My old appliancelinc of many years is no longer recognized

bh56

I've got an AppianceLinc #2456S3 it's a V4.9 1246.  Has been working forever.

Recently is not recognized from my ISY994i.

I can't seem to add the device again.  I removed the old/dead one.

It starts to recognize it, but then get the error message attached.

Anyone have any insight?

appliancelinc.png

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried right next to the outlet the PLM is connected to.  Same issue.  So, must be the  ApplianceLinc has failed?  I've only had the PLM fail on me, not any of the devices so far.  Guess it's not too bad since I started down the Insteon/ISY route in 2012.

10 hours ago, bh56 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried right next to the outlet the PLM is connected to.  Same issue.  So, must be the  ApplianceLinc has failed?  I've only had the PLM fail on me, not any of the devices so far.  Guess it's not too bad since I started down the Insteon/ISY route in 2012.

Factory reset device, choose start linking, press and hold set button until it pops up. Also make sure your firmware and UI matches

Edited by lilyoyo1

18 minutes ago, hart2hart said:

I’ve got a used one from where I replaced it with a dual band version. It’s been in a box in basement since dual band was introduced. Plastic case has yellowed bad. If you’re interested, I’ll attempt to link and confirm it still works.

Thanks for the offer.  I have spares, just trying to leverage my investment

2 hours ago, bh56 said:

made sure to choose my exact model and version

Don't do that.   Using the method @lilyoyo1 suggested that you use "Start linking" it's not even an option.   Personally I use the "New Insteon Device" method most often but I only specify the Device address, always leave Device Type on Auto Discover, don't try to guess.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrBill said:

Don't do that.   Using the method @lilyoyo1 suggested that you use "Start linking" it's not even an option.   Personally I use the "New Insteon Device" method most often but I only specify the Device address, always leave Device Type on Auto Discover, don't try to guess.

I did use New Insteon Device and used both Auto Discover and tried the specific version.  Still no luck.  Think it must be DOA?

5 minutes ago, bh56 said:

Yes, I did a New Insteon Device and it recognizes the device, but gives me an error that I attached in my initial post.

"New Insteon Device" is at the bottom of the "Link Management" menu, "Start Linking" is a different Method and is the TOP item of the same menu.

3 minutes ago, MrBill said:

"New Insteon Device" is at the bottom of the "Link Management" menu, "Start Linking" is a different Method and is the TOP item of the same menu.

I also  did try the Start Linking, but nothing happens when I go this route.   Device is only recognized if I do New Insteon Device with specific address.  When I do the Start Linking, it just goes very quickly but does not find any devices.

11 minutes ago, bh56 said:

I also  did try the Start Linking, but nothing happens when I go this route.   Device is only recognized if I do New Insteon Device with specific address.  When I do the Start Linking, it just goes very quickly but does not find any devices.

What do you mean it goes quickly and nothing happens? What exact steps did you take? It sounds like you're not doing the process correctly.  Generally it'll run for a short while on its own if you do nothing at all. If it goes quickly, then you have something else going on. 

It's paramount that you answer the questions asked and follow the instructions correctly so that we can properly assist you. Everything asked and instructions given were done because they all play a part in the issues you're having

• Like 1

Sounds like it has failed.

As an electronic technician. I replaced the filter caps in older ones than you have, 2006 I believe V1.3. Replacements from Smarthome as the original V1.2 had a way of smoking. When controlling some inductive loads.

The V4.? have a later design.  I had one of the V4.? failed also. Dead shorted diode in the power supply.

I have seen reports of some of the Dual Band ON/Off modules cases cracking on the back. Sticking in the power outlet as the front cover broke Off. I have six out of seven with unsafe cases. In my case no standard warranty as they where refurbished and a 30 day exchange only option. My cases also where yellowed.

Edited by Brian H

2 hours ago, lilyoyo1 said:

What do you mean it goes quickly and nothing happens? What exact steps did you take? It sounds like you're not doing the process correctly.  Generally it'll run for a short while on its own if you do nothing at all. If it goes quickly, then you have something else going on. 

It's paramount that you answer the questions asked and follow the instructions correctly so that we can properly assist you. Everything asked and instructions given were done because they all play a part in the issues you're having

Sorry, I didn't explain this correctly.  I did go through the Start Linking option.  It did scan through while I had my device in link mode.  It went through the scan, then I clicked on one of the 3 options after the scan that you have.  I tried all 3 of the options, but none of them result in a device that has been added at all.  So, going this route, does the scan, but no device added at all.  Adding a new device, gives me the attached error message.  Hope this further  helps you understand the steps I took.

4 hours ago, bh56 said:

5 minutes ago, bh56 said:

Sorry, I didn't explain this correctly.  I did go through the Start Linking option.  It did scan through while I had my device in link mode.  It went through the scan, then I clicked on one of the 3 options after the scan that you have.  I tried all 3 of the options, but none of them result in a device that has been added at all.  So, going this route, does the scan, but no device added at all.  Adding a new device, gives me the attached error message.  Hope this further  helps you understand the steps I took.

Wow two entirely different ways of explaining the same thing. 

I agree with @Brian H now tho... it's dead.

• 3 months later...

God, I love this forum.  And UDI.

I had an ApplianceLinc (AL) start acting flaky recently. Turned out that a noisy LED strip was at fault, but I removed and attempted to readd the AL during troubleshooting.  I got the "engine" error when trying to add by address.  Didn't try the "start linking" approach at first, but remembered this thread, and got it going eventually.

But even though I could control it, it gave me the "not responding" error every time I turned it on or off.  A query would return the correct state, but each subsequent on or off in the AC would cause the error to reoccur, and the exclamation point to show up next to the device. But then I remembered this thread.  Again.  And I reset the AL three times before attempting to readd it.

Viola!  It's back, 100% functional.  Thanks larrylix.  And also to the Best. Forum. Ever.

-Tom

• Like 2