Problems getting insteon keypad to trigger scenes

KVenable

I recently updated to 5.3.0 so I am not sure if that has anything to do with it but here I go. Ok I am trying to modify a scene that I set up wrong initially. It was supposed to be an "all off" button but one of the lights in the scene decided it was going to turn on instead. I am now almost a year later trying to fix the problem. I have removed the switch from the scene and rewrote it many times trying to get it to turn off instead of on. I also removed the controller and added it back to no avail. Not really sure where to go from here but I feel like the scene editing has changed with this new update.

I have also tried to set up a 'nighttime snack' scene that turns an insteon dimmer switch and a z-wave dimmer to %10 with a different keypads button. For some reason pressing the button will only turn the two dimmers off but testing the scene from the admin console turns both lights on at %10. I don't remember having problems with any of these things before I updated the firmware but it has been over a year.

Any help would be great.

Scene editing did change a little bit between v4 and v5, but not substantially (except a ‘copy’ button for scene attributes).   

I suspect your problem is that you don’t realize there are multiple places to configure the scene attributes.   The root level of the scene (when you click the scene name itself on the tree) are the scene attributes when the ISY (admin or program) is the controller.  Now click each red controller name, these are the scene attributes when the selected controller is used to activate the scene. 

Check each controller to ensure the attributes are configured as you expect the scene to operate.   This is actually a great advanced feature, scenes can behave differently based on which controller was used.  

For all off did you also change the button attributes to non-toggle off only? 

On 4/20/2021 at 5:29 AM, MrBill said:

This is actually a great advanced feature, scenes can behave differently based on which controller was used.  

That is true, but generally you want all controllers of a scene to do the same thing.  They used to have a single button that would copy the primary scene attributes to each controller with a single click.  They got rid of that.  So now if you have a scene with lots of controllers and lots of devices, it is a PITA to go through and set each device's response for each controller.  

33 minutes ago, apostolakisl said:

They got rid of that.

On 4/20/2021 at 5:29 AM, MrBill said:

Scene editing did change a little bit between v4 and v5, but not substantially (except a ‘copy’ button for scene attributes).  

I guess I am missing missing.  I should have said:

Scene editing did change a little bit between v4 and v5, but not substantially (except a missing ‘copy’ button for scene attributes).  

1 hour ago, apostolakisl said:

That is true, but generally you want all controllers of a scene to do the same thing.  They used to have a single button that would copy the primary scene attributes to each controller with a single click.  They got rid of that.  So now if you have a scene with lots of controllers and lots of devices, it is a PITA to go through and set each device's response for each controller.  

This isn't necessarily true for a lot of people. Outside of basic multi-way setups, most of my controllers actually do different things based on the location. For example, what I need to happen when hitting my away button from the kitchen is different than me doing the same from the front door or garage.

If one wants every controller to be the same, they could make it easier by adding responders to the scene first and configuring them. Once done, add the controllers and they will take on the scene attributes automatically

Archived