New Nokia Insteon Devices

silverton38

14 hours ago, upstatemike said:

If Alexa can control it Ninsteon must allow her (it) to create devices to work with.

and by doing do you introduce a cloud dependency.  Personally, I try to keep as much as possible local and out of the cloud.  My home automation system should generally work regardless of the state of my internet connection and random cloud servers.

53 minutes ago, MrBill said:

and by doing do you introduce a cloud dependency.  Personally, I try to keep as much as possible local and out of the cloud.  My home automation system should generally work regardless of the state of my internet connection and random cloud servers.

I don't disagree. I'm just pointing out that there may be a workaround for the lack of an API if somebody really wanted to incorporate Ninsteon devices into their system. Without plugin modules or motion sensors I don't see much use for these products standing on their own. They just don't do anything particularly useful.

1 minute ago, upstatemike said:

I don't disagree. I'm just pointing out that there may be a workaround for the lack of an API if somebody really wanted to incorporate Ninsteon devices into their system. Without plugin modules or motion sensors I don't see much use for these products standing on their own. They just don't do anything particularly useful.

The system is not currently designed for Isy (or any other advanced system) users so you wouldn't see a need. There are plenty of people out there who doesn't need a full system in that manner. 

It's like buying a car. I don't go off roading so I don't understand why a person would get a Jeep or any true off road capable vehicle. But i understand that some people do so I get why people buy them. 

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

I couldn't agree more. I can live without music and anything else internet connected. I need my lights to work

3 minutes ago, lilyoyo1 said:

I couldn't agree more. I can live without music and anything else internet connected. I need my lights to work

We do stream more music today, but there's still an entire music library on hard drive that we could revisit without internet.  We can also watch OTA broadcasting if video streaming isn't available.  There is always a plan B.

In the construction field it isn't unheard of for a company to open another company just to avoid or get out of agreements/liabilities they have under the "old" company. If I were to look Smartlabs  moves, as an outsider, since being taken over and installing a new CEO I'd really have to say that their moves and motivation(s) seem now obvious. It's a huge move on their part...and huge moves come with huge risk, at minimum, with consumer acceptance.

If their new bridge is/will be compatible with the existing line-up of Insteon devices than they lower "some" risk with the existing Insteon user base since the listing price of their bridge is $40...and I think most of the casual users will, maybe grumbling, move to Nokia's closed system if that's the case.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mwester said:

Silly people.  Nokia is European -- they don't celebrate American (or Canadian) Thanksgiving.  Watch for the introductory sales starting for the Xmas season!

While Nokia is European, from the cold Scandinavian woods, they for sure have US offices. The Insteon devices, widely "advertized" in these columns (!)  are 110 V and therefore for the North American market. So the Silly people may not be all that silly :-) .

16 hours ago, mwester said:

Silly people.  Nokia is European -- they don't celebrate American (or Canadian) Thanksgiving.  Watch for the introductory sales starting for the Xmas season!

14 hours ago, asbril said:

While Nokia is European, from the cold Scandinavian woods, they for sure have US offices. The Insteon devices, widely "advertized" in these columns (!)  are 110 V and therefore for the North American market. So the Silly people may not be all that silly :-) .

Nokia isn't "selling" anything and has almost nothing to do with this product line. They just sold their name to be used by Smarthome/Insteon.  It's silly to me for posters to keep referring to the product line as "Nokia's" as if that makes it magically better or to come from Europe.  So viva NiNo or Nokeon or Instakia, etc, etc. ?

Sarcasm, folks.

To be serious -- the Nokia name-branding feels like the last gasp of a technology left to die.  No amount of naming and branding is ever going to address the fact that the power-line technology used by Insteon doesn't work very well in the face of the "new normal" (switching power supplies muddying the zero-crossing point on the power-line).

And opinion: every company I know that is having inventory/availability issues is scapegoating the "chip shortage" -- and I believe that SmartHome is no different.  I suspect the truth is that it's a convenient thing they (and some of the smarthome fanbois on this forum) use as a smoke screen to keep some degree of consumer confidence up as they sell off remaining inventory in a desperate attempt to raise the cash necessary to introduce the newly-branded version of the same old (failing) technology.

Finally, I realize that my comments are skirting dangerously close to the verboten topic of politics, but the fact is that at this juncture, politics has infected every aspect of life, to the point where neither sports nor my hobby serves as an escape.  I've been far less active on this forum because over the summer, I spent a lot more time fishing -- where the mosquitos and leeches are less irritating than even my hobbies have become. :-(   I may be forced to take up ice-fishing soon.  And for those interested in cross-over stuff -- no, there are no Insteon nor any Nokia fishing products.  And neither (yet) are there any node servers for fishing...

Archived