Does alternately setting "Ignore" and "Insteon" in a scene based on time of day eat up EPROM longevity?

Oakland Jeff

Like many I have a motion sensor that I only want to work during certain hours. I currently use a program that decides whether to turn on the light or not, but I'd love to reduce the small lag that this requires before the light triggers. I've just found examples of people using a time of day program that alters the scene between the light being an "Ignore" or an "Insteon" setting. This would be great, but I seem to recall that this writes to the device EPROM and over time "uses it up" such that it can no longer be written to.

So, two part question:
1) Does this new (to me anyway) 5.x "Ignore" setting strategy somehow avoid writing to the EPROM?
2) Even if still writes to EPROM, what's the current thinking about EPROM degradation over time as a result of twice daily writes?

Thanks,
Jeff

2 hours ago, Oakland Jeff said:

Like many I have a motion sensor that I only want to work during certain hours. I currently use a program that decides whether to turn on the light or not, but I'd love to reduce the small lag that this requires before the light triggers. I've just found examples of people using a time of day program that alters the scene between the light being an "Ignore" or an "Insteon" setting. This would be great, but I seem to recall that this writes to the device EPROM and over time "uses it up" such that it can no longer be written to.

So, two part question:
1) Does this new (to me anyway) 5.x "Ignore" setting strategy somehow avoid writing to the EPROM?
2) Even if still writes to EPROM, what's the current thinking about EPROM degradation over time as a result of twice daily writes?

Thanks,
Jeff

Highly unlikely to cause any problems. Many people on here are (and have been) constantly writing new links for years without issue

Archived