Release 5.2.0 (RC3) - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

On 9/13/2020 at 6:26 AM, MrBill said:

Correct, don't unzip the file.   I try downloading the file again, and ensure that you are downloading the correct file. (there is a choice of 2, see the first post of this thread.)

The issue seems to be that I was using the ISY launcher rather than admin16.jnlp (cMP Mac using 10.15.6 - Catalina under open core 0.6.0). I received the error with the launcher (tried 5.1.0 with same error) but with admin16 the updates installed quickly and without incident. I see now that the upgrade instructions say to use admin16 with 10.6.X after the upgrade but the ISY launcher seems to work except for the upgrade. Confused now whether I should always use admin16 on a mac. ISY launcher thread seems to indicate that it works with a mac though.

I have upgraded from 5.0.16c and 300 zwave module to 5.2.0 and 500 zwave module. Some items which will be helpful to anyone else making this transition:

The directions for updating from 300 to 500 zwave module here state that you need to be running 5.0.13 or newer. I was forced to upgrade to 5.2.0 in order to get the zwave restore to work. This step failed when attempted with 5.0.16c, with "Dongle contains unsupported Z-Wave version and/or library" and "Failed to Restore Z-Wave dongle using backup..." messages present in the event viewer.

After I upgraded to 5.2.0, and the zwave restore completed sucessfully, I was presented with the following window:

image.png.64ef5153f9d930c6a8dc25f1390307fc.png

I did not perform the zwave synchronize all. Most of my zwave devices (which are almost all gen5) were present and not showing errors in the admin console (AC). For those devices that were showing errors (exclamation point in front of the name in the AC), after I did a right click / zwave / show information in event viewer / all, the exclamation point went away, and the association and neighbors information in the viewer looked correct. 

The only possible remaining issue I have is that the device status under my Roomba and BlueIris node servers in the AC seem to be very sluggish about updating. I have rebooted both my ISY and my POLISY, and the sluggishness persists. Some of the status fields are updating, but not all of them. I'm going to give it some more time and see if it resolves on its own. 

I'm going to throw out another idea to everyone that don't want to necessarily upgrade to a 500 series board.    I've got 3 ISY99's, 2 of which with the old series 3 board, that I went and upgraded to 5.2.0 and left the old zwave board in, disabled.  Why would I do this?

Because earlier this year I moved all of my Z-Wave network over to OpenZWave on Home Assistant on a RPI4.

Im not going to lie,  MIchel has done an excellent job over the years of building one of the greatest insteon controllers out there, period.    While I decided not to go the polygot route, because I have so many other things that integrated so nicely, into Home Assistant --- I don't regret my decision going in that direction.    The ISY99 has excellent HA support thanks to a few developers out there who a few months ago spent days and days of time building to the API's.   Now my insteaon and zwave networks continue to operate as one, using automations under HA, rather than the ISY.   And response time is as fast as if I were doing this all on the ISY.    I admit, MIchel was so ahead of his time, that it's only recently that the automations system in HA can rival the ISY today.

If you decide to do this, look at the ISY as your insteon management system platform and HA as your state machine and build around that, I think you'll be pleased in what you find.  Oh, and if you do want to keep Z-Wave managed by the ISY, HA will easily recognize the ISY Z-Wave devices correctly as well.

Brian

Since I upgraded from RC1 I keep getting this error message whenever I try to log into the ISY the second time (first launch is OK):

image.png.dff74f5d61b82d9a836c8e09f4662777.png

The same happens on another PC. I tried clearing java cache, re-installed java and ISY f/w to no avail.

How can I fix this?

2 hours ago, waffles said:

Since I upgraded from 5.1.0 I keep getting this error message whenever I try to log into the ISY the second time (first launch is OK):

image.png.dff74f5d61b82d9a836c8e09f4662777.png

The same happens on another PC. I tried clearing java cache, re-installed java and ISY f/w to no avail.

How can I fix this?

That sounds like some firewall problem that wakes up late to the party. ISY Launcher is a cloud based service app.

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

That sounds like some firewall problem that wakes up late to the party. ISY Launcher is a cloud based service app.

