Insteon being discontinued?

jimg

I hate to be pointing out what may be obvious, but if it's the "switch pad" that's the concern, Smarthome appears to still have the 6 key keypadlinc in stock, and at a price that beats what used 2477Ds are selling for. Perhaps not everyone knows this, but the only difference between the 6 and 8 key devices is the interchangeable keypads. Also apparently in stock is the 8 key pad (2401WH8) for $5.99, which, combined with the 2334-233 will give you a replacement for what you appear to have.

16 hours ago, hart2hart said:

Is the keypadlinc bad or the in line wall dimmer that is hidden? Unless I’m not understanding, an inline dimmer is essentially a wall dimmer without the paddle. You can remove the paddle if space required.

Not saying you’ll find wall dimmers either but just raises the odds. Again, sorry if I’m not understanding.

No worries hart2hart...It's the In-LineLinc dimmer modules that are hidden that I'm concerned with. I have a spare 8 button and a couple of single paddle dimmer switches. Have you ever tried using a dimmer switch as a module? I am such a noob where these things are concerned.

The original 2475S relay style In Line Link. Was a wall switch with the paddle assembly removed. A few pieces of plastic over the paddle access holes and a small wooden stick to push on the tact switches.

I would think the dimmer model would be similar.

No worries hart2hart...It's the In-LineLinc dimmer modules that are hidden that I'm concerned with. I have a spare 8 button and a couple of single paddle dimmer switches. Have you ever tried using a dimmer switch as a module? I am such a noob where these things are concerned.

They are essentially the same. Based on place it needs to fit, the paddle can be removed. The only real difference is the inline module does not have a paddle for local control. It must be controlled via a scene or an controller like isy.

I don’t know if ISY replace device will work. You may have to add new switch into scene and remove inline dimmer.

I just received this link referencing the new Nokia line of devices being developed by Smarthome. They don't appear to address interoperability with Insteon, but merely state that they utilize the same dual-band schema. I guess time will tell, but if not it is a real lost opportunity to capitalize on a considerable install base.

https://www.techhive.com/article/579559/nokia-smart-lighting-is-based-on-insteon.html/amp

I did find this statement in the Nokia FAQ section:

"At launch the Nokia Smart Lighting app will support only Nokia Smart Lighting devices. We plan to also support some of the most popular Insteon products in the future. Visit nokia.smartlabsinc.com and sign up for email updates to get the latest news."

Perhaps this is good news? 

yes - i read all the posts - except for some of the tesla stuff - and probably the 'single wire' stuff

53 pages and NO ONE mentions the 'paddle problem' or that the early insteon devices were not dual band - lived through all of it including 2 generations of their x10 craplincs (tm of slooplinc)

all the windows phones i had were htc (told you i read the posts)

not real sure why a router would need to be beefed up for wifi - unless maybe the control is cloud based - and if you have wifi9000 - its not gonna help if the devices don't support it

ud saved insteon - without the isy - even the isy26 - setup would be impossible for any decent sized setup - for the veterans of the early insteon days, i tried to set up my infamous 'dusk' scene manually - that was a mess

since a certain ud influencer (snicker) hinted he was considering lutron, i think ima start looking at a homeworks qsx setup - hopefully the ud efforts at integration with lutron will be fruitful

i wonder if - since nokia has no plm yet - if it would be possible - radio from controller to a device - and the device send out the powerline signal - i mean - they do interface to the powerline and i think they repeat the signal...  i'm sure the plm does more than powerline interface - like it has all the link stuff - but still...

I think the market that Insteon was/is?, which is an advanced DIYer, is being taken over by Z-Wave. It is unfortunate because the build, quality, and feel of an Insteon switch is unmatched in its price range. Then there is the low-end market where people just run wifi switches without a hub and don't really care about whole house solutions. Both of these things mean less market for Insteon buyers.

Honestly, Insteon functionality and integration early on was a mess, and I was about to throw in the towel years ago but getting an ISY fixed it. The ISY enabled me to do things that were not possible with smartlabs/smarthome controllers and any other software at the time. One example of frustration I had, before getting ISY, is to have two switchlinc dimmers in a scene have LEDs in sync - I could not do it no matter what I tried.

