LogMeIn alternatives

carealtor

We haven't been on vacation in some time, but finally getting away next week.  I used to use LogMeIn to make a remote connection from my laptop to my wife's desktop back home.  What is the best alternative to LogMeIn these days?  Both machines are Win10.

I found this article that seems to have some good info, but would appreciate some real world opinions. https://beebom.com/best-logmein-alternatives/

2 hours ago, Teken said:

VPN . . .

I vote VPN too, but that's only half the answer.  Connect to the network via VPN, if the device you're using is also win10 use stock Remote Desktop client.  Unfortunately Windows Remote desktop server is not available on Win10 Home.  If the PC at home has Home on it, it's a soft upgrade to pro, but you need "Win10 Pro Upgrade" from the Microsoft store.  The laptop you have with you can use any win10 version... the client for connection is included in home.

If it's an IOS device, connect to the network via VPN then use the app RDP Lite to connect to the Win10 machine.  

I don't know how Team Viewer always gets such high rankings on lists.

As it relates to true security nothing is secure if allowed to be connected to the outside world. It doesn’t matter if it’s via the internet vs other communication methods it’s not secure.

People allow outside access because they value convenience over true security. This is made worse when people don’t understand the basic principles of using one method over the other.

Think Port Forwarding . . .

Those who have taken the time to read and understand the next level is VPN. Yes this is more secure but in no way is it the silver bullet!

The same fallacy is used and thought as the ultimate recipe to security: VLAN’s

No . . .

It’s software and any software can be broken think about any encryption such as SSL / TLS. On the polar opposite people still believe using certificates are the end all be all?!?

Think Symantec utter fail and many others who are charged with being the root certificate authority!

Every OS has been breached since released into the public domain. This will continue forever because people value convenience over true security.

If the systems are island (isolated) it literally requires a person to come on site to breach the systems. Obviously we aren’t going to suggest WiFi isn’t a vector it is!

The conversation is about a hardline to a security alarm system, video security, etc.

I do use Win10 Pro and I do use RDC/RDP locally already, so I have that piece in place.

I pretty much already knew VPN was going to be the recommendation.  Either I'm not understanding the concept or my Google skills are lacking.  It seems everything I find for setting up VPN is in regards to an OUTGOING connection.  That is, use a VPN to surf the web anonymously.  But I would need to set up an INCOMING VPN.

3 hours ago, Teken said:

As it relates to true security nothing is secure if allowed to be connected to the outside world. It doesn’t matter if it’s via the internet vs other communication methods it’s not secure.

People allow outside access because they value convenience over true security. This is made worse when people don’t understand the basic principles of using one method over the other.

Think Port Forwarding . . .

Those who have taken the time to read and understand the next level is VPN. Yes this is more secure but in no way is it the silver bullet!

The same fallacy is used and thought as the ultimate recipe to security: VLAN’s

No . . .

It’s software and any software can be broken think about any encryption such as SSL / TLS. On the polar opposite people still believe using certificates are the end all be all?!?

Think Symantec utter fail and many others who are charged with being the root certificate authority! emoji107.png

Every OS has been breached since released into the public domain. This will continue forever because people value convenience over true security. emoji2357.png

If the systems are island (isolated) it literally requires a person to come on site to breach the systems. Obviously we aren’t going to suggest WiFi isn’t a vector it is!

The conversation is about a hardline to a security alarm system, video security, etc.

Lets be real. Multi Billion dollar companies with teams of cyber security folks are still hacked. Nothing is really going to stop anyone at the consumer level from being hacked. Once you realize that, it's easier to proceed accordingly

9 hours ago, carealtor said:

We haven't been on vacation in some time, but finally getting away next week.  I used to use LogMeIn to make a remote connection from my laptop to my wife's desktop back home.  What is the best alternative to LogMeIn these days?  Both machines are Win10.

I found this article that seems to have some good info, but would appreciate some real world opinions. https://beebom.com/best-logmein-alternatives/

TeamViewer still (last time I looked) has a free home use version.  I have a paid version from Solarwinds, but its part of my business license. The VPN via Windows PPTP or through your router is handy also if you can use RDP, but only with Win10 Pro as you have stated. Be sure to put an On/Off Insteon switch on your PC just in case you need it. 

15 hours ago, carealtor said:

It seems everything I find for setting up VPN is in regards to an OUTGOING connection.  That is, use a VPN to surf the web anonymously.  But I would need to set up an INCOMING VPN.

It's true that google search results are terrible polluted these days since most people want a VPN to change their location.  You might try VPN Server and/or VPN+Server on google, even that gets a little polluted with cloud VPN offerings

Here's a how to geek article that is a good start point.

16 hours ago, carealtor said:

I would need to set up an INCOMING VPN.

A good place to start is with your own router/firewall's documentation. Hopefully it supports creating a host VPN on it that would give you access to your entire network from anywhere. Mine supports PPTP clients which work from my Android phone or any Windows device I am using without adding any special software client outside my network.

I used LogMeIn for many years, and have about 50 machines that I manage for family, clients, and my rental photo booths.  

When they re-arranged the pricing structure, I looked around and ended up on Splashtop.  It's never let me down.  No VPN or any tunnels to worry about.  I never had a problem remoting in to my booths which were set up at a variety of venues.

I must be grandfathered in to a legacy pricing plan, as I pay $60 a year and have access to (what appears to be) unlimited computers, as the current $60 plan allows only 2.  The next plan goes to about $100/year for 10 computers.  Still worth it, IMO.

Archived