Release 5.2.0 (RC3) - OUTDATED

Chris Jahn

I upgraded from 5.0.16C to 5.2.0

Everything went well, and all devices are working after Zwave Synchronize.

However, a Schlage BE599 door lock is showing a Write Changes pending icon in the device list. If I enable write changes, it will repeatedly attempt to write changes, trying about once every few minutes.

Synchronize, Update Neighbors and Repair Links did not clear the issue.

The only error I see in the Event Log is:

Fri 10/02/2020 12:05:50 : [ZW-TX-FAILED] enc=Ok uid=2.0 cmd=0x85.02 ASSOCIATION

It appears to be trying to set an association that can't be set?

Other than the Write Changes issue, the lock is working properly and appears to be communicating with the ISY.  Status updates correctly in the UI, I can write user codes to the lock, and unlock/lock from the Admin Console UI.

Full event log attached.
Zwave Dongle Version info:  6.81.00

image.png.c797f90090f84a09b4e0f7813cbe0547.png

image.png.58594ace4dce52a63e886d2f356b1e59.png

ISY-Events-Log.v5.2.0_10927-1_Fri 2020.10.02 12.06.42E.txt

3 hours ago, Craigb said:

I upgraded from 5.0.16C to 5.2.0

Everything went well, and all devices are working after Zwave Synchronize.

However, a Schlage BE599 door lock is showing a Write Changes pending icon in the device list. If I enable write changes, it will repeatedly attempt to write changes, trying about once every few minutes.

Synchronize, Update Neighbors and Repair Links did not clear the issue.

The only error I see in the Event Log is:

Fri 10/02/2020 12:05:50 : [ZW-TX-FAILED] enc=Ok uid=2.0 cmd=0x85.02 ASSOCIATION

It appears to be trying to set an association that can't be set?

Other than the Write Changes issue, the lock is working properly and appears to be communicating with the ISY.  Status updates correctly in the UI, I can write user codes to the lock, and unlock/lock from the Admin Console UI.

@Craigb, I am seeing the same issue with all of my Schlage locks.  They worked fine at first, then started having this issue.  @Chris Jahn and @Michel Kohanim are aware of this.  

Fri 10/02/2020 01:34:09 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] ----------------------------------------------
Fri 10/02/2020 01:34:15 PM : [ZW-TX-FAILED] enc=Ok uid=46.0 cmd=0x85.05 ASSOCIATION
Fri 10/02/2020 01:34:22 PM : [ZW-TX-FAILED] enc=Ok uid=46.0 cmd=0x85.05 ASSOCIATION
Fri 10/02/2020 01:34:30 PM : [ZW-TX-FAILED] enc=Ok uid=46.0 cmd=0x85.05 ASSOCIATION
Fri 10/02/2020 01:34:30 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] Node  46 - ZW 046 Den Door to Garage cannot retrieve association groups
Fri 10/02/2020 01:34:30 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] 
Fri 10/02/2020 01:34:30 PM : [ZW-SHOW         ] ----------------------------------------------

Just upgraded to 5.2.0 (RC3) from 5.0.16C and am in the process of updating all my devices and scenes for the my new home. I'm having an issue where the Insteon On Levels and Ramp Rates are being reset to 100% in 0.1s whenever a device is added to a new scene.

To recreate:

1. Set a device's On Level to 50%, Ramp Rate to 0.5s in the Admin Console.
  2. Create a new scene and add the device to it EDIT: as a controller.
  3. Go back to the device, Ramp Rate is back to 0.1s and On Level is back to 100%. Also tried querying the device to see if it was a bad value in the Admin Console, but same result. Confirmed at the physical device, the ramp rate and on level settings are lost.

Seems to apply to both KeypadLincs and SwitchLinc Dimmers.

Is anyone else seeing this?

@shbatm, yes, I confirm what you are seeing.  Adding a device as a CONTROLLER to a scene does indeed appear to reset the device to 100% On Level and 0.1 sec ramp rate. Nice find!!!  I missed this because I had been adding devices to scenes only as RESPONDER, and that does not appear to trigger this bug. 

@Chris Jahn, can you log this bug?  

