Adding X10 code

yardman 49

I would suggest three refinements:

- In the right pane in addition to ON or OFF status, show the %ON status for Dimmed items (calculated where there is no feedback).

I had thought of this, and decided against trying to push for too much at one time :lol: . Since most X-10 devices, unlike Insteon devices, are not two-way and therefore don't support status requests, the On percentage would have to be predictive only, i.e. based on X-10 commands seen. If the UDI guys are up to it, I'm all for it!

- Given that all combinations cannot show in the left pane without scrolling that only named combinations appear. (The right pane already gives all combinations including the unnamed.)

That's a great idea. It should be selectable, as you need to show the undefined ones in order to define them.

- It would be good if an X-10 command could also be sent from the left pane by clicking on the item in the status column.

Another good idea. There is no reason that the context menu couldn't be available in both panes.

A further thought would be to have a timestamped log screen of all X-10 messages heard on the line, with a clear button (when the log gets too big). This helps to track what did or didn't happen.

This is something I really would like as well, though I hadn't considered a specific X-10 only log; I had been thinking of a general log which would be in standard text format, and not require Excel.

I though I would provide an 'Artists Concept' of what an X-10 tab might be like. The image below is a thumbnail, click on it for a full-size image. A description follows the image.

This is great; I think you have some understanding of GUI creation etiquette!

Thanks for the kind words, Mark. I thought I had really taken a liberty in referring to myself as an 'artist'--it likely took me more time to diddle that one image, than it will take the guys to implement the entire code base! :oops:

I like that you show a context menu instead of putting buttons across the bottom of the tab area.

You know, I never thought of the buttons! Yes, I like the context menu too, but if others wanted buttons, then both could be implemented.

Also I like that you properly colored white/lightblue every other row in the table to keep continuity with the other tables in the ISY (the program summary needs to have this done) which makes the table much easier to scan up and down for a device.

Yes, colour is important. [Reminder to self: open new topic to discuss user-selectable colour scheme (skin?) when User Interface forum is implemented.]

I have a suggestion; the table on the left needs a context menu too. One entry could be “Show Only Assigned Addressesâ€. This would shrink the table entries down to showing only devices you have assigned and hide all the blank rows.

Great idea! Also suggested by Joe. So we could have a context menu in both panes; the one on the left would also include display options.

Hello all,

Thanks so very much for your most invaluable feedback. We have a requirement for "Proper support of X10" which we'll be working on shortly. We'll surely take all this input into consideration while designing/implementing. This said, however, since we have not yet designed the solution we cannot really ascertain to what degree the solution will look like JAJ's Artistic Creation!

With kind regards,

Michel

This looks really good! Any chance something like this will get implemented?

Thanks for the kind comments, one and all!

I really hope Michel and/or Chris will chime in and let us know how much they would like to implement! :lol:

Hello all,

Thanks so very much for your most invaluable feedback. We have a requirement for "Proper support of X10" which we'll be working on shortly. We'll surely take all this input into consideration while designing/implementing. This said, however, since we have not yet designed the solution we cannot really ascertain to what degree the solution will look like JAJ's Artistic Creation!

With kind regards,

Michel

Yes, that's certainly understood. However it is implemented, we can be confident that your solution will be top notch, in keeping with the rest of ISY! 8)

As Michel mentioned, we are in the process of prioritizing, so I'm not sure when this will be implemented.

Having said that, this looks quite good and I imagine the final product will look a lot like this. Just Another Joe, I appreciate the effort, Thank you!

Have you considered how extended X10 commands would be represented here? I was thinking of having a sub-tab under X10 where you could enter extended commands and name them. The commands could then be used anywhere the standard commands are (eg. in the popup menu, in programs etc.). I guess they could even be scoped to specific addresses you don't see a huge list everytime for everything.

As Michel mentioned, we are in the process of prioritizing, so I'm not sure when this will be implemented.

Having said that, this looks quite good and I imagine the final product will look a lot like this. Just Another Joe, I appreciate the effort, Thank you!

You're more than welcome, and welcome back Chris. You guys deserved a holiday--hope it was a good one! 8)

Have you considered how extended X10 commands would be represented here? I was thinking of having a sub-tab under X10 where you could enter extended commands and name them. The commands could then be used anywhere the standard commands are (eg. in the popup menu, in programs etc.). I guess they could even be scoped to specific addresses you don't see a huge list everytime for everything.

Sorry I hadn't given extended commands much though, but I like your idea, especially this part, "I guess they could even be scoped to specific addresses you don't see a huge list everytime for everything."

Unfortunately, since most X-10 devices are not two-way, ISY can not automatically determine a device's capabilities. It therefore falls to the user to provide the requisite information.

Perhaps each X-10 device defined by the user could have a Properties page (reached from the context menu and/or by a Properties button) which, besides Controller/Responder, would have a checkbox for each extended command, for the user to indicate which apply to the device.

The names for the checkboxes could be the custom names the user provided in your sub-tab. Perhaps the user could also define custom named (shown in the Type column) classes of devices with preset capabilities. And, the context menu would list only the commands defined for the selected device.

Archived