Communication errors reported after every boot

evarsanyi

The same two units (in an installation with perhaps 70 units) get flagged as being unreachable every time I log into the admin UI after a reboot. The show up with an '!' as well, however if I go to either of them and query it always works but usually leaves the '!' up.

If I turn either one off and back on (or fast on/fast off) the unit responds and the ! goes away until the next ISY99 reboot.

Both of these units have been replaced in the past (though many others have as well).

I've tried restoring the devices and that doesn't seem to help. If I watch the insteon traffic with a scope there's no unusual noise and a good strong signal at both locations (4.5-5V P2P after the first hop). I can read the link database (2-3 mins of continuous traffic) w/o a retry usually and it always compares correct.

One of the units is a 2476D dimmer and very new (an RMA replacement from SH), the other unit is also a fairly new 3 pin lamplinc.

This has been happening on 2.7.0 and now 2.7.7.

Any ideas what I can do to clear the cobwebs on these?

Hi evarsanyi,

Does it only happen after each reboot?

With kind regards,

Michel

The same two units (in an installation with perhaps 70 units) get flagged as being unreachable every time I log into the admin UI after a reboot. The show up with an '!' as well, however if I go to either of them and query it always works but usually leaves the '!' up.

If I turn either one off and back on (or fast on/fast off) the unit responds and the ! goes away until the next ISY99 reboot.

Both of these units have been replaced in the past (though many others have as well).

I've tried restoring the devices and that doesn't seem to help. If I watch the insteon traffic with a scope there's no unusual noise and a good strong signal at both locations (4.5-5V P2P after the first hop). I can read the link database (2-3 mins of continuous traffic) w/o a retry usually and it always compares correct.

One of the units is a 2476D dimmer and very new (an RMA replacement from SH), the other unit is also a fairly new 3 pin lamplinc.

This has been happening on 2.7.0 and now 2.7.7.

Any ideas what I can do to clear the cobwebs on these?

Hi evarsanyi,

Would you be kind enough to try the following:

When you have the issue, do a query on the device, then Right mouse click on the node and choose rename. In the rename dialog, just click OK (you do not have to actually rename it). Please let me know if after reboot you still get the same error.

If you do, it most probably has to do with communications error. If not, then we have a bug in ISY.

With kind regards,

Michel

Yes, if I "touch" the devices (faston or off or whatever) they start to act normally until the next reboot.

OK, I tried the rename thing and it didn't change anything at the next boot.

What's funny is the 2 devices its complaining about haven't even been queried yet when it puts up the message. I pull the PLM/ISY out of the wall, wait a bit and plug it back in. As soon as it starts to ping (ICMP) I go to the admin applet and immeditaely its got these 2 pops about the devices being unreachable. If I then turn on the event viewer and watch it churn through my configuration (for about 5 minutes) querying everything when it gets to each of those devices there is no problem at all querying it (no retries, no problem).

Its like it remembered there was a problem with them once and feels it has to report it every time it boots.

Hi evarsanyi,

This was reported once before but we could not reproduce it. Can you try one more thing: disable it and see if it still complains. Thanks so very much for the troubleshooting.

With kind regards,

Michel

OK, I tried the rename thing and it didn't change anything at the next boot.

What's funny is the 2 devices its complaining about haven't even been queried yet when it puts up the message. I pull the PLM/ISY out of the wall, wait a bit and plug it back in. As soon as it starts to ping (ICMP) I go to the admin applet and immeditaely its got these 2 pops about the devices being unreachable. If I then turn on the event viewer and watch it churn through my configuration (for about 5 minutes) querying everything when it gets to each of those devices there is no problem at all querying it (no retries, no problem).

Its like it remembered there was a problem with them once and feels it has to report it every time it boots.

Archived