2413S PLM work around?

dpierre

11 minutes ago, icerabbit said:

Thank you. 
I will proceed and order a USB based model. Fingers crossed. 

I just talked to SmartHome phone support briefly. Was told that:

- the 2413S is out of stock due to supply chain issues

- it has not been discontinued

- ETA is several months at a minimum, as they have had zero news

... so, some time next year it should be back. 

I asked for an escalation of my concern / call, regarding the critical nature of the PLM. Are people supposed to rip everything out that does not have a physical switch control and rewire for six months? Probably won't change anything. But, I want to give it a shot and make somebody past level 1 aware what this actually means for their customers ... and they ought to do something more than say wait 3-6 months. Maybe hit the brakes on some other product runs, do some limited runs and ship them out before you fill up a cargo container ... to help your stranded customers. 

I don't think they can re-priortize because I don't think they are able to get anything produced at all right now. The question is whether they ever will again irrespective of their apirations and intent. We are looking at a potential Olympic boyott which could escalate into a trade war which could multiply the existing tensions over Taiwan and recent Chinese naval activities which could evolve into open military conflict... how do you expect that is going to affect the supply chain for replenishing Insteon product over the next 3-6 months?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, larryllix said:

Begs the question. I wonder if anybody could procure the daughter boards from Insteon for a decent price ?

My guess is no as Insteon seems to be trying to kill any sales or progress for the company until death do us part. default_sad.png

I don't think Inteon or smarthome stocks any "parts".  I think they buy assembled units from China.

• Like 1

My line of thought was that they probably have x amount of outstanding orders for items a b c d e f ... etc across their range and that nothing may ship, unless it reaches a certain quantity and fills up a container or whole batch of them. So, instead, wait on making what you have in stock, re-queue , prioritize making the critical items like PLMs and get that batch on a plane. 

38 minutes ago, icerabbit said:

prioritize making the critical items like PLMs

The problem is the more critical items are 2477D dimmers, and insteon hubs and USB PLMs. The serial 2413s item has become a low volume/low priority item.  They are much more interested in the items that turn quickly.

Thank you. 
I will proceed and order a USB based model. Fingers crossed. 

I just talked to SmartHome phone support briefly. Was told that:
- the 2413S is out of stock due to supply chain issues
- it has not been discontinued
- ETA is several months at a minimum, as they have had zero news
... so, some time next year it should be back. 
I asked for an escalation of my concern / call, regarding the critical nature of the PLM. Are people supposed to rip everything out that does not have a physical switch control and rewire for six months? Probably won't change anything. But, I want to give it a shot and make somebody past level 1 aware what this actually means for their customers ... and they ought to do something more than say wait 3-6 months. Maybe hit the brakes on some other product runs, do some limited runs and ship them out before you fill up a cargo container ... to help your stranded customers. 
Your new USB PLM can be reassembled and used for your new polisy, if and when you make the jump.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, upstatemike said:

I don't think they can re-priortize because I don't think they are able to get anything produced at all right now. The question is whether they ever will again irrespective of their apirations and intent. We are looking at a potential Olympic boyott which could escalate into a trade war which could multiply the existing tensions over Taiwan and recent Chinese naval activities which could evolve into open military conflict... how do you expect that is going to affect the supply chain for replenishing Insteon product over the next 3-6 months?

Wow! We went from pm issues to WW3 bringing insteon down. 

Let's be real. If war did break out, we'll have much bigger issues than insteon stock levels and their ability to replenish

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, icerabbit said:

My line of thought was that they probably have x amount of outstanding orders for items a b c d e f ... etc across their range and that nothing may ship, unless it reaches a certain quantity and fills up a container or whole batch of them. So, instead, wait on making what you have in stock, re-queue , prioritize making the critical items like PLMs and get that batch on a plane. 

They make orders as necessary. The problem is they have to make a minimum buy for the factory to produce the product. With limited chips, the question becomes whether or not you produce products that may take 6-12 months to sell or those that will sell in 3-4 weeks

Edited by lilyoyo1

4 hours ago, upstatemike said:

I don't think they can re-prioritize because I don't think they are able to get anything produced at all right now. The question is whether they ever will again irrespective of their aspirations and intent. We are looking at a potential Olympic boycott which could escalate into a trade war which could multiply the existing tensions over Taiwan and recent Chinese naval activities which could evolve into open military conflict... how do you expect that is going to affect the supply chain for replenishing Insteon product over the next 3-6 months?

Or they could just put an embargo on us for anything electronic, like ICs to cripple our economies.

Wait!... hmmmmmm...never mind, I have to order a newer Model A Ford. :)

2 hours ago, larryllix said:

Your new USB PLM can be reassembled and used for your new polisy, if and when you make the jump.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

My ISY has been stable - knock on wood.  I wish the same could be said of the PLMs.

