Serial PLM discontinued according to smarthome

bcdavis75

On 9/20/2021 at 11:01 AM, AAdsit said:

I built the Raspberry Pi interface from TTL (from the ISY) to USB (to PLM-U) according to the link below. It works, however, the Pi needs to boot first to establish the comms between the TTL levels and the USB protocol. I am currently building a delay device that will keep the ISY from booting until the Raspberry is fully running. For now, for a power loss, I just have to unplug the ISY and reconnect.

Picture shows my ISY with the Pi Zero "backpack."

I'll post my delay device soon (using a resistor, capacitor, and relay).

ISY-Pi.jpg

Here is my delay approach (see attached for instructions). BE NICE - I'm not a Pi expert or a shell expert -- but this works to basically delay the ISY from getting power until the serial bridge Pi is fully booted (about 30-50 seconds).

See attachment for pictures.

Building a delay switch for the ISY 994-I when equipped with the Insteon USB PLM and the Pi based Serial Bridge

Why is a delay power switch needed? The serial bridge needs to be available prior to the ISY querying the USB PLM. The delay to fully boot following a power outage may cause the ISY 994-I to not properly sync with the PLM.

For info on building the serial bridge, see link: https://forum.universal-devices.com/topic/32546-insteon-2448a7-raspberrypi-isy994/

Concept: interrupt the ISY-994i power supply until the Raspberry Pi is fully booted.

Approach: A bash shell will cause a GPIO pin to go high, which can drive a single pole relay to allow power to the ISY following the Pi boot.

NOTE: I am NOT a Pi expert, a bash expert, but this worked for me. I’m sure there is a better way to do this, better place to put scripts, etc.

Parts: 5V 1 Channel Relay (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079FJSYGY/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_GQ95SPFMH3Q1YJMTETNR?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1)

3D printed enclosure: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4972862

5.5mm panel mount jack: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JR5AG5I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pololu connectors: https://www.pololu.com/product/1902 (order some male and female connectors or pre-terminated wires.

3mm-0.50 x 6mm screws: https://www.albanycountyfasteners.com/Socket-Head-Cap-Screw-3MM-A2-Stainless-Steel-p/5040000.htm

Step 1: Set up Raspberry Pi to Make Pin 5 on GPIO to go high after boot

Putty to the Pi and change directory to /etc/init.d (or anywhere you want to)

pi@serial-bridge:~ $ cd /etc/init.d

Create the shell file that will output high to Pin 5 (I called mine bootGPIO.sh):

pi@serial-bridge:~ $ sudo nano bootGPIO.sh

#!/bin/bash
#   Exports pin to userspace
echo "5" > /sys/class/gpio/export

# Sets pin 5 as an output
echo "out" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio5/direction

# Sets pin 5 to high
echo "1" > /sys/class/gpio/gpio5/value

Save the file using ctrl-O then ctrl-X

Make the file executable

pi@serial-bridge:~ $ sudo chmod 755 bootGPIO.sh

Add the bash command to the file /etc/rc.local file near the top of the file

pi@serial-bridge:~ $ sudo nano /etc/rc.local

sudo bash /etc/init.d/bootGPIO.sh

Save the file using ctrl-O then ctrl-X

Following this addition, pin 5 on GPIO will go high after boot.

Step 2: build the switch box:

Print the 3D enclosure (body and lid)

Assemble the relay module, the two 5.5mm jacks, and the 3 pin connector.

Step 3: Add wires to the Raspberry Pi GPIO. I used Yellow to GPIO 5 (pin 29) Black to GND (pin 30) and Red to 5 volts (pin 2). Terminate with the wires in the correct order such that Gnd goes to DC-, 5 volts goes to DC+, and signal (GPIO 5) goes to IN. Snake out of the Pi enclosure.

Step 4: disconnect both devices, run ISY power to one side of switch, make a short jumper to go from switch to ISY.

Step 5: reconnect power to both. Pi will boot and ISY will power on after about 30-50 seconds.

Building a delay switch for the ISY 994.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

I actually received the modem yesterday. I was really thinking that they'd contact me and say that there was a screw up in their inventory or that I'd get the unit only to find a USB modem instead of the serial.....but nope it was the real deal.

I'd suggest that someone start a pinned thread titled: Modem Availability Alerts. That way any interested member of this forum can follow the topic an be alerted if and when any future modems pop up on the market. Even though I now have my back up modem and a USB option in place I'd be more than willing to keep an eye out for everyone else.

• 2 weeks later...

