GC-100

garybixler

Hi all

I have been researching the Global Cache devices as a good solid reliable means of sending and receiving ON/OFF from low voltage devices. Having the network module I was able to import a relay zip file found here and saw how it functions within the ISY. I do have a question on the input sensors however. It says that an input port can be set for auto notify and will send a notification message on state change. My question is, will the ISY receive that change. I was unable to find out exactly what the GC will send. Is it to a specific IP address, that of the ISY or in the form of a broadcast or multicast.

Any thoughts about making this and other type network devices more of a plug n play selection.

Thanks in advance for any enlightenment.

Gary

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Gary -

Unfortunately, at the moment, the ISY's Network Module cannot react to commands or responses received FROM devices.

I'm investigating a similar project. Basically, I would like to have a system that is completely independent of my PC. The GC-100 seems to be one vital piece of the puzzle, as well as the ISY.

Can you please clarify a little? I understand that the ISY will not react to TCP/IP messages sent to it, if I'm correct. How about hooking up a SeriaLinc - Insteon to 2-Way RS232 Serial Converter (http://www.smarthome.com/2410S/SeriaLin ... ter/p.aspx) to the Global Cache and using the signals from that? Is that a viable (albeit tedious) work-around?

Are there plans in the near future to modify the ISY to look for commands over the network?

Thanks!

Hi Quixote,

Yes, ISY does respond to properly formatted URLs ... so, you could have Global Caché send out a command to ISY though, as you said, using SeriaLinc and Global Caché and ISY makes me envision: too many points of failure.

Yes, we do have plans for bi directional communications though I cannot give you an exact date.

With kind regards,

Michel

Hi Quixote,

Yes, ISY does respond to properly formatted URLs ... so, you could have Global Caché send out a command to ISY though, as you said, using SeriaLinc and Global Caché and ISY makes me envision: too many points of failure.

Yes, we do have plans for bi directional communications though I cannot give you an exact date.

With kind regards,

Michel

Thanks for the advice/info. Would the bi directional communications project be a firmware release, or something more substantial that would require updated hardware? The reason I ask is because I've been holding off on my ISY purchase for a long time now in the hopes of seeing a few new features and so far a couple of them have been implemented. I'm really getting anxious to join the other happy ISY users.

One other feature I'd like to see is a randomized offset that you could set for the sunrise/sunset events, possibly with the ability to add a predetermined offset as well. For example, turn on a light 1 hour after sunset, plus a random amount of time between 0 and 1.5 hours. Should I bother posting this in the features requests, or are you too busy for something like that?

Thanks again.

-D

Well, that's good news. I'll see what I can find in the wiki about the wait command. In theory then, I could have a program that is triggered by the sunset that would wait an hour then start another program that waits a random amount of time before turning on a light in order to get a wait time of at least an hour after sundown?

Thanks very much for your attentiveness!

Sorry for breaking the topic. That's all from me here. :oops:

Here is a Program I use to randomize a bedroom light while I'm on vacation. It utilizes some of the things you are asking about:

If
       Time is  8:00:00PM

Then
       Wait  10 minutes  (Random)
       Set Scene 'MatthewBedLamp' On
       Wait  10 minutes 
       Wait  10 minutes  (Random)
       Set Scene 'MatthewBedLamp' Off

Else
  - No Actions - (To add one, press 'Action')

Sometime between 8pm and 8:10pm the bedroom lights come on, then the program waits between 10 and 20 minutes and turns the light back off.

Archived