CFL & LED's

aLf

Hi guys!

With the Gov't threats of LED and CFL's being imposed on us in 2011, is there a good work around for dim-able bulbs that actually work and give off good light? So far I am NOT impressed with our options. What does everyone have planned? Michel, any input from UDI? If not my Menards will get cleaned out of my supply needs! :evil:

Regards,

aLf

Hi aLf,

I have seen extremely bright and luminous dimmable LEDs but only in the trade shows. I am sure by the time we are forced into that direction, we'll have plenty to choose from!

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi guys!

With the Gov't threats of LED and CFL's being imposed on us in 2011, is there a good work around for dim-able bulbs that actually work and give off good light? So far I am NOT impressed with our options. What does everyone have planned? Michel, any input from UDI? If not my Menards will get cleaned out of my supply needs! :evil:

Regards,

aLf

Recently, Smarthome started advertising Switchlinc kits that work with CFL's. I was surprised by this, because the CFL's I've installed were all noisy and caused all sorts of problems on my Insteon network.

I emailed them to comment on their kit. I thought it was somewhat deceptive to create a kit that purportedly worked with CFL's, and aired my sentiments. The reply I received stated that the company found that GE brand CFL's work well with Insteon.

Keeping an open mind, I tried replacing a set of noisy CFL's with the GE bulbs. I could "see" all the noise showing up on the nearest Lamplinc indicator. To my surprise, they actually were free of the noise that the old CFL's produced. I will see if this hold true over time, if the circuitry in the CFL bulbs remain "quiet" as they age. But for now, is is definitely an improvement over the old TCP and Phillips brand CFL's they replaced!

Around 3000K is pretty close to incadescent, or soft white, based on my visual assessment. 5000K is pretty stark. over that, and it gets to near daylight.

Regarding the elimination of incadescents, I understand that this is not a forgone conclusion. The new law requires certain efficiency, rather than banning specific types of bulbs. I also understand that there will be new-and-improved incadescents that will meet these new requirements.

Yes I have also seen improved incandescents are in the works and that the law only required a percentage of energy used reduction.

I have tried a EarthLED EVOLUX S bulb and was not impressed at all. Their claim of a 13 watt bulb being comparable [didn't say the same (clever marketing :wink:) ] as a 100 watt incandescent a big stretch of the imagination.

I actually found a 6500K CFL in my collection. :shock:

I tried buying some led's that advertised "warm". No way! I have yet to see an led that doesn't put out a most unpleasant bluish shade that is also very contrasty. They make people look gastly. I sure would love to see leds that have a nice warm soft white for 1/20th the electricity consumption and 50,000 hours or more life, but as of now, I don't think they exist.

So has anyone seen the new GE reveal CFL bulbs in person?

Is it the entire GE line of CFL's that smarthome is endorsing? Are there any other brands that are lower noise bulbs?

I haven't yet gotten that many CFL's, but I've been meaning to.

Most CFL's are marked "Not For Dimmer Circuits"

The ones that are dimmable have that feature on the box and most times on the lamp itself.

I have tried some ULA SDS-23W ones with a LampLinc V2 and found they dim fairly well. Not quite linear and like to be started at 100% and dimmed down; to a point and then just go off. Didn't check for noise on the power lines.

So has anyone seen the new GE reveal CFL bulbs in person?

Is it the entire GE line of CFL's that smarthome is endorsing? Are there any other brands that are lower noise bulbs?

I haven't yet gotten that many CFL's, but I've been meaning to.

THIS IS MY QUESTION TOO.

I was at wallmart looking at the GE CFL bulbs because of this post. There are many different types of GE CFL.

Lee

I got a couple different ones at Lowes the other night to try. I was quite surprised by the warmth of the 2700K bulbs. They are pretty close to incandescent. So far, no problems with noise on my lines. I tried GE and Lowes brand of bulbs as well.