I did the daughterboard swap with the USB version. Worked flawlessly. I ordered 6 USB versions off of Amazon. I have three homes and am heavily invested in Insteon.

My problems started after a powersurge. Took out 4 or five modules and my serial modem. Not ready to switch protocols yet. curiouse what everyone else is going to move to? Z-Wave Zigby or wifi swtches?

I think a lot of us are treading water waiting to see what direction Insteon takes. Their new Nokia branded Insteon products have been delayed and may or may not be compatible with the legacy Insteon products. I'm currently using Insteon and Zwave.  The Zwave products are somewhat limited but with the 700 series coming out shortly there may be more options on the horizon.

On 10/30/2021 at 3:44 PM, jnaiser60 said:

I did the daughterboard swap with the USB version. Worked flawlessly. I ordered 6 USB versions off of Amazon. I have three homes and am heavily invested in Insteon.

May I ask, were you able to combine the USB 2412U PLM with a serial board from a 2413S?

12 hours ago, mango said:

May I ask, were you able to combine the USB 2412U PLM with a serial board from a 2413S?

I believe the swap was from a 2413S serial board into a 2413U PLM.

The 2413S serial board has a faster speed link database memory chip. Not sure how a 2412U main board would mix with a 2413S serial board. Possible memory access issues. 

If the 2412U was an early version hardware. It may have firmware in it for the original 417 link data base used in the early versions.

I did put a 2413S serial board into a 2412U PLM. I did not do any testing of this. Other than using a few PLM test programs to see it it even worked. It did work with the tests but not a test with an ISY994i.

2 hours ago, Brian H said:

I believe the swap was from a 2413S serial board into a 2413U PLM.

The 2413S serial board has a faster speed link database memory chip. Not sure how a 2412U main board would mix with a 2413S serial board. Possible memory access issues. 

If the 2412U was an early version hardware. It may have firmware in it for the original 417 link data base used in the early versions.

I did put a 2413S serial board into a 2412U PLM. I did not do any testing of this. Other than using a few PLM test programs to see it it even worked. It did work with the tests but not a test with an ISY994i.

Switching over to polisy, and using a USB PLM,  I found I have lost any X10 features in my polisy. I am not sure if this is software or the USB PLM is incapable of X10 and polisy just reflects that in menu options loss.

@Michel KohanimHopefully polisy is just adding X10 support later in the firmware and this is not a hardware deficiency.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2021 at 10:05 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

All,

I think we have spent too much time debating SmartHome, their practices, and their destiny. Perhaps it's time that we all moved on because, ultimately, they are the masters of their own destiny and only time will tell how things will turn out. 

From UD perspective, ISY is now running on Polisy and supports INSTEON through the DB9 on the back (we are working on supporting USB). You cannot restore ISY backup on Polisy. If you want to play with ISY on Polisy (still alpha-beta):

1. Make sure your polisy is on version 13 (uname -a)
2. sudo pkg update
3. sudo pkg upgrade
4. sudo pkg install isy
5. sudo reboot

Once rebooted, ISY is at your polisy's IP:ports 8443 (4096 bit cert) or 8080 (no cert). So, if your polisy at 1.2.3.4, then ISY is at https://1.2.3.4:8443 or http://1.2.3.4:8080. 

You can use ISY Launcher:
1. Click on the Add button
2. Enter https://1.2.3.4:8443/desc ... 

You also get ISY Portal. And, you can use UD Mobile (not fully tested). Once we are done with buttoning things up, we are going to add support for Z-Wave 700 series + Zigbee/Matter.

With kind regards,
Michel

@Michel Kohanim,  With Polisy not supporting zwave why would one want to move to isy on Polisy?   With many insteon products now becoming unavailable wouldn’t we need to stay on our isy so we can continue to expand our home automation via zwave products? It had seemed isy product development was really investing in zwave, correct? My PLM recently went out so trying to figure out my path forward.  I have over a 100 Insteon devices and some zwave…thanks!

21 minutes ago, Adam Ant said:

@Michel Kohanim,  With Polisy not supporting zwave why would one want to move to isy on Polisy?   With many insteon products now becoming unavailable wouldn’t we need to stay on our isy so we can continue to expand our home automation via zwave products? It had seemed isy product development was really investing in zwave, correct? My PLM recently went out so trying to figure out my path forward.  I have over a 100 Insteon devices and some zwave…thanks!

Zwave on Polisy is in final development and should happen soon. Eventually (probably not soon) ISY will become EOL. Polisy is the way forward and once you have experienced Polyglot, you'll wonder why you did not go there sooner.

Archived