Sync with time server

ryarber

I'm trying to sync different devices in my home with my router which is supposed to be able to act as a time server. I have my router/firewall syncing with bellsouth's ntp servers, and I was syncing all my devices in my home that can sync with the router to keep everything in the house in sync.

It works fine for all devices except the ISY. All of my Macs and PC's sync fine. My ELK syncs fine with it, but the ISY keeps giving me an error when I try to sync. I'm putting in an internal IP address (192.168.1.254) that corresponds to my router/firewall.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the ISY not allow this?

Hi ryarber,

It should work. I just tested an IP address and it works fine.

Questions:

1. Is your ISY on the same network as your router?

2. What do you see in your log. I am especially interested in errors with -6000x prefix

With kind regards,

Michel

I'm trying to sync different devices in my home with my router which is supposed to be able to act as a time server. I have my router/firewall syncing with bellsouth's ntp servers, and I was syncing all my devices in my home that can sync with the router to keep everything in the house in sync.

It works fine for all devices except the ISY. All of my Macs and PC's sync fine. My ELK syncs fine with it, but the ISY keeps giving me an error when I try to sync. I'm putting in an internal IP address (192.168.1.254) that corresponds to my router/firewall.

Am I doing something wrong? Does the ISY not allow this?

I don't really know what I'm looking at here, but here are the error entries you are looking for:

0	192.168	 	Tue 11/24/2009 09:16:06 PM	System	-60001
0	null	 	Tue 11/24/2009 09:17:01 PM	System	-60006
0	192.168	 	Tue 11/24/2009 09:17:27 PM	System	-60001

I did not remove part of the IP address that I was trying to access. The address is 192.168.1.254. The address has been truncated in the log.

Hi again,

Thanks! Here's the link to errors:

http://www.universal-devices.com/mwiki/ ... r_Messages

-60001 = NTP Address Resolution Failed

-60006 = NTP Server Not Responding

Would you be kind enough to let me know what you are using for DNS server for your ISY? If you are using DHCP, you should be OK. But, if not, then, in all likelihood, the DNS setting is pointing to a server outside of your LAN and hence the issues.

With kind regards,

Michel

I am using DHCP. My router is a linksys RVS4000 gigabit firewall/router with VPN.

Should I try to set it up with a static IP and see if that helps? My computers are all set up with static IP addresses and they work fine. I wonder if my router is passing along the internet DNS address instead of its own address as the DNS server.

Hi ryarber,

If you have DHCP I would not change it. Can you tell me if you can synch with pool.ntp.org? Or, have you setup notifications and whether or not you get them delivered?

With kind regards,

Michel

I am using DHCP. My router is a linksys RVS4000 gigabit firewall/router with VPN.

Should I try to set it up with a static IP and see if that helps? My computers are all set up with static IP addresses and they work fine. I wonder if my router is passing along the internet DNS address instead of its own address as the DNS server.

I get this error occasionally.

"-5012 UPNP SUBSCRIBER NOREPLY TO EVENT 1 subscriber didn't reply to the event:couldn't write header"

Any idea as to why I get this? It never coincides with any scheduled event of Insteon activity. I see it in the log when I'm away and my AWAY program(s) are running. As I said the times never meet with any of the schedule.

Thanks,

aLf

Hey Michel:

I don't use iLinc (actually don't know what that is), unless you're talking about a RemoteLinc. The only "outside" source I have is the NetMod running code to set cameras. They shoulld not even be in the picture during the times I'm seeing the error. Otherwise I have nothing out of the ordinary running.

I'm sure it is nothing too, but the pilot thing always enters into the picture when I see computer errors!

aLf

Michel:

I do it the old fashioned way with HTTPS on the computer and just Safari in the iPhone. That may be the answer. I have not yet migrated to the iPhone Aps. Is there one that is better than others? Any reason to afraid of using the iPhone Aps?, i.e., stuff going on when I don't want it.

aLf

Archived