Java

jwagner010

I shudder to ask the question and I pretty much know what the answer will be 'it will be available when its released', but I will ask anyway !!

I access the Admin Console through my employer laptop (windows 10) and have done so successfully for over 10 years.  Unfortunately, my employer has decided that it will no longer support Java and is actively removing it from all machines across the company.  They have their reasons with the changes to the way Oracle now licenses Java to large enterprises.  I cannot fight city hall on  that one, is what it is.

My predicament is I don't have a personal laptop.  

So to my question.  I hear that UDI is working on a non Java based Admin Console interface.  I will not ask exactly when it is likely to launch, but would ask if it is highly likely to launch in 2021 even if in December?  I can probably limp along to the end of the year, and hope no changes to programs or adding / removing devices is needed.  Just trying to gauge the general timing here as buying a laptop/desktop is an expensive proposition for me to access a user interface as the ISY Admin Console is the only thing I cannot do from my employer provided laptop so I would really just be buying a laptop to access the ISY (ps I also have a POLISY)

Long question but wanted to add some color as I know UDI is a small shop and I am sure going as quickly as possible.

38 minutes ago, jwagner010 said:

I shudder to ask the question and I pretty much know what the answer will be 'it will be available when its released', but I will ask anyway !!

I access the Admin Console through my employer laptop (windows 10) and have done so successfully for over 10 years.  Unfortunately, my employer has decided that it will no longer support Java and is actively removing it from all machines across the company.  They have their reasons with the changes to the way Oracle now licenses Java to large enterprises.  I cannot fight city hall on  that one, is what it is.

My predicament is I don't have a personal laptop.  

So to my question.  I hear that UDI is working on a non Java based Admin Console interface.  I will not ask exactly when it is likely to launch, but would ask if it is highly likely to launch in 2021 even if in December?  I can probably limp along to the end of the year, and hope no changes to programs or adding / removing devices is needed.  Just trying to gauge the general timing here as buying a laptop/desktop is an expensive proposition for me to access a user interface as the ISY Admin Console is the only thing I cannot do from my employer provided laptop so I would really just be buying a laptop to access the ISY (ps I also have a POLISY)

Long question but wanted to add some color as I know UDI is a small shop and I am sure going as quickly as possible.

Even if that was the timeline, I highly doubt UDI would say so nor would I trust it if they did. 

That's not to say they can't be trusted. Just in the world of coding and programming, I've found delays to be expected regardless of best intentions. 

I would find a cheap laptop from bestbuy returns (they often have them for 300-400 bucks)

49 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Even if that was the timeline, I highly doubt UDI would say so nor would I trust it if they did. 

That's not to say they can't be trusted. Just in the world of coding and programming, I've found delays to be expected regardless of best intentions. 

I would find a cheap laptop from bestbuy returns (they often have them for 300-400 bucks)

Appreciate the counsel.  Figured I would need to look for a cheap laptop, kind of sucks but I cannot complain I guess, the ISY has been great value for money over a decade.  The good news for everyone else is, knowing my luck, as soon as I buy the laptop the non Java version will be released the next day !!!!!!! :) 

Archived