Insteon being discontinued?

jimg

On 9/30/2021 at 7:59 AM, larryllix said:

Maybe the fake gas shortage will end and the price....? nope, not that one either.

:)

What gas shortage?  Inflation adjusted price, gas is about as cheap and plentiful now as it has ever been in the history of gasoline.

Seeing that I absolutely abhor the taste of coffee, I have absolutely no interest in the price of coffee beans.  

11 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I feel your pain. I had to wait a year for my GV80

These guys have been waiting literally years for the product to materialize.

https://www.atmoshome.com/

I found them more than a year ago when looking around for some type of Sonos wall controller (finally went with brilliant.tech ).  Even back then there were lots of promises, but no product.  There are comments on Reddit that go back at least 3 years.

1 minute ago, carealtor said:

I found them more than a year ago when looking around for some type of Sonos wall controller (finally went with brilliant.tech ).  Even back then there were lots of promises, but no product.  There are comments on Reddit that go back at least 3 years.

I remember them. I had forgotten all about them until you just posted

I don’t recall was this product touted before Amazon / Google came on the scene?? Because today everything in that promo video can be done.

For me the first company that offers a standard sized switch that offers touch OLED interface to connect to everything in my HA - I’m in!

Thus far nothing has come to market that allows this.
2 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Guess a whole lot of companies are going out of business then.

Not everybody who is late is going out of business but everybody who is going out of business is likely going to be late. And we have already established that Smarthome is going out of business so just saying I should have seen it coming.

8 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

Not everybody who is late is going out of business but everybody who is going out of business is likely going to be late. And we have already established that Smarthome is going out of business so just saying I should have seen it coming.

How have you established they're going out of business?

Just because their business plan no longer fits your narrative, doesn't mean they are shutting down. 

6 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

How have you established they're going out of business?

Just because their business plan no longer fits your narrative, doesn't mean they are shutting down. 

I don't have a narrative. Just observations that lead to an undeniable conclusion. I wish I was wrong but unfortunately that never happens.

57 minutes ago, Teken said:

I don’t recall was this product touted before Amazon / Google came on the scene?? Because today everything in that promo video can be done.

For me the first company that offers a standard sized switch that offers touch OLED interface to connect to everything in my HA - I’m in! emoji106.png

Thus far nothing has come to market that allows this.

I think Orro is the closest to that. https://getorro.com/

I actually have one that I bought to check out.  The deal breaker for me was having to go through SmartThings in order to get Ring doorbell to integrate.  The screen is very small too.  I found it very curious that they didn't utilize the available space to the edge for the screen.

11 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

I don't have a narrative. Just observations that lead to an undeniable conclusion. I wish I was wrong but unfortunately that never happens.

I guess if you say it long enough eventually you may be right one day. But then again, going by your "observations" I can name quite a few companies who are going out of business pretty soon

I think Orro is the closest to that. https://getorro.com/
I actually have one that I bought to check out.  The deal breaker for me was having to go through SmartThings in order to get Ring doorbell to integrate.  The screen is very small too.  I found it very curious that they didn't utilize the available space to the edge for the screen.

Let me check this thing out.

Have you done a review of this product anywhere? Would you mind offering one in a new thread if not and provide any insight about this product.

Key things for me is what local control is available. Open API and if so those reference links. Which protocol are supported whether Z-Wave, ZigBee, WiFi, POE, BLE, Power Line etc.

Viewing angle, power consumption, screen response, camera, speakers? Can the screen be customized to display other things like weather, security, energy?

Thanks!
46 minutes ago, Teken said:

emoji50.png Let me check this thing out.

Have you done a review of this product anywhere? Would you mind offering one in a new thread if not and provide any insight about this product.

Key things for me is what local control is available. Open API and if so those reference links. Which protocol are supported whether Z-Wave, ZigBee, WiFi, POE, BLE, Power Line etc.

Viewing angle, power consumption, screen response, camera, speakers? Can the screen be customized to display other things like weather, security, energy?

Thanks! emoji106.png

Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to answer a lot of your questions.  It is currently in a box in the garage and I have no plans to hook it up again.

I can tell you that Orro did very recently start offering an API.  I know nothing more about it.  It might even still only be available in beta to select users.

The screens are somewhat customizable within the confines of the products that it works with.  Beyond that, no.

Archived