Serial PLM discontinued according to smarthome

bcdavis75

I don't specifically know the answer, however there is a button in the portal to reboot the ISY... therefor there is an external method... the question is how to harness it.

Correct, I’ve seen the button in the portal but like you never seen a way to call this to action from another source. This is something that must exist in the Polyisy because there’s going to be situations where the box will be hung up and a remote boot that can be automated to remediate the same.

Ping alive is not a serious solution or heart beat. Using a combination of both offers a little more insight but this too falls short in actually knowing the operating state of the controller!

I think Polisy is different. Its based, I believe, based on FreeBSD so you should be able to do a lot with it including sleeping start up activities (which would be the best sequence to save wear on the SD card) and rebooting from another server.

The 994i is another story...would be nice to know what protocol and script portal is using 

You can reboot from both Polisy and the UD Mobil.  

That’s remote control vs automating the same via a script / program. As far as I’m aware no such feature exists where another computer can reboot the ISY Series Controller without human intervention.

That also doesn’t address knowing 100% the controller is fully operational. Anyone who has seen their controller still run some programs / all. All the while they have zero control over the same via the AC can affirm this very scenario.

Nobody serious uses only ping alive, heart beat, to determine a fully operational state. As it doesn’t offer that insight due to the dozens of other factors at play.

Think someone pinging a box at home. Are you actually getting a response from the brains of said box vs the hardware NIC?!? Anyone who has ever experienced the Windows BSOD can tell you the box is absolutely bricked and yet you can ping it!

This is why one doesn’t rely only on hardware level, software level, application level, transport level etc.

He asked about a TCP/IP command to reboot ISY.  Many pieces of software indicate there is, and it isnot related to with the operating system (freeBSD or linux or Win)  it is running under. Not a related factor.

I believe it is in the REST command set but UDI did not want it used anywhere, if possible so may not want it out there.

He asked about a TCP/IP command to reboot ISY.  Many pieces of software indicate there is, and it isnot related to with the operating system (freeBSD or linux or Win)  it is running under. Not a related factor.
I believe it is in the REST command set but UDI did not want it used anywhere, if possible so may not want it out there.

My answer still stands there isn’t anything I’m aware that allows us to automatically reboot the controller without human manual intervention.

Whether that be from a smart application, cloud portal, Polyisy. All of them requires a person to actively press the soft reboot button.
21 minutes ago, Teken said:

My answer still stands there isn’t anything I’m aware that allows us to automatically reboot the controller without human manual intervention.

Whether that be from a smart application, cloud portal, Polyisy. All of them requires a person to actively press the soft reboot button.

My answer still stands as well but I was answering his question. Perhaps it wasn't worded the way he meant it or his intent has changed.

My answer still stands as well but I was answering his question. Perhaps it wasn't worded the way he meant it or his intent has changed.

Regardless it’s a feature that should exist and be accessible to those who wish to use it. Keep in mind if you need to regularly reboot anything there’s obviously a problem!

The only time that’s not true is where something requires a hard reboot to update firmware as is the case in many industrial hardware. Then again if the ISY Series Controller used the same methods to flash it’s system it would be a game changer and offer more resiliency.

This is coupled with sending real-time low level operating status that is linked to the various operations of the controller and not to a NIC just to determine operational status etc.

Maybe one day!
1 minute ago, Teken said:

Regardless it’s a feature that should exist and be accessible to those who wish to use it. Keep in mind if you need to regularly reboot anything there’s obviously a problem!

The only time that’s not true is where something requires a hard reboot to update firmware as is the case in many industrial hardware. Then again if the ISY Series Controller used the same methods to flash it’s system it would be a game changer and offer more resiliency.

This is coupled with sending real-time low level operating status that is linked to the various operations of the controller and not to a NIC just to determine operational status etc.

Maybe one day!

Have your ISY send itself an NR to it's own REST input to accomplish that task.

13 minutes ago, Teken said:

I’ll test when I get back home what’s the REST command?!?

I have no idea. I just know that 3 or 4 pieces of software can reboot ISY and AFAIK they are all dealing with ISY's REST interface only. Perhaps there is a standard somewhere that lists common REST style commands.

I have no idea. I just know that 3 or 4 pieces of software can reboot ISY and AFAIK they are all dealing with ISY's REST interface only. Perhaps there is a standard somewhere that lists common REST style commands.

Let’s see if Michel can offer this information to save time spooling up Wire Shark to obtain the same.

I submitted a low priority ticket on it a few minutes ago.

I laid out the issue: One workaround solution to have a serial ISY use a USB PLM requires a RPi. In that solution the  ISY needs to boot after the RPi.

Questions:

Is it possible to put a software delay in the ISY start up process...say 90sec. (preferable)

is it possible to issue a command from the RPi to reboot the ISY

Archived