Moving and leaving my ISY. What do I need to do?

Buzzhazz

Many months ago, I posted asking about forum members' thoughts on how to handle my current home's Insteon and accompanying ISY system when I move.  Well, we're in the packing stage, so it's time.  The prevailing wisdom seemed to be to just leave it in place and let the new owners have at it if they choose to do so.  That's what I'm going to do. 

• I'll print out a network topography and a hard copy of the current ISY manual.  
  • I'll leave a link to this invaluable forum
  • I'll disable the few programs I have because I don't want to assume the new owners will want the same programs
  • I'll change the logon information to the ISY defaults (admin and password as I recall?)
  • I have an existing subscription to the ISY Portal which I only use to control Insteon with the Google Assistant.  Do I contact UDI to administratively decouple the service from my ISY?

Honestly, my biggest concern is not the ISY, but that the PLM will fail again (it's been several years) or that individual Insteon devices will eventually fail as I'm sure many of us have experienced over the years.  Good luck finding an electrician who knows how to deal with an Insteon 4-way virtual circuit when the load bearing device craps out.  I know it will be the new owners' problem, but I try to view it from their position.

Once at the new home, I'll start fresh with a new system.  I know nothing about Polisy other than at some point, I understand it will replace the ISY 994.  In the new home, I'll have a mix of Insteon and Z-Wave (mostly for doors and maybe blinds). Should I build my new system around the Polisy?

Thanks in advance.

I'll change the logon information to the ISY defaults (admin and password as I recall?)

admin/admin

I have an existing subscription to the ISY Portal which I only use to control Insteon with the Google Assistant.  Do I contact UDI to administratively decouple the service from my ISY?

You can do this yourself, In the admin console revoke the portal registration.  (Configuration Tab > Portals)

image.png.bb7f33bf6acfb0bd0aa943f0ff483fa3.png

then login to your portal account and click the Red X to the left of the UUID of the ISY you wish to delete from your account.  (I assume both steps are needed, but I've never done it, the ISY may disappear from your portal account after the first step.)

image.png.5616a5170cfad5ef8201ce8d45fe9b51.png

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/9/2021 at 11:17 AM, Michel Kohanim said:

@buzzhazzard,

I would recommend transferring the ISY Portal:

ISY Portal Transfer Instructions - Universal Devices, Inc. Wiki (universal-devices.com)

With kind regards,
Michel

Hi Michel (or anyone else who can chime in quickly)

My portal license runs through Jan 2023.  I'm not sure if I will meet the new owner or not, but if I add him, and delete me, does the license stay with him?  It's no big deal if it does.  Just curious about the mechanics.

Conversely, if I don 't meet the owner and cannot add him, is the second best to revoke the portal in the admin concole and delete the ISY from the portal?

We close tomorrow, so just trying to leave the new guys with a functional ISY without me having access to it.

2 hours ago, buzzhazzard said:

Hi Michel (or anyone else who can chime in quickly)

My portal license runs through Jan 2023.  I'm not sure if I will meet the new owner or not, but if I add him, and delete me, does the license stay with him?  It's no big deal if it does.  Just curious about the mechanics.

Conversely, if I don 't meet the owner and cannot add him, is the second best to revoke the portal in the admin concole and delete the ISY from the portal?

We close tomorrow, so just trying to leave the new guys with a functional ISY without me having access to it.

I believe he will get the license for the balance of the term.  Under those instructions you are essentially adding a user, verifying that they can log in, then deleting yourself as an account user.   Since they won't be around for there "check if they can log in step"  you might just want to create a generic gmail account to add.  then you can give the the gmail account, as well as the portal account.  That is give the the login information for both the new gmail you created and the portal account it logs into.  make both passwords something like Change!Me2 (avoid using 1 as the number because some people can't figure out the difference between 1 and lower case l.

Archived