Routines Not Firing Though Motion is Detected

grtaylor

I'm using ISY Optimized for SmartHome V3, have set up ISY Portal, created a state variable and it shows up in Alexa app as a motion device. If I am viewing the Devices page in the Alexa App (iOS) and set the variable, I see Motion Detected. ISY waits 31 secs before resetting the variable. 

I then created a routine based on motion being detected and set the action as turning a light on using the HomeSeer skill. 

If I test the routine, works perfectly. HomeSeer gets the action. But the routine isn't triggered when ISY sets the motion variable.

Any pointers? I've read the FAQ and recreated the routine, but apart from disabling then re-enabling the skill (and which, ISY or HomeSeer?) I can't see what else I can do.  

If the point it to have motion detector in the ISY trigger an event in Homeseer why not use the ISYInsteon plugin for HomeSeer?  Then it's local and no Alexa/Cloud involved.

Set variable triggers in Alexa.. check

Alexa routine passes to HS...check

ISY sets motion variable.. fail.  Looks likes your program to set the variable isn't working correctly?

Actually this is a test. The end flow will be HomeSeer to set a variable in ISY, slow I can trigger a routine to control a device that I can only control with Alexa. I haven’t found a way to create virtual devices in Alexa using HomeSeer. 

the ISY program works perfectly. If i am in the Alexa app and the program sets the variable Alexa sees the motion. 

If I follow, you are talking about an Alexa routine (not ISY program). So state variable shouldn’t matter, but should still work. Stupid question, the routine is enabled, right?

I stand corrected:

"In addition to ISY nodes and ELK zones, you can also expose a state variable as a motion sensor."

Edited by gzahar

The routine is enabled. 

an ISY program sets a state variable which Alexa sees as a motion device. 
the Alexa routine is set to trigger when the motion device is activated. But it does not. But if I observe the motion device itself in Alexa, it gets set just fine. 

Edited by grtaylor

No change. It seems the only time Alexa recognizes the motion sensor as 'triggered' is when I have the app open at the device page. That shows as motion detected (it's actually an Elk motion, connected to ISY, setting a variable doing all this). 

This seems simple - but Alexa just isn't triggering. When motion is detected - turn on a light.  

I have the same problem. Sent emails to UD, they said it was Amazon problem, took the dive and called  Amazon, they walked me through the same process on the phone several times and said they were stumped. They said they would have a tech call me, I didn't hold my breath. lol, they never called me back. But anyway, I can see the variable change in ISY and in Alexa app but the attached routine does not respond. I can control devices through the portal and I can play the routine from the app. ?‍♀️ I have read that some people have had luck starting a new Amazon account, but UGH... Good luck though!! 

6 hours ago, grtaylor said:

Good to know it's not just me, but not that they seem to care so little. Is there any diff between creating the device as a motion or a contact sensor I wonder? 

I had a lot of problems with this a few years back.

Now I have had problems and been caught several times again with deleting all devices before discovering, in Alexa. That removes all triggers from Alexa Routines every time, but when you rebuild them all again they are all disabled. The switch at the top of every routine shows the status of the Enable/Disable but it appears like a switch to disable them. This  shows the current status of each Routine, not the action.. Make sure it reads Enabled.

Edited by larryllix

Different Skill in play, but my son uses an Insteon Hub rather than an ISY at his house.   I don't remember the exact issue he was having but it was a bit weird and partial.  I suggested disabling the skill and logging back in which he did and it didn't help.  The next day he got a callback from Insteon Support... they told him to disable skill from the Alexa app...  then switch to a computer and full browser and log into the Alexa web interface at https://alexa.amazon.com and re-enable the skill from there.  That in fact solved the issue.   (he doesn't have the same technical mind I do, so he didn't as why that worked, I wish I knew what the difference was tho...)

4 minutes ago, grtaylor said:

I checked the status of the routine, disabled and re-enabled the skill, and even tried using a contact versus a motion sensor. No changes. 

Not the skill... enable the routine inside each routine. They like to turn themselves off when something doesn't jive.

49 minutes ago, grtaylor said:

I checked the status of the routine, disabled and re-enabled the skill, and even tried using a contact versus a motion sensor. No changes. 

I'm not sure if you caught in my post: disable the skill using the app, then re-enable the skill using the Alexa web interface and not the app.  For some unknown reason that caused something different to happen than when my son disabled then re-enabled using the app only.

*I have disabled and re-enabled the skill

*Disabled and enabled the routine

*Deleted and Recreated the routine

*deleted and re-created the Alexa portal links to the device 

*disabled and re-enabled the to the ISY portal

Note: I haven't tried to disable the routine from the app and and re-enable it through the web interface yet. (I will try it) sounds clunky, but hey I'll sell my first born to get it to work. LOL JK

I'll look into it again soon. 

Let us know if you have any luck, I'll do the same. . 

Hi Michel,

The "Variable State" is changing from 0 to 1 when motion is detected in the admin console as I configured in the program. 

*Both the device and "state variable" have been configured into the portal

*New devices where found in Alexa app and added.

*The var and device both indicate in the app and admin console when motion is detected and not detected properly.

*The "Routines" are enabled.

*Please note: I can control devices with voice commands.

*Please note: I can play back Alexa routines with the app and though voice commands. 

*I kept the routines to "Anytime" for testing purposes (less to worry about). 

*Enabled and disabled the routines, deleted everything and put it back in the portal, every combination, even down to factory resetting the ISY and PLM. 

One of the last suggestions in the thread was to disable the routine from the app and re-enable it from a PC ?... I downloaded the Alexa app to my PC but, like the fire TV,  I cant access the motion device or state variable from PC and it doesn't give me the option to get to my routines (unless I've overlooked it ?‍♀️).. UD told me 6 months ago it was an Amazon issue. 

And I think ultimately, if you are receiving both the state var change, in addition to the actual device state change in the Alexa app, then everything on the ISY side and portal is working, soooo.... it's really just a matter of finding the right combination of kicks and punches to the Amazon server to get it started... ? 

Sorry Michel, I'm new to the forum and don't know how to tag you back in the responses. 

Edited by BOden
sounded too jaded lol

Sadly, I don't think either apply. I'm triggering the variable/motion no more than once a minute (it's an Elk motion sensor in this case actually tripping, and I think they have a built in 30-60 sec reset period). 

The routine is pretty darn simple - and if I hit 'Play Routine' it works perfectly. The action (turn on a light using ISY) works immediately. 

• Like 1