Logitech will no longer manufacture Harmony remotes

DaveStLou

18 minutes ago, DaveStLou said:

Very interesting. Since I have 4 working Harmony Hubs, probably not for me.

Apparently it's hub-less itself, and can utilize your existing hubs if you have them.    It comes down to whether you like the look and feel better than logitechs handheld portion. 

53 minutes ago, MrBill said:

Apparently it's hub-less itself, and can utilize your existing hubs if you have them.    It comes down to whether you like the look and feel better than logitechs handheld portion. 

I like it though I'd take a wait and see approach. I still remember the Savant consumer remote fiasco fondly

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Cool gadget for those that like those remote styles yet.

With all the promised cool gadget potential there ,I can't believe they missed the induction charger all phones are getting moved too. So much easier and doen't need a connector to break/wear out.

Deliveries are showing July 2022, so won't get much feedback for awhile.

Charging looks to be similar to the Harmony Elites, so shouldn't be any issues with power connector breaking.  My biggest issue is getting people to put the remote back on the charger!

Damn near identical to my harmony elite.  If Logitech is bailing, and if someone else thinks this is still a viable market (ie Yio), I have to wonder why Logitech didn't sell the Harmony line.  It would seem that Logitech is just dumping the line for nothing, no matter what they would sell it for, that would be more than zero.

5 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

Damn near identical to my harmony elite.  If Logitech is bailing, and if someone else thinks this is still a viable market (ie Yio), I have to wonder why Logitech didn't sell the Harmony line.  It would seem that Logitech is just dumping the line for nothing, no matter what they would sell it for, that would be more than zero.

Couldn't agree more.  So far, it doesn't seem Logitech cares to listen.  It has become obvious to me that niche products need to be produced by niche companies.  A niche company's profits on a product is a large company's tiny fraction of profit/loss.  Harmony was a niche company and Logitech bought it and ultimately gave it up because it represented only a tiny fraction of their revenue.  Harmony could thrive again on it's own, IMHO.

1 hour ago, carealtor said:

Couldn't agree more.  So far, it doesn't seem Logitech cares to listen.  It has become obvious to me that niche products need to be produced by niche companies.  A niche company's profits on a product is a large company's tiny fraction of profit/loss.  Harmony was a niche company and Logitech bought it and ultimately gave it up because it represented only a tiny fraction of their revenue.  Harmony could thrive again on it's own, IMHO.

My only other thought on the matter is, perhaps, no one is willing to pay for the Logitech brand because of the cost of taking care of the current customers, from whom, they have had no income and may never have income.  Or perhaps Logitech is concerned that it will reflect poorly on them if the new company fails to properly care for the customers who will then blame Logitech.

20 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

My only other thought on the matter is, perhaps, no one is willing to pay for the Logitech brand because of the cost of taking care of the current customers, from whom, they have had no income and may never have income.  Or perhaps Logitech is concerned that it will reflect poorly on them if the new company fails to properly care for the customers who will then blame Logitech.

Killed any competition.

• 2 weeks later...

I have harmony hubs for each tv connected to fire tv / cubes and using harmony remotes to control the fire tv ui via bluetooth. The equipment control on the fire tvs is off and solely controlled with harmony. I'm using the Polisy nodeserver to connect to ISY. The nodeserver works well; the harmony remote controlling the fire tv UI and my AV boxes is another story - it's a hit or miss, sometimes the volume with a normal press escapes to max or min, same with the fire tv ui. When it works it does so well but it's so unpredictable.

Has anyone experienced this or similar behavior? 

Ideally, I would love to get rid of the harmony remotes and use the small fire tv remotes to control my AV for each tv setup. Alexa is so restrictive, and I would need to figure out a way to get the status of each tv so I can communicate with ISY and in turn my kepads and so on. I'm also tried to utilize Harmony hubs in my setup in the background unfortunately there's not a way for Harmony to know and tell me if a certain device was toggled. The nodeserver only knows when an activity is turned on and turning on fire tv remote would only turn on devices separately.

Any insights would be great to get me on the right track.

Thanks, Patryk

2 hours ago, patryk.szady said:

I have harmony hubs for each tv connected to fire tv / cubes and using harmony remotes to control the fire tv ui via bluetooth. The equipment control on the fire tvs is off and solely controlled with harmony. I'm using the Polisy nodeserver to connect to ISY. The nodeserver works well; the harmony remote controlling the fire tv UI and my AV boxes is another story - it's a hit or miss, sometimes the volume with a normal press escapes to max or min, same with the fire tv ui. When it works it does so well but it's so unpredictable.

Has anyone experienced this or similar behavior? 

Ideally, I would love to get rid of the harmony remotes and use the small fire tv remotes to control my AV for each tv setup. Alexa is so restrictive, and I would need to figure out a way to get the status of each tv so I can communicate with ISY and in turn my kepads and so on. I'm also tried to utilize Harmony hubs in my setup in the background unfortunately there's not a way for Harmony to know and tell me if a certain device was toggled. The nodeserver only knows when an activity is turned on and turning on fire tv remote would only turn on devices separately.

Any insights would be great to get me on the right track.

Thanks, Patryk

I can't speak on your volume issues. I control the source of my volume which would be either the tv, receiver, or sound bar depending on room. I have no issues with any of them. Did you turn off CEC on your devices? If not, that could potentially be an issue. Not knowing what equipment you have limits what potential options you may have. 

Saying you have issues with Alexa UI doesn't give any insight either. It's kind of hard to diagnose and fix a problem when you don't know what it is. 

Since your devices are IR based, harmony wouldn't know what's going on with them. You would need rs232 control for 2 way communication. Some Tvs (depending on year/model) have up control. My LG TVs can be turned on/off via IP. With that said, status takes some time to update (if using the nodeserver). It's setup as a backup for me just in case but since Harmony works well, i can't even say if it still works after all this time 

Archived