Hmm, I disabled the windows firewall, but no joy.

In the meantime I also found a post about this issue: 

Unfortunately, the  suggested steps from the Wiki don't seem to work for me here.  (These are the steps I followed whenever I upgraded ISY's f/w before.)

17 hours ago, rwkmann said:

Just updated to 5.2.0 and the 500 board.  Works except I can't add two Monoprice switches that worked with release 5.0.16C.  Anyone have this issue?

The monoprice plug ins that I have require you to hit the power button 3 times in rapid succession to exclude and then again for inclusion.  Don't know if you have the same, but maybe that will help.

24 minutes ago, madcodger said:

Can I return just one ISY to 5.0.16C and leave the other on 5.2.0, while still using the same admin console with both?

Yes you can. My Son's ISY is still on 5.0.16 and mine is on 5.2 , and I control both in same ISY launcher.

Furthermore when 5.1 did not work for me, I reverted back to 5.0.16 without any problem. However, you must have a 5.0.16 backup that you can restore after re-installing 5.0.16 .

1 hour ago, DennisC said:

If your admin console is sluggish you may need to increase your Java memory. Search the Wiki for instructions.

That instruction is also included in the first post of this thread with the installation instructions for 5.2.  Look for the section appropriately titled "Java runtime memory (when Admin Console is very slow to respond)"

So, I thought (based on the date) that I had a 500-series dongle, but don't. Ended up blowing up my config. I reverted back to the prior build (rev c) and reloaded my backup, as well as tried reloading the backup of my zwave. None of my ZW devices are back online (all show an exclamation point) and I'm not sure what to do next. Any thoughts?

I tried a "sync", but then all of them went away... 

23 hours ago, DennisC said:

If your admin console is sluggish you may need to increase your Java memory. Search the Wiki for instructions.

I appreciate the suggestion. Thank you for that. I am skeptical, though, that this is the issue. It would mean that the already generous setting that I've had (forever, and that works for everything else I do) is now insufficient? Hmmm.... 

I'd complain about this "upgrade", but it would do no good. 

6 hours ago, madcodger said:

I appreciate the suggestion. Thank you for that. I am skeptical, though, that this is the issue. It would mean that the already generous setting that I've had (forever, and that works for everything else I do) is now insufficient? Hmmm.... 

I'd complain about this "upgrade", but it would do no good. 

the setting does go away everytime Java updates.

When I upgraded to 5.2.0 and new 500 board and did a restore, all of my zwave devices were fine.  The next day I saw a lot more devices (just additional functions I think for existing ones) and my Kwikset door lock had changed names and has no lock/unlock function anymore.  Guess that happened during the overnight query?  Anyone else have a Kwikset convert door lock that will not work anymore?  Guess I will be going back to 5.0.16C for now, I have to have the door lock working.

4 hours ago, btreinders said:

When I upgraded to 5.2.0 and new 500 board and did a restore, all of my zwave devices were fine.  The next day I saw a lot more devices (just additional functions I think for existing ones) and my Kwikset door lock had changed names and has no lock/unlock function anymore.  Guess that happened during the overnight query?  Anyone else have a Kwikset convert door lock that will not work anymore?  Guess I will be going back to 5.0.16C for now, I have to have the door lock working.

Try doing a synchronize all before reverting back.

So, I checked my Java memory. Maxed out - highest possible allocation. Cache cleared again (I've lost count of the number of times). No real change.

I now have skads of additional z-wave "devices", for which I have no need, and that seem to do nothing of any practical use. They're all now moved to a giant folder. It's like having a piece of furniture with several drawers that hold the items you wish to use, and one colossal junk drawer that takes up more space than anything else.

52 minutes ago, madcodger said:

So, I checked my Java memory. Maxed out - highest possible allocation. Cache cleared again (I've lost count of the number of times). No real change.

I now have skads of additional z-wave "devices", for which I have no need, and that seem to do nothing of any practical use. They're all now moved to a giant folder. It's like having a piece of furniture with several drawers that hold the items you wish to use, and one colossal junk drawer that takes up more space than anything else.

Have you confirmed you are using the series 500 Zwave board?

Archived