Insteon SwitchLinc started beeping out of nowhere

35 minutes ago, ase said:

How in the world is using tools, some of them designed by the Manufacture of the product, bad? I am trying to show users another way to do thing, the proper way according to the manufacture of the product. The problems don't start from using ISY or any other software for that matter. They start from improper installation, much of that information that leads to improper installation is coming right from this forum, in the first place. That has been my point, and I get the internet equivalent of beaten up for saying that in the open!

Now come on, Let's be nice and Let's be honest.  I am here to help people and I think you are too. Is running around doing factory resets by hand a valid way? Sure. But let's be truthful, it isn't the only way to do a factory reset and a factory reset isn't always the best way either. Sometimes the best way is to dig into logs, link tables, and so on. 

"We can not solve problems, with the same thinking we used to create them" --Einstein

Please. What do you know about the manufacturer? Have you been in their offices, seen their processes, know ANY of the people? I can say yes to every single one of those questions. Hell, I've met both the old and new owner. Trust me when I say, I've forgotten more things about insteon than you think you know

Even with what insteon has written for public use (and their own in house stuff), they still recommended a manual factory reset.

Yes, doing it from software is easier if you know what you're doing and have the tools available. But leading a newbie with limited knowledge down that path, does a disservice to them overall. 

The crazy part is that you're talking down on everyone here who is trying to help others for free. Yet, insteon's own support team would lurk on the forum from time to time to learn and get answers about stuff. 

On 12/12/2021 at 8:14 PM, Gunn said:

Well, unfortunately this thread is not going to have a solution, just like all the others. 

I have 57 devices in my home and I have used the Hub ever since the Hub came out (had Insteon devices even before the Hub existed). So when I just got the ISY994 I didn't want to mess with anything. So when I added my first device to the ISY/PLM, I had it scour the Insteon links and it pulled in all of my devices in one fell swoop for the most part. I was impressed!

However, the ISY seemed to have messed up every single of of my KeypadLincs. The lights didn't correspond with the button presses anymore (a lot of them control Fans), and all kinds of weird things. Then this beeping started on the one switch. And the numerous scenes that the ISY created made no sense to me....I couldn't figure them out. They didn't seem to jive with what was actually happening in my home.

So today I printed a checklist and went through and factory reset EVERY.SINGLE.ONE. of my Insteon devices, from the crawl space to the attic. Argghhh. Then I reset and unplugged the Hub (hopefully for good) and reset the PLM and the ISY994. 

Now I am starting over adding devices one by one and creating scenes. Everything is much more intuitive and making sense. Easier to organize as you go. But I have found lots of discrepancies in the documentation. Looks like it hasn't been updated in awhile as the UI has changed. But that's for another topic.

Bottom line, no more beeping from that switch after a factory reset. Shrug. No idea.

Thanks for the help though!

I see you figured it out.  Unfortunately, crawling a network, while a lovely idea, just doesn't work very well.  Even if it got every link perfect, ISY would have no idea how to organize your devices/scenes in folders or what name to give anything.  You end up spending more time figuring out what is what than it would take to just do it from scratch.  And then there is the risk of weirdness (like your beep problem).  

It is too late now, but if you have hard to get to devices, I would not get too hung up on doing a hard factory reset.  If you delete it from ISY then add it manually (must know the address) and tell ISY to wipe all old links, that has always worked in my experience.

All,
Please ignore users if you do not agree with them and refrain from posting this type of content as it is no help to anyone.
LoL! Great advice..so I didn't respond to you either.

default_smile.pngdefault_smile.png

BTW: I have installed your remote app and it works quite well and is impressive!

I will not use it that often so have no suggestions just yet but it was real handy to tweak a few thing while away fir three weeks in Mexico!

Thanks for what you have done so far! Much appreciated.

Feliz Navidad!

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

Archived