And while we have @shbatm here, I want to add a note of recognition and thanks  for everything he has been doing to better integrate the ISY with the Home Assistant project.  I am using Home Assistant as my main user interface to the ISY, and it is just fantastic.  @shbatm has been one of the leaders in creating the links between the ISY and Home Assistant.  Bravo, sir!

Is 5.2.0 right for me?

Unlike a lot of you folks out there, my setup is relatively simple and I don't need to be on the bleeding edge of UDI development.  I am interested in getting onto a stable 5.x release so I can take advantage of support for newer Insteon modules.  If my reading and memory is correct, 5.x releases support the Motion Sensor II and the Alert modules that I've had waiting on the shelf for a while now.  Others here on the forum seem to think that despite not being official releases that there are reasonably stable 5.x releases and that intrigues me.

I'm running 4.7.3 with no know issues at the moment, and I'd like to stay in that sort of hands-off mode aside from doing infrequent upgrades.  I have about 50 Insteon devices, about as many scenes, and around 2 dozen programs.  I use the Portal for Google Home integration (love this feature BTW).  I don't have zigbee or Z-wave or any of the other crazy/fun stuff that others mention here in the forum.

So... to restate my question... Is 5.2.0 right for me or should I choose another 5.x release, knowing that I'll probably only upgrade about one each year?

Thanks for your constructive responses,

JT

23 minutes ago, JT76 said:

Is 5.2.0 right for me?

Unlike a lot of you folks out there, my setup is relatively simple and I don't need to be on the bleeding edge of UDI development.  I am interested in getting onto a stable 5.x release so I can take advantage of support for newer Insteon modules.  If my reading and memory is correct, 5.x releases support the Motion Sensor II and the Alert modules that I've had waiting on the shelf for a while now.  Others here on the forum seem to think that despite not being official releases that there are reasonably stable 5.x releases and that intrigues me.

I'm running 4.7.3 with no know issues at the moment, and I'd like to stay in that sort of hands-off mode aside from doing infrequent upgrades.  I have about 50 Insteon devices, about as many scenes, and around 2 dozen programs.  I use the Portal for Google Home integration (love this feature BTW).  I don't have zigbee or Z-wave or any of the other crazy/fun stuff that others mention here in the forum.

So... to restate my question... Is 5.2.0 right for me or should I choose another 5.x release, knowing that I'll probably only upgrade about one each year?

Thanks for your constructive responses,

JT

v5.2.0 is right for everybody. Beta does not mean unstable firmware. It means there may be some quirks in the device handlers for newer devices, like Zwave devices.

If you would like to expand into Ethernet/WiFi devices using polyglot, or use decimal variables, you will need V5. Make a good backup before and after and you can always return to v4. The upgrade is free.

Thanks larryllix.  I guess I've been waiting for the official, perfect 5.x release from UDI for no good reason.  If anyone has specific cautions on 5.2.0 as it relates to any Insteon modules please chime in.  Otherwise I guess I'll plan for an upgrade one of these nights.

I was reading about polyglot tonight and while it sounds interesting, I'm not up for the time commitment to get up to speed on this right now.

On a slightly related topic, I just went through the Smarthome/Insteon site and saw that they now have the  "Remote Control 2-Wire Dimmer Switch" SKU: 2474DWH.  I don't remember seeing that before but it appears to have been around for at least 3 years. (How did I miss that?  I could finally get that last switch in the Dining room converted.)  Anyway I don't see that device type in 4.7.3, but it's certainly in 5.2.0, right?

16 minutes ago, JT76 said:

Thanks larryllix.  I guess I've been waiting for the official, perfect 5.x release from UDI for no good reason.  If anyone has specific cautions on 5.2.0 as it relates to any Insteon modules please chime in.  Otherwise I guess I'll plan for an upgrade one of these nights.

I was reading about polyglot tonight and while it sounds interesting, I'm not up for the time commitment to get up to speed on this right now.

On a slightly related topic, I just went through the Smarthome/Insteon site and saw that they now have the  "Remote Control 2-Wire Dimmer Switch" SKU: 2474DWH.  I don't remember seeing that before but it appears to have been around for at least 3 years. (How did I miss that?  I could finally get that last switch in the Dining room converted.)  Anyway I don't see that device type in 4.7.3, but it's certainly in 5.2.0, right?

IIRC it only works correctly when people were still installing incandescent bulbs and IIRC it was released as one of the early Insteon modules about ten years ago.