I don't hink polisy offers anything that I need at this time. 

That said ... 

If it could eliminate the insteon PLM ... as in, an all in one device, as reliable as an ISY, and no more PLM stress, I would order one rightaway. 

Edited by icerabbit

35 minutes ago, icerabbit said:

My ISY has been stable - knock on wood.  I wish the same could be said of the PLMs.

I don't hink polisy offers anything that I need at this time. 

That said ... 

If it could eliminate the insteon PLM ... as in, an all in one device, as reliable as an ISY, and no more PLM stress, I would order one rightaway. 

UDI could if Smartlabs would let them... which they won't.

40 minutes ago, upstatemike said:

UDI could if Smartlabs would let them... which they won't.

That is the way I see it.

UDI did develop its own version of the PLM. With a promise from Smatlabs to provide the needed programmed controller chips.

Then after developing it Smartlabs backed out. Leaving UID high and dry.

So they will not allow it to be made.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

... completely demoralizing ...

So, while I was waiting on the new USB PLM to arrive, I plugged the old serial PLM back in, without its top cover on; and a few hours later, it was running again. Good response to commands. Timers fine. Cool. Until a few days ago.

Unplugged everything.
Carefully did the transfer of the serial daughter board to the new unit.
Powered up PLM.
Powered up ISY.
Admin console
Whole bunch of can't find ... and writing ...  
Replace PLM command.
Completed ... and nothing. 

Unplugged everything again, plugged in PLM, plugged in ISY 

I have now for several hours tried to do everything, new ethernet cables, moved outlets, ... 

ISY says PLM connected. The PLM links table has 104 lines ...

Every single time I log off and on, it wants to do a bunch of writing. 

And everything remains RED ! 

Thoughts?
Troubleshooting ideas?
Options?

Hoping there somebody who can help, because this situation ... is quite stressful. A bunch of 220V & 110V only works through our Insteon modules. 

Your PLM may be on the edge of failure and thus unreliable.

You can try right clicking on one of the devices with a RED ! and then do a restore device. 

If you have any battery operated devices be sure to disable automatic writes to battery devices before you try to do the restore to your hardwired devices.

Whole bunch of can't find ... and writing ...  
Replace PLM command.
Completed ... and nothing. 

The whole bunch of writing and can’t find sounds like queued up commands on ISY. Were they successful?

First off, I’d open a ticket UDI.

Sounds like plm, ISY and maybe the Insteon devices are not in sync. I don’t think the restore plm was successful. Did you watch the event viewer? Other than the huge queue it trying to write. My thought would be to factory reset the plm and then restore plm again to at least get ISY and plm in sync but some of that sriting could be to the devices where it replaces the plm address in them.

Do you have an ISY backup just before you started this process? …

Contact UDI.

Thanks for the help.

I missed part of the first restore ... (multi-tasking)

Eventually it does stop writing to all the things, and the admin console just sits there.
I have had them populated all green / properly. But then through the phone or other thing, commands don't respond. 

I should have a recent ISY backup. Yes. 

Will look into resetting the PLM and trying again. 

And, yes, I probably should write UDI ... 

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, maxelgato said:

I'm just curious, I have been watching these posts for years and wondering why UD has not upgraded their unit to USB after all of this time given the serial port version of the PLM has been discontinued for years.

The serial version hasn't been discontinued for years which is why. Besides, both serial and USB versions are now out of stock so it doesn't matter.

Also, UDI already has a new controller out which supports the USB version called Polisy.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, maxelgato said:

I'm just curious, I have been watching these posts for years and wondering why UD has not upgraded their unit to USB after all of this time given the serial port version of the PLM has been discontinued for years.

UDI has upgraded their unit, and it is called polisy.

Polisy has several USB ports on it, while ISY994 has none and cannot support USB devices.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, maxelgato said:

Obviously you haven't been watching these posts for years, because the second half of your statement is blatantly false.

Edited by MrBill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'll just add it on to this thread since it's going to be short lived.... but there is an ebay item that includes an ISY994 and a 2413s PLM that ends in just under 5 hours from now... the current bid is only 158.50

Disclaimer: It's not my item, nor do I know who the seller is... just pointing it out for folks that needs a 2413s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165400623567

4 hours ago, MrBill said:

I'll just add it on to this thread since it's going to be short lived.... but there is an ebay item that includes an ISY994 and a 2413s PLM that ends in just under 5 hours from now... the current bid is only 158.50

Disclaimer: It's not my item, nor do I know who the seller is... just pointing it out for folks that needs a 2413s.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165400623567

$420 USD

• 2 weeks later...