button is part of a standard 3-way for manual control.
  • It is not a good idea to run this fan without a window open, especially if ever the furnace got turned on, or during cooking, so an open window check gets run. (Eventualy) Closing the monitored window will shutoff the fan in both FAN auto and ON modes. 
  • Need a wireless window sensor. For testing, an old IOLinc dry contact is sitting on my desk.
  • Variables have INIT values so on power fail recovery the fan is shutdown. This might be a case for sticking with variables, but likely possible with program as variable approach too. I just felt more comfortable with variables, but one should move to the best practices. Eventually, once the above issues sorted might try to setup graceful power fail recovery.
  • Need an outdoor temperature sensor to monitor night temp. Right now the we make the choice to run with a KPL button that indicates FAN auto status.
  • With outdoor temperature, the program could calculate the HouseTempGoal.
  • Eventually I will likely either buy a Polysis or run Polyglot on one of the RPi4s 4G currently running. (Might even get a third RPI4 to segregate function and have more redundancy, especially with native boot from SSD now. They already run off USB/SSD with the SDcards just being boot loaders.) With eventually getting weather data, may also factor in predicted low and high, which is part of the manual setting of the night target temp now. Having outdoor air temp local CURRENT, temperature, though is better.
  • Hotter places will need to adjust the iThStat.HouseTemp.Fire value. It is a good idea to have an upper limit for auto house fans, no 'fanning the flames'. The CZU fire isn't all that far away right now, and I'm considering a temporary furnace filter in on of the windows, but so far, our nights have seen the smoke reduce enough. In the morning, after closing all the windows, air filters clean up the air well. In 20+ years we've not needed AC. Solar panels helped by shading the sun facing roof/attic, as did an attic ventilator fan (used to be controlled by the ISY for season on/off, may add back)!

--> Any recommendations for indoor window sensor and outdoor thermometer (under porch is actually quite protected), probably Z-wave? Aotec, Zooz and inovelli seem popular but some scary reviews are out there so hard to know.

---  Core control program, events like closing a window, time change trigger evaluation:

NightCoolFanOn-Control - [ID 000E][Parent 0014]

If
        (
             $sWindow.Open is 1
         And $sThStat.HouseTemp > $sHouseTemp.Goal
         And $sThStat.HouseTemp < $iThStat.HouseTemp.FIRE
         And $sNightCoolTime.Yes is 1
         And $sFAN.House.Mode.Auto >= 1
        )

Then
        Set 'Scenes.Button / EntryKpd / EntryKpdLtOn.H.FanRelay.Contr' Fast On
        Wait  4 seconds
        Set 'LTinside.Scenes / House.FanRelay.Contr' Fast On
        Wait  4 seconds
        Set 'LTinside.Scenes / House.FanRelay.Contr' Fast On

Else
        Set 'Scenes.Button / EntryKpd / EntryKpdLtOn.H.FanRelay.Contr' Fast Off
        Wait  4 seconds
        Set 'LTinside.Scenes / House.FanRelay.Contr' Fast Off
        Wait  4 seconds
        Set 'LTinside.Scenes / House.FanRelay.Contr' Fast Off

--- Polling the Honeywell YTH8320 ZW1007/U Z-Wave Thermostat. I tried 15 minutes but for some nights, 10 was better. I 10 is too often, 15 is ok.

GetThStatData - [ID 000C][Parent 0014]

If
        From    12:00:00AM
        For      24 hours 

Then
        Repeat Every  10 minutes 
           $iThStat.HouseTemp.Prior  = $sThStat.HouseTemp
           Set 'ZW 002 Thermostat' Query
           Wait  2 minutes 
           $sThStat.HouseTemp  = 'ZW 002 Thermostat' Temperature °F
           $sThStat.HeatSetPt  = 'ZW 002 Thermostat' Heat Setpoint °F
           $sThStat.Mode  = 'ZW 002 Thermostat' Mode 
           $sThStat.FanMode  = 'ZW 002 Thermostat' Fan Mode 
           $sThStat.FanModeOveride  = 'ZW 002 Thermostat' Fan Mode Override 
           $sThStat.FanState  = 'ZW 002 Thermostat' Fan State 
           $sThStat.HeatCoolState  = 'ZW 002 Thermostat' Heat/Cool State 
           $sThStat.Responding  = 'ZW 002 Thermostat' Responding 

