ISY FINDER: Not Found ?

Jim P

Finder has two type of records that are displayed.  Those that it found on it's own, and those that were added via the add button.  Yours appear to be the manually added type and your network appears to support addressing //isy.  If Finder found an ISY the URL column would be showing an IP address type of link.   So... Finder didn't find the ISY, but there are two manually ADDed records being maintained by Finder.

1 hour ago, MrBill said:

Finder has two type of records that are displayed.  Those that it found on it's own, and those that were added via the add button.  Yours appear to be the manually added type and your network appears to support addressing //isy.  If Finder found an ISY the URL column would be showing an IP address type of link.   So... Finder didn't find the ISY, but there are two manually ADDed records being maintained by Finder.

Thanks for this.  I always wondered the same thing, and now it makes sense.  Does make me wonder why the finder can never find my ISY on my very simple network, but not a big deal.

12 minutes ago, carealtor said:

Thanks for this.  I always wondered the same thing, and now it makes sense.  Does make me wonder why the finder can never find my ISY on my very simple network, but not a big deal.

I know more than the average person about networks, BUT I still don't understand how the finding part works, nor do I understand what makes or breaks the named addresses (i.e. //isy or //polisy) from working or not working. 

Observed here: the UDP packet is sent on the wrong network, or not sent at all, in the case where a given system has multiple networks attached.  They don't have to be physical networks -- in my case, they are internal virtual networks created by virtualization software (Microsoft Hyper-V, VMware, VirtualBox, etc) or by Docker implementations.

I have noticed also noticed that the finder frequently doesn't work. The only virtual network I have is the VPN to my office, and finder sometimes works when that is connected and sometimes when it's not. Regardless of the VPN connection status, though, doing an Add with either http://isy or http://<local-ip-address> always works.

However, sometimes when I return to finder the manually added connections are there, and sometime they are not, and if finder has not found the ISY, I have to manually add it again. There appears to be no pattern in my situation, but I will admit I haven't spent a lot of time trying to track down the problem.

1 hour ago, Goose66 said:

However, sometimes when I return to finder the manually added connections are there, and sometime they are not, and if finder has not found the ISY, I have to manually add it again. There appears to be no pattern in my situation, but I will admit I haven't spent a lot of time trying to track down the problem.

Exactly my experience too.  Although, I don't think Finder has ever automatically found my ISY.

Archived