Detached Load control on KPL

MrBill

I was just looking thru Home Assistant core issues on github and ran across an Insteon feature that is apparently possible with 8-button keypads.  (Insteon had nothing to do with what I was looking for, this was just the newest issue and had insteon in the title so I read it.) 

I know we've all wished for a detached load feature before, but I never knew Insteon/Smartlabs actually implemented it.  Anyone seen documentation?   I'm certain it's likely not implemented within ISY, especially for a 9th button, but it would be interesting if we could just detach the load an leave it turned on. 

Source (Bolding by me) 

When importing my Insteon System into HA via the integration i noticed that my recent KPL devices aren't getting an entity for the detached load. So newer KPL's can be configured so the load is not controlled by the keypad. When the KPL is in Detached load there should be an extra entity so on a 8 button KPL there should be 9. I have this option programed into my Newer KPL's for multiple reasons.

I was just looking thru Home Assistant core issues on github and ran across an Insteon feature that is apparently possible with 8-button keypads.  (Insteon had nothing to do with what I was looking for, this was just the newest issue and had insteon in the title so I read it.) 
I know we've all wished for a detached load feature before, but I never knew Insteon/Smartlabs actually implemented it.  Anyone seen documentation?   I'm certain it's likely not implemented within ISY, especially for a 9th button, but it would be interesting if we could just detach the load an leave it turned on. 
Source (Bolding by me) 
When importing my Insteon System into HA via the integration i noticed that my recent KPL devices aren't getting an entity for the detached load. So newer KPL's can be configured so the load is not controlled by the keypad. When the KPL is in Detached load there should be an extra entity so on a 8 button KPL there should be 9. I have this option programed into my Newer KPL's for multiple reasons.

I’m not sure if the person is actually talking about older / existing KPL’s that incorporate this software feature. But, for the benefit of others this (Detached Load) was actually a Beta Hardware that for whatever reason Smartlabs did not go into production with.

A few of the Beta testers have these units in the field.

That project came and went like many others with zero feedback.
1 hour ago, Teken said:

I’m not sure if the person is actually talking about older / existing KPL’s that incorporate this software feature. But, for the benefit of others this (Detached Load) was actually a Beta Hardware that for whatever reason Smartlabs did not go into production with.

A few of the Beta testers have these units in the field.

That project came and went like many others with zero feedback.

I think it seems to be more of a lesser documented or undocumented feature.   (that's the link with the clearest instructions, however I've found it talked about in several other locations as well).

I've honestly always wished this existed, and more so now--I've rewired a couple locations for Hue bulbs wanting to be always powered, which in that case really suffices since there's no additional load that needs to be switched at that point.  

1 hour ago, Teken said:

When I had Insteon KPL's I tested this "feature" with HomeSeer.  It does exist and it does work.  It's also documented in the Insteon developer documentation.  Not many ever implemented the feature.

Sorry if I was unclear the ability to detach a load on a KPL does exist. I should have stated that Smartlabs brought it back in another iteration to operate easier while implementing electrical safety.

Again, I’m unsure why it wasn’t discussed more in the Beta group at that time. It just appeared one day than *Poof* it was gone in the next.

Just sh^t communications from start to finish!

That does sound like a typical Smarthome thing.

Sounds like things have not changed much, from when I was a member of the original Developers Group. Had to buy the privilege of membership. Along with an NDA for the documentation and a small set of modules to develop with. 

This was in the PLC not PLM days. Where you could assemble some code, with SALadIDE and DSM308. Download it into the PLC and it could run disconnected from the computer.

Only plus was Insteon was in its infancy and we actually got to interact with  Insteon Engineers. That one day just disappeared and all the documentation [though flawed] went public domain for awhile before just disappearing again.

Isn't that normal for SmartHome?

Truth be told way back in the day there were several great people at Smartlabs. All they wanted to do was to help expand the technology while also supporting the customer base.

Unfortunately, many of them have left or were fired by Joe & Co! Those who are left today keep their head down while paddling in the same direction hoping for a new wave!

At this point it makes little sense giving a cup of water to a drowning man!
13 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

Being that it's supported in multiple other systems, it can't be that obscure. Multiple folks had to hear about it along with gaining access to add to their systems. 

I'm surprised that I'd hadn't know of it before yesterday, but it appears documented in a developer link and in use by a number of other Insteon supporting systems.  It really isn't of great use to me anymore, I have no more loads to add and for the few things I've converted to Hue moving the wire is no big deal.    I'm just surprised that I've never know of this before.

5 hours ago, MrBill said:

I'm surprised that I'd hadn't know of it before yesterday, but it appears documented in a developer link and in use by a number of other Insteon supporting systems.  It really isn't of great use to me anymore, I have no more loads to add and for the few things I've converted to Hue moving the wire is no big deal.    I'm just surprised that I've never know of this before.

It's a feature that's used by so few and so rarely most don't even think about it being something they really need.

I remember when they first came out with the beta units for it and forgot about it afterwards. Didn't even realize the feature made it to production units since it wasn't something I used. With the way things are, I barely have a need for all the buttons on keypads now. I'll end up using their 4 button kpls in my new house once they release that one because the 6 is too much

Archived