Someone tell me a good Z-Wave paddle switch that feels as good as an Insteon switchlinc. I have not tried many but the Jasco ones just do not have that feel when using.

I have been buying a few Insteon on Ebay to replace some failed switches and have spares, but I noticed reselling of used prices has doubled/tripled in the past month!

10 hours ago, Tim McDermott said:

I just received this link referencing the new Nokia line of devices being developed by Smarthome. They don't appear to address interoperability with Insteon, but merely state that they utilize the same dual-band schema. I guess time will tell, but if not it is a real lost opportunity to capitalize on a considerable install base.

https://www.techhive.com/article/579559/nokia-smart-lighting-is-based-on-insteon.html/amp

It is just sad to see such a good technology go down the tubes. This is just "too little, too late" and new  lack-luster brand name isn't likely to save them. Now they will have Insteon branding and also Nokia branding, forcing SH to manufacture even more devices,with both brands having less than complete system selections, offering less device selection. Duh!

SH just plain waited so long that Zwave, Zigbee and so many more protocols will have taken over the bulk of the market. Now it is too little, too late.  **sigh**

Some investment company. It just needs more than one dead brain.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure if insteon is being discontinued,  but it seems they went offline yesterday.. I can't connect my hub, thier websites are unavailable,  and none of the phones are reachable.  Does anyone know what's going on? 

EDIT: @JB53 confirming your experience.

My Insteon 2245 Hub stopped working.  

I can't buy a replacement - it's discontinued or sold out EVERYWHERE.  

And today it seems that the reset password function is similarly inaccessible. 

I looked for advice, but... it seems the forums on Insteon.com and smarthome.com don't load.  ("site not found")  

The last email I got from Insteon was about a service outage in Feb '22.

I've spent thousands of $ on devices compatible with that hub and now none of them work.  

Out of sheer frustration I am now looking at their corporate office on Street view... maybe I will spot someone with information. 

Has Insteon ghosted us?? What gives?  

On 10/1/2021 at 1:57 PM, lilyoyo1 said:

How have you established they're going out of business?

Just because their business plan no longer fits your narrative, doesn't mean they are shutting down. 

On 10/1/2021 at 2:06 PM, upstatemike said:

I don't have a narrative. Just observations that lead to an undeniable conclusion. I wish I was wrong but unfortunately that never happens.

At least thanks to this thread everybody had plenty of notice and could prepare for the current situation. Better than getting blindsided without any sign it was coming.

6 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

At least thanks to this thread everybody had plenty of notice and could prepare for the current situation. Better than getting blindsided without any sign it was coming.

I've been waiting for this exact post to appear!  lol 

.... you were nicer than I expected tho.... ?

37 minutes ago, MrBill said:

I've been waiting for this exact post to appear!  lol 

.... you were nicer than I expected tho.... ?

Ive been waiting too. I'm surprised it took this long.

I'm glad it finally happened though so we can all move on from the speculation

2 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Ive been waiting too. I'm surprised it took this long.

I'm glad it finally happened though so we can all move on from the speculation

I'll try to be positive for a moment and say until someone indicates the Nokia site goes off line. I really hope this doesn't apply to the Nokia line of hardware. It really makes no sense to invest all the time, R&D, and certification just to pull the plug at the last minute.

Than again, we are talking about a company run and operated by a complete imbecile. ?

Just now, Teken said:

I'll try to be positive for a moment and say until someone indicates the Nokia site goes off line. I really hope this doesn't apply to the Nokia line of hardware. It really makes no sense to invest all the time, R&D, and certification just to pull the plug at the last minute.

Than again, we are talking about a company run and operated by a complete imbecile. ?

I'll check to see if the app continues to connect every few days

2 minutes ago, Teken said:

They knew what they were doing. The one man "investment company" was paid to shut the place down as gently as possible. Stock was being sold off since the "take-over" of the company.

The only thing the users were scammed on was the hiding of the agenda.

My 4 spare PLMs may come in handy. I may do an IPO for shares in them. :):)

Archived