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

---
NightCoolSetFanMode - [ID 0012][Parent 0014][Run At Startup]

If
        'EntryKpd.G' is switched On
     Or 'EntryKpd.G' is switched Fast On

Then
        $sFAN.House.Mode.Auto  = 1
        Run Program 'NightCoolFanOn-Control' (Then Path)

Else
        $sFAN.House.Mode.Auto  = 0
        Run Program 'NightCoolFanOn-Control' (Else Path)

--- This could get the outdoor temperature initially, ie only cool if outdoor temp lower than indoor temp by a certain delta. With a fanlinc, https://www.amazon.com/Insteon-2475F-FanLinc-Dual-Band-Controller/dp/B00715SU4A
increasing the speed for a smaller delta might be good. I've thought of putting a fanlinc in a J-box, wired to the Hot wire and leaving the House fan in HIGH. Not sure if that migh burn out the motor though. Frankly. On hot days, cycling on/off on high was fine, and on less hot days, there would be shorter cycles.

NightCoolTimeSet - [ID 0003][Parent 0014][Run At Startup]

If
        From    Sunrise + 10 minutes
        To      Sunset  + 20 minutes (same day)

Then
        $sNightCoolTime.Yes  = 0

Else
        $sNightCoolTime.Yes  = 1

Sets variables iDaylight and sDaylight to '1' if between Sunrise and Sunset, '0' otherwise

---
WindowIsOpen - [ID 000B][Parent 0014][Run At Startup]

If
        'House.Devices / 17.77.11-Sensor' is not switched Off
    And 'House.Devices / 17.77.11-Sensor' is switched On

Then
        $sWindow.Open  = 1

Else
        $sWindow.Open  = 0
        Wait  5 seconds
        Set 'LTinside.Scenes / HouseFan.Relay.On' Fast Off

--- I don't think being used for this version, but might be useful in future. I think the button 'IF' is incorrect, need to look at it more.

NightCoolFanManual-Trigger - [ID 0002][Parent 0014]

If
        'EntryKpd.H' is switched Off
    And $sFAN.House.Mode.Auto >= 1

Then
        $sFAN.House.Mode.ManualOn  = 1

Else
        $sFAN.House.Mode.ManualOn  = 0

--- Yes, well, no kidding, shutdown everything, we might be on fire. Hmm, the are variables set last to avoid trigger the fan control program, likely best to just stop it first? 

NightCoolFanFire-Action - [ID 0009][Parent 0014][Run At Startup]

If
        $sThStat.HouseTemp > $iThStat.HouseTemp.FIRE

Then
        Set 'House.Devices / YardLightTransformerRelay' Fast Off
        Wait  3 seconds
        Set 'Scenes.Button / EntryKpd / EntryKpdLtOn.H.FanRelay.Contr' Fast Off
        Wait  3 seconds
        Set 'House.Devices / YardLightTransformerRelay' Fast Off
        $sFAN.House.Mode.ManualOn  = 0
        $sFAN.House.Mode.Auto  = 0
        $sNightCoolTime.Yes  = 0

Else
   - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Here is the Scene for the House.Fan.Realy [sorry, I can't rename the device right now, it used to control a mag transformer for the yard lights. Also the GrowLtHtrPadRelay is for testing at night when wife is sleeping - no seedling starts needed right now]
FanRelayTree.JPG.ed749004148f78cda7becf3228852415.JPG

Here is the Scene definitions for the Entry area 8KPL with
 [Button G] FAN for Auto
[Button H] ON for Manual control
EntryKPD-H.JPG.460fb3f3ae8e003942c4a1becb741d33.JPG

Finally the standard 3 way Scene: I wonder if this is really needed, but things seem to be working so well.

SceneHouseFaneRelayOne3wayJPG.JPG.28c25ecad9b74cd8fc86f9a670fcea42.JPG

Here is the State.variable table.

STATEvariables.JPG.e48d5b14b37f019983670244e9734d0a.JPG

I'm sure there is room for much improvement, but this is a starting point.

cheers and stay safe.

Archived