1 hour ago, JT76 said:

The 2474 has been around since 2011 as far as I know. Its.not designed to work with LEDs however

7 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

The 2474 has been around since 2011 as far as I know. Its.not designed to work with LEDs however

I just got rid of my last 2 wire dimmer and tried every type of dimmable LED with it, they all flicker like mad. Thankfully I'm totally off incandescent now. I believe I bought mine back in 2010. 

1 hour ago, BONeil said:

I just got rid of my last 2 wire dimmer and tried every type of dimmable LED with it, they all flicker like mad. Thankfully I'm totally off incandescent now. I believe I bought mine back in 2010. 

Unfortunately a two wire dimmer should be easy to manufacture with a small loading resistor and a larger power supply capacitor inside the dimmer, but most manufacturers do not do it. I guess the cost of a $1 capacitor and a $0.10 resistor  is prohibitive in this money squeaking industry.

There are dummy loads that can be installed behind light fixtures on amazon. Search old posts here for links. They are more expensive than they should be though but with all the USULC etc.. approvals required these days?

On 10/5/2020 at 9:36 AM, shbatm said:

Just upgraded to 5.2.0 (RC3) from 5.0.16C and am in the process of updating all my devices and scenes for the my new home. I'm having an issue where the Insteon On Levels and Ramp Rates are being reset to 100% in 0.1s whenever a device is added to a new scene.

To recreate:

1. Set a device's On Level to 50%, Ramp Rate to 0.5s in the Admin Console.
  2. Create a new scene and add the device to it EDIT: as a controller.
  3. Go back to the device, Ramp Rate is back to 0.1s and On Level is back to 100%. Also tried querying the device to see if it was a bad value in the Admin Console, but same result. Confirmed at the physical device, the ramp rate and on level settings are lost.

Seems to apply to both KeypadLincs and SwitchLinc Dimmers.

Is anyone else seeing this?

@shbatm, I talked to  @Michel Kohanim and this behavior is actually intentional.  Since a device can only be controller for 1 scene, ISY does go ahead and change the device's parameters for Ramp Rate and On Level to be whatever that scene is.  So not a bug, but more the way ISY handles the controller for a scene.  I tried to come up with a plausible scenario where this might cause issues and could not.  

@blueman2 and @Michel Kohanim thanks for the feedback on this being intentional -- I guess I was thinking about it backwards -- I set the ramp rate and on levels for the device to what I wanted and when I decide to add it as a controller for a scene I was expecting the new scene to default to the device's OL/RR settings, not reset them to 0.1/100%.

This brings up a more general question that I've run into the past few days trying to re-link everything: Why does a new scene created in the ISY not default to the OL/RR of each device, but instead force everything to 0.1/100% and force the user to go reset it for all the controllers and the ISY scene? Is there a design rational behind this as well?

I know the "apply to all devices" was removed in 5.x to accommodate the different device types with node servers--but this coupled with having to reset the OL and RR for each device under each controller back to what I set the device up as originally has been a PITA for larger scenes (venting, sorry... admittedly this has been exacerbated by my current situation of re-installing and relinking 50+ Insteon devices in one shot for a new house--/rant). 

Thanks as always for the awesome work you guys do!

3 hours ago, shbatm said:

@blueman2 and @Michel Kohanim thanks for the feedback on this being intentional -- I guess I was thinking about it backwards -- I set the ramp rate and on levels for the device to what I wanted and when I decide to add it as a controller for a scene I was expecting the new scene to default to the device's OL/RR settings, not reset them to 0.1/100%.

This brings up a more general question that I've run into the past few days trying to re-link everything: Why does a new scene created in the ISY not default to the OL/RR of each device, but instead force everything to 0.1/100% and force the user to go reset it for all the controllers and the ISY scene? Is there a design rational behind this as well?

I know the "apply to all devices" was removed in 5.x to accommodate the different device types with node servers--but this coupled with having to reset the OL and RR for each device under each controller back to what I set the device up as originally has been a PITA for larger scenes (venting, sorry... admittedly this has been exacerbated by my current situation of re-installing and relinking 50+ Insteon devices in one shot for a new house--/rant). 

Thanks as always for the awesome work you guys do!

I agree, it seems backwards to me as well.

4 hours ago, shbatm said:

Why does a new scene created in the ISY not default to the OL/RR of each device, but instead force everything to 0.1/100% and force the user to go reset it for all the controllers and the ISY scene?

I could be missing something, or misunderstanding the explanation from blueman2, but I perceived the design is NOT necessarily to set everything to 0.1/100, but (rather) to set everything to the scene parameters, whatever they may be.  It just so happened, perhaps(?), that your scene levels were 0.1/100 when you added the new controllers.

This design choice, if I understand it, seems like a viable decision to me.

46 minutes ago, oberkc said:

I perceived the design is NOT necessarily to set everything to 0.1/100, but (rather) to set everything to the scene parameters, whatever they may be.  It just so happened, perhaps(?), that your scene levels were 0.1/100 when you added the new controllers.

There is no way to set the scene parameters for a specific device without adding the device to the scene, which jumps to a default of 0.1/100. To recreate: 1) Set the OL/RR of a device and 2) add it to a new scene by itself as a controller.

What you may be referring to is when you add a device as a controller to an existing scene, in which case, yes--the new controller will inherit the scene parameters for the other devices in the scene, but it will still overwrite it's own OL/RR to 0.1/100.

• 1 month later...

I've been using 5.2.0 successfully for a few months. However, last night, the ISY was unresponsive again, requiring a reboot. Third time in 24 hours. It's hard to get the admin console to connect, and when it does, I'm getting this error:

XML Parse Error: http://192.168...:80/desc

Ideas? Is the unit fried? Maybe my SD card?

Thank you for any help!!

Hmm, I swapped out the memory card, it booted, restored old backup. As usual, it takes a long time to process/finalize boot. When I came back to the PC, the admin console had lost connection. Killed it & ran again, and like before, it can't find the ISY. (isy finder) Refresh isn't finding it, but if this is like before, eventually something will pop up and then not work correctly.

5 minutes ago, robl said:

Hmm, I swapped out the memory card, it booted, restored old backup. As usual, it takes a long time to process/finalize boot. When I came back to the PC, the admin console had lost connection. Killed it & ran again, and like before, it can't find the ISY. (isy finder) Refresh isn't finding it, but if this is like before, eventually something will pop up and then not work correctly.

I would submit a ticket to udi

On 11/27/2020 at 2:04 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

I would submit a ticket to udi

Thanks, filed! In the meantime, I replaces the SD card, and restored a backup, and the isy unit is behaving again. That was probably it! I had been using a regular SD card (samsung evo), and placed an order for a samsung pro endurance card. Any suggestions?

Thanks @Michel Kohanim for the quick response & tip to apply the upgrade before the restore. (and not after)

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/29/2020 at 8:21 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

@Scyto, I am so very sorry you have been having so much trouble. Please note that we have a dedicated tech support team ready to help. Please submit a ticket.

With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michael, I am having no issue with the ISY.

Was just looking for a running / aggregate change log doc - that's all. No problem if there isn't one, it's a nice to have rather than scrounging over many posts.

• 2 weeks later...

Successfully upgraded to 5.2 with really no significant issues.  However a new node appeared on my Kwikset 916 deadbolt; showing as address_140 - Thermostat with a Heat/Cool state?  The parent node seems to be working correctly.

The nodeInfo shows as:

<nodeInfo>
<node flag="0" nodeDefId="UZW007D">
<address>ZW073_140</address>
<name>ZW 073 Thermostat</name>
<family>4</family>
<parent type="1">ZW073_1</parent>
<type>4.64.3.0</type>
<enabled>true</enabled>
<deviceClass>0</deviceClass>
<wattage>0</wattage>
<dcPeriod>0</dcPeriod>
<startDelay>0</startDelay>
<endDelay>0</endDelay>
<pnode>ZW073_1</pnode>
<rpnode>ZW073_1</rpnode>
<sgid>140</sgid>
<custom flags="12" val1="30"/>
<devtype>
<gen>4.64.3</gen>
<mfg>144.1.1</mfg>
<cat>140</cat>
<model>4</model>
</devtype>
<ELK_ID>H12</ELK_ID>
</node>
<properties>
<property id="CLIHCS" value="2" formatted="Cooling" uom="66"/>
</properties>
</nodeInfo>

Any ideas?  For now I am just ignoring it.

Archived